Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Here's the (odd?) thing about Bejeweled 2: Now I've never played this game and have no idea how it handles on other WM devices, but in short it don't multitask with the Treo Pro.

What I mean is if you launch it but hit the Red key (home screen) it automatically shuts down/unloads the app. I have 28mb pre-load and it takes about 4mb of RAM, so it's not too low on memory. I dunno if that's the way Astraware designed it, but it's odd on a WM device to have that happen.

Nothing really crashes on the Treo Pro, it just unloads apps, lol. IE6 is usually the first to go.
    On the 800w, it pretty much takes over the screen and buttons, you can't escape out of it. I don't know what happens if you get a call when playing.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    On the 800w, it pretty much takes over the screen and buttons, you can't escape out of it. I don't know what happens if you get a call when playing.
    Try your Green Button, that takes you to the Today screen from any app.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Green button is non-responsive, so is my Start button and side button, which I have mapped.

By holding down the Red button (flight mode) I was able to get the menubar at the top to appear and could do other stuff by touching the screen. Once I loaded another program, only then could I use the keyboard and buttons as normal. Not very multi-tasking friendly on the 800w either.
    One of the main reasons I switched from Palm OS to WinMob was multitasking, I need to leave websites open when making or receiving a call, then go back to what I was doing. Works great on the 800w but it is strange on the Sprint Pro, the phone ramdomly closes IE6 and it is annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    One of the main reasons I switched from Palm OS to WinMob was multitasking, I need to leave websites open when making or receiving a call, then go back to what I was doing. Works great on the 800w but it is strange on the Sprint Pro, the phone ramdomly closes IE6 and it is annoying.
    there is a reg edit for this. i think it was the mogul that did this when first released. when you would leave pie it would bring you back to home screen when you returned. this drove me crazy until i saw the reg edit fix. it was soon fixed by htc with one of the first rom updates. i will try and dig up the fix.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    And look at all that Storage!

Why would they do that?

Can a Repartition be done?
    If they don't do it, can we?
    No, but you can remove programs from the ROM which are running, change the cache sizes and change the pagepool. Those will all increase the amount of free RAM at boot.
    The RAM issue is very disappointing. As mentioned this is not new technology. My Touch Pro has 135MB remaining and over 260MB on the Storage side (installed every app on the device). If they are not fixing (if they are even able to) then the memory IS a deal breaker. At least it is to me, especially being spoiled with the Touch Pro specs. This could be very well be dud#2 in less than a years time. Hopefully the new version has something better to offer.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    No, but you can remove programs from the ROM which are running, change the cache sizes and change the pagepool. Those will all increase the amount of free RAM at boot.
    You shouldn't have to remove programs that are running.

And you certainly should not have to resort to a custom ROM in order to change the cache sizes or pagepool. That's a pretty darn inexcusable.

Also, changing the cache sizes and pagepool may increase the free RAM at boot, but you also may kill the speed of the device.

Devices such as the 700wx are increasing their pagepool size (decreasing free RAM) in order to speed up the device. The Pro needs all the speed it can get, so killing the speed to free up some memory is pretty much robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    I agree with you on the memory. My Touch Pro: 135mb program free & 255mb storage free. I would not want to step back.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    The RAM issue is very disappointing. As mentioned this is not new technology. My Touch Pro has 135MB remaining and over 260MB on the Storage side (installed every app on the device). If they are not fixing (if they are even able to) then the memory IS a deal breaker. At least it is to me, especially being spoiled with the Touch Pro specs. This could be very well be dud#2 in less than a years time. Hopefully the new version has something better to offer.
    It is uncertain, but there is a chance that the memory is what they are addressing with the release delay
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    And you certainly should not have to resort to a custom ROM in order to change the cache sizes or pagepool.
    Please post how you're able to change the pagepool on your 800w without changing the ROM.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Please post how you're able to change the pagepool on your 800w without changing the ROM.
    Off topic. Please take any 800w discussion out of this thread.

Back on topic: IE6 & RAM

It just won't/can't stay open for very long. This one is particuarly strange as no matter what page IE6 is on, how much/little RAM it is using, it will close on its own within a given time (an hour?).

Very frustrating.

LiveSearch is another that just won't stay open in the background. It makes it feel like multi-tasking barely exists on this phone at times.

It just won't/can't stay open for very long. This one is particuarly strange as no matter what page IE6 is on, how much/little RAM it is using, it will close on its own within a given time (an hour?).

Very frustrating.

LiveSearch is another that just won't stay open in the background. It makes it feel like multi-tasking barely exists on this phone at times.
    mal,
    Do you think that might be intentional? I mean lots of complaints on wm are about having to manually close programs with task manager, something, and this is a rough guess, 90% of typical users would not know to do.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    mal,
    Do you think that might be intentional? I mean lots of complaints on wm are about having to manually close programs with task manager, something, and this is a rough guess, 90% of typical users would not know to do.
    Wm has always had some type of memory management where it force closes apps when low on memory. It closes them on a priority basis.

What is weird here is the IE6 always closes, even if I have 30mb left. I'm just not sure why that would be the case. Either way, it's kind of a pain when you want to jump back to that page you thought open.

So if its intentional or not, it's still frustrating.

I agree that would be a pain. I get pushed off with calls all the time
    Wm has always had some type of memory management where it force closes apps when low on memory. It closes them on a priority basis.

What is weird here is the IE6 always closes, even if I have 30mb left. I'm just not sure why that would be the case. Either way, it's kind of a pain when you want to jump back to that page you thought open.

So if its intentional or not, it's still frustrating.
    It's also possible it isn't memory related and IE6 is simply crashing in the background...
    This has to be a Sprint thing? My GSM TP on AT&T has never done this. I know Sprint has some goos phone plans but I will be staying right here with ATT. I have been with them/Cingular for 11 years anyway. I dont get the huge differences.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    It's also possible it isn't memory related and IE6 is simply crashing in the background...
    Yeah, that's quite likely too as this seems independent of RAM availability.

Yeah, that's quite likely too as this seems independent of RAM availability.
    Best buy sending the remaining stock back is good news. It means that this wasn't a hold to check on something which then passed, but some kind of actual fix.

My current theory: they were waiting for TC test results!

Seriously this leaves:
    1) adjustment of user available ram
    2) ?
    3)?
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Best buy sending the remaining stock back is good news. It means that this wasn't a hold to check on something which then passed, but some kind of actual fix.

My current theory: they were waiting for TC test results!

Seriously this leaves:
    1) adjustment of user available ram
    2) ?
    3)?
    Do you think they really pay attention to these boards? It would certainly be beneficial to them but I don't know if we can assume that? Then again, I am a noob. It would be cool if we had weight
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast