Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The sound quality of the calls is absolutely terrible.

It sounds as if the phone is under a pillow.

Is there anything that can be done about this? My old 700wx sounds worlds better.

Other than that, I am liking this phone. But, seeing as it is, you know, a device to *talk* to people with, I am very saddened and disappointed with the sound quality.

Can anything at all be done to improve this?
    See the FAQ about a hack to make it louder.

Get a dremmel and make the hole bigger? No joke, a bunch of us did that on the ppc-6700 years ago! lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    x2 (on the hack, not on the dremel! )

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175091

I have a hard(er) time hearing (than your average person), and pre-hack I wasn't very happy with the 800w (it was quieter than my old 700wx).

Post hack I find it's actually louder and cleared than my old 700wx.

It's well worth doing. (And as long as you're in there, look at the FAQ and do the other 2 or 3 QPST tweaks. )

Get a dremmel and make the hole bigger? No joke, a bunch of us did that on the ppc-6700 years ago! lol
    That might be an answer after comparing the earpiece hole on the Treo Pro vs the 800w. Hole on the Pro is probably 6 times larger. I may try it...
    lol...done that to some old nextel phones I used to have.

Unfortunately, the hack doesn't do much good. Louder and muddy is only slightly better than quiet and muddy. It's just a shoddy speaker. Some people hate it while others tolerate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    That might be an answer after comparing the earpiece hole on the Treo Pro vs the 800w. Hole on the Pro is probably 6 times larger. I may try it...
    lol, you noticed that too! Yeah, it's like that slit could be opened up a bit. It makes sense if a lot of the sound is being bounced back into the device that it'd be quieter and not as dynamic--like its being muffled.

Someone should try

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    lol, you noticed that too! Yeah, it's like that slit could be opened up a bit. It makes sense if a lot of the sound is being bounced back into the device that it'd be quieter and not as dynamic--like its being muffled.

Someone should try
    I am looking for disassembly instructions now, have not found so far...
    There are none.

I happen to have a couple of screw drivers sitting next to me though that fits the torx perfectly.....hmmm....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    There are none.

I happen to have a couple of screw drivers sitting next to me though that fits the torx perfectly.....hmmm....
    I think I could get it by looking at the parts in this thread, I just don't know how the back top cover is removed. Looks like there are two more screws in each corner under the cover. Don't want to break it.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=internal+pics
    This disassembly guide for the 500 has a cover similar to the 800w.
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta...st_Treo500.pdf
    This disassembly guide for the 500 has a cover similar to the 800w.
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta...st_Treo500.pdf
    Perfect! That's almost exactly how it's put together.

Couple of tips.

(For all references I will use "SD side" and "non-SD Side". I think you guys can figure out what that means... )

For the antenna cover, attack it from the non-SD side. There's a rounded little...well, edge there, and it's designed to slip a pick in. I just used a jewelers flat head screw driver.

Once you get that side off (there's 2 spots to pop IIRC), you can attack the other side. Once those two are off, the rest should be cake.

I was worried about damaging something under this cover. Don't. There's nothing there to damage really, unless you go seriously crazy. The biggest danger is cracking the plastic housing.

For separating the front cover, start on the SD side right under the SD card slot. If you leverage the case away from the frame you can see on the bottom of the phone two little tabs (either side of the micro USB port). This you just push in, and the case pops right off. Continue working around the phone on the non-SD side, and that whole side should pop out rather easily.

You can then attack the SD side, leaving only the top to get off which should be easy.

Once the case was apart I just used a push pin to break up the slot around the ear piece hole. I think used that jewelers flathead screwdriver to scrape it all down flat.

Be very careful with this step as you're focusing a lot of pressure on a small area. I could hear my housing creaking at times.

I went ahead and opened up the whole slot. Unless you look very closely it looks OEM. Honestly I doubt even a Sprint tech would notice.

The only catch is over one of the screws is a little red Palm sticker. No way to get that off without destroying it. So you're definitely voiding your warranty (and more importantly, Palm is gonna know it ).

If most of the tweaks/fixes are a 1 banana fix (download CAB and install), and QPST is a 3 banana fix, I'd put this at a 2 banana. Not hard at all, just takes patience.

Results? Well so far I've only called myself and put the handset up to a speaker playing music. Not a very good test. It's certainly louder. I never really had the muddy speaker, so I can't tell you if it helped in that regard.

Word of warning: DO NOT attempt this with the case on the phone. The speakerphone speaker has a metal grill over it to protect it. This does not. You are almost definitely going to destroy your speaker.

I will try and write up a guide at some point with some pics.
    I did it also, but this way.
    I went to my local sprint store tech and he took the phone apart, gave me the back cover, I took it to a jeweler around the corner and he drilled the hole bigger, then took back to the sprint store and he put the phone back together, it looked like a bear to get the phone apart. I was more conservative and didn't open up the entire slot. (I should have)

Now I can say the muddiness that I had is gone and the phone earpiece is louder, much better sounding to me. It only makes sense after looking at the opening on the Pro.
    Next time I think I will open it up myself per Ebag's instructions. I definately recommend this case modification.

Edit:
    In side by side testing with the Pro, before and after the mod, the Pro quality is still better, but the 800w is closer to the quality of the Pro.
    Last edited by jimh2000; 01/28/2009 at 08:05 PM.
    Edit:
    In side by side testing with the Pro, before and after the mod, the Pro quality is still better, but the 800w is closer to the quality of the Pro.
    Shucks. I was really hoping that it would match the quality of the Treo Pro but thanks a bunch for being the first to try it.
    I would say on a scale of 1 to 10, the Pro is a 9+, better than most phones I have owned or tried. While this mod greatly improves the 800w, it doesn't get to that level, but that's in my opinion, others may think differently.
    I would say on a scale of 1 to 10, the Pro is a 9+, better than most phones I have owned or tried. While this mod greatly improves the 800w, it doesn't get to that level, but that's in my opinion, others may think differently.
    Are you talking about your Treo Pro or a Touch Pro?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Are you talking about your Treo Pro or a Touch Pro?
    oops, should have said the Sprint Treo Pro...
    oops, should have said the Sprint Treo Pro...
    Yea, even when ones say TP I'm still not sure.
    We really need to call it something like STP

and maybe UTP for Unlocked and ATP if it comes to Att and VTP for verizon.

I don't know, it's just people have been using TP and Pro for both Touch and Treo Pro
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    We really need to call it something like STP
    Then I can make jokes about how you need to get a shot of antibiotics for that.

On the same scale, what would you rate an 800w pre/post the mod?

Also, have you done the QPST tweak?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast