Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i think the 800w speaker (both earpiece and external) sound muffled. but im also coming from a moto q9c (arguably the best cell phone speakers to date) so im a little bias in that regard

also, the crackling is just bad. theres no reason for it. the tro pro and pre better have awesome speakers or i wont have any reason to leave the 800w.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by spacetrader View Post
    i think the 800w speaker (both earpiece and external) sound muffled. but im also coming from a moto q9c (arguably the best cell phone speakers to date) so im a little bias in that regard

also, the crackling is just bad. theres no reason for it. the tro pro and pre better have awesome speakers or i wont have any reason to leave the 800w.
    So try this mod and the QPST one, and enjoy a phone you have no reason to leave.
    I did the candle trick, it is rather brilliant actually. I opened up the whole slot, and the first time I made a test call, I needed to check to make sure it wasn't on speakerphone...

Time to turn down the volume...
    stupid question:
    for the Easy method, do we have to take the phone apart first or can we just start poking the holes with the heated pin?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by spam2000 View Post
    stupid question:
    for the Easy method, do we have to take the phone apart first or can we just start poking the holes with the heated pin?
    The safe way would be to take it apart. But I cleaned up mine a bit with a heated pin without removing it.

I would go very slow and be very careful.
  6. OFN
    just did this on mine, even managed to keep the sticker intact! The sounds is FREAKING AWESOME NOW. Used a hot pin and melted the slot out. Cleaned it up with a small fingernail file. Looks good, sounds great.

KP
    I would like to do this mod, but do not want to void the warranty. I think I can hold out for another 5 months when the warranty expires. By the way, I am interested in opening the speaker cover up to clean it out as Ebagg said there was lots of buildup inside, but I dont know where to put the screwdriver in. Is it in the whole where the water damage sticker is or is it on the side near it?

Edit:
    Oh wait, looking closer now, when you refer to wedge, do you mean right on the corner the the silver trim? That little bump closest to the side button with the raised dot (it's my voice command button).
  8.    #28  
    I think so. It's almost impossible to describe via text (though I could show you in person in about 2 seconds).

If in doubt take it down to a cell place that can pop it off for you. They can do it quickly and easily. Any Sprint store with an in-store tech (we lost ours ) can do it too.

Honestly if you do it right, then I doubt even Palm would realize it (other than the sticker getting messed up, if you open it up that way).

On a related note, I was using my phone while driving home (no silly no cell use while driving laws up here ). I had to double check I wasn't on speaker phone (thought I had bumped the speaker phone button while on the call). I can say it's definitely louder after using it for a while now.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    i just picked up a mint 800w less than 2 months old for $100. I appreciate the help you all have put in the FAQ.

i just did the speaker and shocked on the difference in clarity.

thanks all.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Improve volume???? My 800 is so freakin' LOUD when the volume is at max level!!!!
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    Improve volume???? My 800 is so freakin' LOUD when the volume is at max level!!!!
    They must have put an Alpine amplifier in yours. The 800 suffers from lack of sound and clearity. Either that or you have Superman's hearing.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    They must have put an Alpine amplifier in yours. The 800 suffers from lack of sound and clearity. Either that or you have Superman's hearing.
    actually, I think it's the other way around: some of us just have normal hearing while the rest of you are suffering from NIHL (noise induced hearing loss)--didn't you say you and your sons are fans of nascar?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Could be the Sprint reception in NYC -- it's EXCELLENT.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    actually, I think it's the other way around: some of us just have normal hearing while the rest of you are suffering from NIHL (noise induced hearing loss)--didn't you say you and your sons are fans of nascar?
    I don't think you, Ebag and others would be putting hot pins into your 800's if there wasn't an issue. If Palm had not had this problem and had decent battery life maybe the 800 would have stuck around for awhile.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Wait a minute, after all the many posts here in this forum where people have been asking for ways to increase the volume without busting open the device, there's now a debate about whether the 800w volume is low .

Oh this place is full time entertainment!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Wait a minute, after all the many posts here in this forum where people have been asking for ways to increase the volume without busting open the device, there's now a debate about whether the 800w volume is low .

Oh this place is full time entertainment!
    I have never found it to be low. I have 2 friends who also don't find it low and there are forum members here who agree.

So yeah, its up for "debate" as you say. Actually, not so much debate as just preference. And no joke, I do blame NIHL for this need to have phones blaring loud--it's going to be a real serious problem in about 10-15 years according to ASHA.

The Treo Pro was loud...in fact I never pushed it past the 4th or 5th tick, which means that extra boost was useless for myself. Even on the 800w I don't max it out.
    I don't think you, Ebag and others would be putting hot pins into your 800's if there wasn't an issue. If Palm had not had this problem and had decent battery life maybe the 800 would have stuck around for awhile.
    I haven't done this trick to my 800w. For those who do prefer it louder, I'm glad someone came up with a 2 min trick to improve it for them. I dunno, not really controversial. The earpiece on the Touch Pro is reporetedly terrible too. Nothing new as the 1st post says "just like the mogul,touch, and the Diamond..." (I'd throw in the ppc-6700 too), people have always complained of it "not being loud enough". Software hack vs. hardware hack. In fact, this was from today:
    OK guys. I have a two week old Sprint Touch Pro. The volume is crap both in the bluetooth, speaker and earpiece. I first read all the threads , installed the loudest cab and soft reset. No difference. I uninstalled and then repeated the process and still not a noticable difference. I uninstalled and tried the lower boost and repeated all the steps. I am not a newbie so I know I did this correctly but this isn't working for the newer release phones I guess.
    just business as usual in a 400 post thread on the topic for the Pro; harping on one device is really missing the larger pheneomon

since you guys don't actually own/use/like/prefer 800w's anymore, I hope you are as concerned about the "terrible" volume on your Touch Pros and posting diligently on the issue as you are about the 800w ;-)
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/02/2009 at 09:35 PM.

Although the very existence of this thread is a testimony to the contrary, I'll toss out this tidbit for those who find the headset volume to be "too loud".

We tested the dual-band (CDMA 850/1900; EV-DO Rev. A) Palm Treo 800w in San Francisco using Sprint service, and call quality was mixed. On our end, audio sounded quite clear and the volume was almost too loud for us. We had no problems talking with friends or using an airline's voice automated system. Unfortunately, things weren't so peachy on the other side. Our callers said our voices sounded digitized and conversations got broken up a couple of times. The speakerphone wasn't tops either. On both ends, there was a noticeable background hiss that didn't prevent us from having a conversation but definitely made it less enjoyable.
    (For the record, I was not the first to bring up the Touch Pro in this thread, but since it's been mentioned I'll talk about it. I was not going to include anything about the Touch Pro in this comment, but while writing it I noticed somebody edited their comment to include talk about the Touch Pro, so it's in.)

I would not claim the Touch Pro has terribly loud handset earpiece volume, but it is a bit clearer than the 800w. I prefer to use the BT headset and the BT volume issues with the 800w caused me to stop using my BT headset with the 800w. While not terribly loud, the 800w earpiece maintains the volume you set it at, unlike how it handles BT call volume. Finally happy using my BT headset again since getting a Touch Pro. I would not say the BT volume on either device is low when turned up, but the 800w's BT volume issues always ensured the call volume started out too low.

The CNet review of the Sprint Touch Pro's call sound quality reads a bit better than that of the 800w.
    We tested the dual-band (CDMA 850/1900; EV-DO Rev. A) in San Francisco using Sprint service and call quality was generally good. There were a couple of times where voices sounded slightly muffled, but for the most part, we enjoyed admirable sound quality with very little distortion or background noise. We also had no problem checking flight information using an airline's voice-automated system. Our friends also reported good results. Speakerphone quality was OK. We were able to carry on conversations, but there was some slight voice distortion.
    Bonnie Cha reviewed both devices.
    great, fascinating, so people have differing opinions on speaker volume for phones, glad my day wasn't wasted

now back on topic of this thread, for those who actually own/use an 800w...

I just tried this on my device (snow day, bored) and while nice, I don't notice that much of a difference yet, though I'll try calling someone else tomorrow for a longer test.

I did the pin/lighter method and it was really easy and straight forward. Took 2 minutes to do and don't see much risk at all, outside of purposefully jamming a needle through you speaker.

19. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Although the very existence of this thread is a testimony to the contrary, I'll toss out this tidbit for those who find the headset volume to be "too loud".
    Oh, thank goodness... I was so worried I couldn't trust my ears until you pointed out that a moron at Cnet agreed with me... Phew...
    Well as Mal put it, there are people who will not be trying this mod. I think the volume of the phone is loud enough for me. Must be my "normal" hearing.
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast