Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Over 20K an hour. At that rate, if Sprint has 100K ready to roll they could be done in less than a day.
    That's a minimum time though.

Figure in lunches, breaks, time it takes to swap phones around, hook them up, unhook them, the one phone that's not gonna flash right and hold everything up, simply moving them (moving even 1k phones is not easy), etc, and you could easily be multiplying that 100 fold.
    nope non whats so ever...funny thing i am lookin at my 800w did a hard reset and i see it on there lol not on here though
  3.    #143  
    On my Sprint Treo Pro, instant messaging icon is in programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    nope non whats so ever...funny thing i am lookin at my 800w did a hard reset and i see it on there lol not on here though
    bring it to best buy for exchange
    oddly enough I hard reset, and sure enough the icon was there i saved it to my sd card did a restore of all my old stuff and will install it that way....must have been some retard at best buy who deleted it cause when I got the phone it was the last one or so he said, cause i did ask for a new sealed on but all he had was the one he let me look at...should I exchange it anyways? Considering the vibrate issue constantly wen a text comes in vibrate mode, and the freeze when i press sms
    I just did a COMPLETE restore using sprite...and ALL my text are gone.....this program must be garbage and explains why the give it for free....i always used SPB and it restored and backed up EVERY lil thing...whats wrong here?
    and its not even an EXE file so you have to have this program just to use it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's a minimum time though.

Figure in lunches, breaks, time it takes to swap phones around, hook them up, unhook them, the one phone that's not gonna flash right and hold everything up, simply moving them (moving even 1k phones is not easy), etc, and you could easily be multiplying that 100 fold.
    Mal got his intel from an expert who does it. I'll take their word for it. 100,000 / 20983 = <5. That leaves 3 hours + for any other delays.

Of course if you're right, than we might not see the Treo Pro released with Sprint till months from now .
    Of course if you're right, than we might not see the Treo Pro released with Sprint till months from now .
    Well there's obviously a reason why they're delaying it so far back.

If they could really flash them all in a day, then it should have all been done within a week. 2-3 days shipping them back, 1 day flashing, 2-3 days shipping back to the store.

The fact that they are delaying it for an unknown period of time (but no earlier than late Feb) means there's a reason why they need that 45+ days.

If flashing is only 1 of those days, and shipping about 6-7, then what's the other 3-5 weeks needed for?
    If flashing is only 1 of those days, and shipping about 6-7, then what's the other 3-5 weeks needed for?
    I don't know, maybe they test them or something. Or maybe it takes time for Sprint to get them to all the sales points once they get them all back.

And there's still a possibility the 2/15 date could become reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    Do you thing they will recall every new phone delivered and including the ones in the warehouse, open each box and reflash? I would think it would be an OTA update and they just want to have it ready for the public rollout.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it's been done before -- and for HTC devices no less. I know it sounds sketch, but I can't remember offhand what phone it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it's been done before -- and for HTC devices no less. I know it sounds sketch, but I can't remember offhand what phone it was.
    It was the Sprint HTC Touch Pro. There was talk of delay in October and November they were released. That's what Mal's citation was regarding.
    I don't know, maybe they test them or something. Or maybe it takes time for Sprint to get them to all the sales points once they get them all back.

And there's still a possibility the 2/15 date could become reality.
    2/15 would still be a month. Shipping back isn't a problem.

I work for one of the larger fruit and gift companies in the US. We have shipping facilities staged across the US, so I have a very good idea of exactly how this sort of thing is handled, as we are constantly shipping to our stores.

Like I said, 2-3 days from the locations back to the warehouse, and then 2-3 days from the warehouse back to the locations. Even assuming the warehouse was across the US from the location, you're talking a 7-8 day round trip maximum. If it's only a day or two to flash, then a 30+ delay doesn't make sense.

Now if you're talking about a week (or two) to flash, then a 30-45 day timeframe makes sense. First week is burnt getting them in and sorting them out. Second (and possibly third) weeks burnt flashing them. Fourth week burnt sending them back out. One to two weeks to make sure that they're all distributed (wouldn't do to have half the stores have them and half not).

Now that would make sense.
    I'll take the word of those at HTC which Mal cited in his report, who are working in the smart phone device field.

This all was already done with tens of thousands of Sprint HTC Touch Pros.

It does not make sense to you, fine, it does not mean we have to agree.

But since it's Mal who brought us the information, perhaps you can ask him whatever other questions you might have or direct whatever you feel about what makes sense in his direction for a response. If he agrees that a system designed to reflash over 20K devices in an hour needs 100 times that to do 100K because of various delays like lunch breaks and plugging in another set of devices, that's his take.

I've said all I intend to say about it.
    Last edited by darnell; 01/29/2009 at 11:20 PM.
    Well there's obviously a reason why they're delaying it so far back.
    The delay from the 25 Jan to the 15 Feb is three weeks, three and ahlaf if you go back to brightpoint of Jan 21.

I think the flash, the logistics and the shipping is the least of it, five days to a week. the rest would be:
    - created fix
    - testing the fix

Of course all of that may have started on the 20th for all we knwo.

Then there are all kinds of things we don't know, for example of the the discontinued 800w* inventory is high there would be less urgency to get it done. If there are shortages of htc touch pro, there might be more urgency.

To a lesser degree, there might be claims and counter claims as to whose fault it is and therefore who should pay to have this done. If there were 50,000 units out the door in china and somewhere between the west pacific and Kansas when the need for a fix was discoverd and it costs $10 to $20 per unit to fix, and a few hundred grand in engineering time, somebody is spending around a million bucks in a tight economy.

* I think the idea that 800w EOL is fully supported by the 50% price cut to to $99.
  16.    #156  
    More speedtests results-
    Using WiFiRouter connected to a laptop with Sprint Treo Pro and 800w going to PCpitstop and Speedtest.net sites:

800w - 802 down / 355 up
    Pro - 1425 / 500
    Sprint PC Card - 1350 / 450

After running several tests, the pro was fastest, the PC Card was close and the slowest was the 800w. Is it my 800w that is slow or is this typical?

I would like to figure out why the Pro is faster than the 800w, a question for the experts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I would like to figure out why the Pro is faster than the 800w, a question for the experts.
    The Pro has faster hardware.

Faster hardware allows for faster data transfer through the device.

If your Sprint card is the AircardŽ 595 by Sierra Wireless, it has the same processor as the Treo 800w, but the card is a dedicated device, while the 800w is not. If the faster processor in the Treo Pro were in a dedicated wireless card, you'd see even faster numbers.
    Jimh2000, if you have time, please take part in this benchmark testing. We need numbers for the Sprint Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    You know, I think Sprint should just release the phone. It will save them alot of money. OK, some will get mad cause the phone suck.

Have you all flash your router or flash your ROM on your computer? It is easy stuff. Sure a few of us will brick it like perhaps power outage when doing it.

Also maybe we can all get a cook ROM for the Pro too.

I also dont understand why company do not check it out first before releasing the phone. It now cost them even more to do recall.

Go google 1 TB Seagate hd. The failure rate is so high. I just sent my hd in and they get me another one. They lost alot of money by doing this.

Things I just dont get it or make sense.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    You know, I think Sprint should just release the phone. It will save them alot of money. OK, some will get mad cause the phone suck.

Have you all flash your router or flash your ROM on your computer? It is easy stuff. Sure a few of us will brick it like perhaps power outage when doing it.

Also maybe we can all get a cook ROM for the Pro too.

I also dont understand why company do not check it out first before releasing the phone. It now cost them even more to do recall.

Go google 1 TB Seagate hd. The failure rate is so high. I just sent my hd in and they get me another one. They lost alot of money by doing this.

Things I just dont get it or make sense.
    They won't release it because they know many would not perform the update and there would be bad talk about the device which is avoided by not releasing yet. The few that got into the wild is nothing compared to if the device was already being openly sold.

While some here enjoy adding hacks later, many business buyers don't want a device till its known bugs are gone.

Sub-par QC/QA is what allows defects out the door. With something like the Treo Pro, it should have been triple checked, by HTC (the ODM), by Palm and by Sprint.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast