Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    Keyguard can be disabled in the settings screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post

I hate keyguard, just don't need it. Well with front keyboards I can see using it.
    With the Touch Pro we don't need a keyguard. The only button that will turn the screen on is on top of the device. The area most holsters and things don't often press against.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    Keyguard can be disabled in the settings screen.
    I'm aware of that but I like using the keyguard On WM Treos, all buttons can turn on the device (Green, Red, Email, Calendar, Start and Ok) meaning it's very easy to accidentally turn it on and call someone.

Here's a weird thing: disable it in settings but using the Red key ALWAYS re-enables it on power off.

So basically if you don't want the KG, you have to always use the TOP power button only.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Why is Palm having their devices wait 20 minutes to start with a dead battery? This is not a complaint with HTC devices, so it's got to be something Palm is having put in.
    My guess is that it's a battery protection thing.

Running a battery to absolute 0 will kill it *REAL* quick. Depending on the type of battery I've seen some that running to to 0 will knock as much as 25% of the battery capacity!

Now the batteries that the phones use aren't that bad, but running it down to 0 ain't good for it. I know that on the phones I've looked into, 0% isn't actually 0%, as the phone leaves a buffer in the battery when it shuts down. I've always assumed that this is due to the fact that the phone is never really completely off, unless you actually pull the battery. (So even when it's 0% and off, it's not really completely powered down.)

Additionally the lower the battery level is the harder it is on the battery if you use it while charging.

I've always thought that it's a protection of sorts, that will let the battery charge up to a certain point before letting you use the phone, to prevent damage to the battery. There's some registry entries that I stumbled across at one point or another that seems to support this (along with having various things like killing the phone if the battery temp is too high, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm aware of that but I like using the keyguard On WM Treos, all buttons can turn on the device (Green, Red, Email, Calendar, Start and Ok) meaning it's very easy to accidentally turn it on and call someone.

Here's a weird thing: disable it in settings but using the Red key ALWAYS re-enables it on power off.

So basically if you don't want the KG, you have to always use the TOP power button only.
    That IS odd. I never tried that. I like the KG myself. It can always be bypasses on turn-off by using the top button. Good flexibilty IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    My guess is that it's a battery protection thing
    I think you have it right
    If Palm is doing it to preserve the buyer's battery life, I feel it would be best as a configurable option in the device settings. So the buyer can decide for themselves.

They do often give old cell phones to former spousal abuse victims. I mean if one has a Treo 800w or Treo Pro and tries to plug it in to call 911 when the battery is dead .
    Last edited by darnell; 01/31/2009 at 07:45 PM.
    If Palm is doing it to preserve the buyer's battery life, I feel it would be best as a configurable option in the device settings. So the buyer can decide for themselves.
    There are some settings in the registry that you can change around this. Not sure if you can effect it at that level though, it might happen at the firmware level.

They do often give old cell phones to former spousal abuse victims. I mean if one has a Treo 800w or Treo Pro and tries to plug it in to call 911 when the battery is dead .
    I don't think they'd give a smartphone to someone like that. Too complex to use in an emergency.
    My guess is that it's a battery protection thing.

Running a battery to absolute 0 will kill it *REAL* quick. Depending on the type of battery I've seen some that running to to 0 will knock as much as 25% of the battery capacity!

Now the batteries that the phones use aren't that bad, but running it down to 0 ain't good for it. I know that on the phones I've looked into, 0% isn't actually 0%, as the phone leaves a buffer in the battery when it shuts down. I've always assumed that this is due to the fact that the phone is never really completely off, unless you actually pull the battery. (So even when it's 0% and off, it's not really completely powered down.)

Additionally the lower the battery level is the harder it is on the battery if you use it while charging.

I've always thought that it's a protection of sorts, that will let the battery charge up to a certain point before letting you use the phone, to prevent damage to the battery. There's some registry entries that I stumbled across at one point or another that seems to support this (along with having various things like killing the phone if the battery temp is too high, etc).
    So, it is not like other batteries? I have always been told to run batteries on other items like laptops down to 0 once in a while to prolong the life of the battery. Is that info also wrong or are there differences?

I don't think they'd give a smartphone to someone like that. Too complex to use in an emergency.
    The charities that offer free cell phones to such individuals accept a pass on any that are given to them, even smart phones.
    So, it is not like other batteries? I have always been told to run batteries on other items like laptops down to 0 once in a while to prolong the life of the battery. Is that info also wrong or are there differences?
    That was true when batteries had a memory.

Quite the opposite for phone batteries, they like to be charged as often as possible, even if you don't charge it all the way. Keep your phone plugged in every chance you get, and the battery will last a lot longer.

I keep a micro USB cable at my home and work PC, and often have it plugged in. I also keep a micro USB car charger in both my trucks. I don't always plug it in, but I do so often, and the battery thanks me.

Running the battery to 0 is really bad for it, and will reduce the total capacity.

Unless you're using a really old laptop the same holds true.

Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life
    • Like all rechargeable batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%–60%. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any external electronic "fuel gauge" (e. g. State Of Charge meter). This prevents the fuel gauge from showing an incorrect battery charge.[23]
    • Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4 V to 3.0 V per cell.
    • Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
    • Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [40] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).
    • Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[23]
    • When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed,[41] and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...n_battery_life
    That was true when batteries had a memory.

Quite the opposite for phone batteries, they like to be charged as often as possible, even if you don't charge it all the way. Keep your phone plugged in every chance you get, and the battery will last a lot longer.

I keep a micro USB cable at my home and work PC, and often have it plugged in. I also keep a micro USB car charger in both my trucks. I don't always plug it in, but I do so often, and the battery thanks me.

Running the battery to 0 is really bad for it, and will reduce the total capacity.

Unless you're using a really old laptop the same holds true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...n_battery_life
    Thanks for the advice and posting those guidelines. I would like to know what is up with my 650 battery. That thing is incredible. I pull my 650 and 680 out once in a while to charge them and keep them "alive". My 680 is usually dead but the 650 is often more then half charged still. The stand by of that battery must be incredible!!! It takes a lot of usage to run it down.
    That advice on laptops is old and from the days before the great majority of laptops had lithium batteries. Laptops today and certainly mobile phones have lithium batteries.

They lose overall (maximum) capacity in the following ways.
    1) being small for a given device in the first place*
    2 age, used or not
    3) usage**. As in Any usage. Every draw on the battery reduces subsequent battery life on LiLon.
    4) exposure to heat
    5) draws down to the 10, 5% range or less
    5) storage at low charge 5% or less

* Underpowered devices kill batteries faster. EI a 1000 mah battery maybe a 900 mah battery in a year, and in the same device with same usage and 1500 mah battery could end the year as a 1450 battery under the same conditions. In the second year the relative drops in mah of the smaller battery will be even more pronounced

** This is why you are always, always, better off plugging in your laptop whenever you can. Any use of the battery reduces its subsequent maximum charge. In fact Road warriors remove charged batteries in laptops when on power if they can

What can you do with your smartphone to keep up max capacity and life of the battery?
    1) keep it charging whenever possible
    2) limit high heat situations. Very hot cars, super high draw situations (wmwifirouter makes mine super hot)
    3) if you buy spares try and buy them fresh ie recently manufactured or form high turnover sellers
    4) avoid whenever possible dropping b elow 10%, avoide even more drops below 5%.
    5) store spares in cool dry places at 40% or more.
    Wow!! Thanks Aero!! I am either showing my age, "noobness", or both here. LOL. I had no idea. I have done so many things wrong but now I'm empowered to make better decisions for my devices.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910