Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Just got back from Costa Rica and wanted to share the great experience I had with my Sprint 800W down there. Having WiFi on the phone made all the difference. There was no CDMA phone signals, but I there was WiFi all over the place. A lot were free and a lot you could get passwords pretty easy to others by asking people or eating a meal in a restaurant. It allowed to:

Email: I was able to send/receive almost as frequently as I do here in the US.
    Phone via Skype. I installed this while I was down there and was amazed. Free calls to skype members and 2 cent calls to land lines. If you donít have a headset, the skype client uses speaker phone instead of the internal phone.. but I just turned the phone around and talked fine. Not perfect, but saved a lot of time and money.
    Slingbox Ė I amazed a lot of people by being able to watch the presidential inauguration live on my phone.

This plus the Spanish translator I installed made my Treo and invaluable tool. I canít believe I was thinking about not bringing my phone, knowing that there wasnít going to be any signal. Great work Palm.
    Thanks for the report, cool stuff!

A lot of Central and South America is covered by CDMA signals. I don't recall Costa Rica being on the list, but that kinda surprises me that there's no CDMA signals.
    If you actually travel, you know those CDG "lists" and maps are bogus and mostly false, because they are outdated Public relations material from the old fights between gsm and CDMA. Many of the supposed CDMA carriers on those lists switched to GSM. EG my sprint phone worked in Argentine five ago and no longer will (it isn't about roaming but about the companies using the bandwidth for GSM and removing the CDMA towers).

Hardy any significant areas of central and South America have CDMA service of the same frequency as us devices.

A Treo Pro CDMA wifi and GPS will work in Costa Rica and 100% of the world, a treo 800w GPS will fail there and 95% of the world.
    Last edited by aero; 01/26/2009 at 04:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    If you actually travel, you know those CDG "lists" and maps are bogus and mostly false, because they are outdated Public relations material from the old fights between gsm and CDMA. Many of the supposed CDMA carriers on those lists switched to GSM. EG my sprint phone worked in Argentine five ago and no longer will (it isn't about roaming but about the companies using the bandwidth for GSM and removing the CDMA towers).

Hardy any significant areas of central and South America have CDMA service of the same frequency as us devices.

A Treo Pro CDMA wifi and GPS will work in Costa Rica and 100% of the world, a treo 800w GPS will fail there and 95% of the world.
    man..give it up..we know you have hatred for the phone..quit polluting every thread with your rhetoric
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

Thank you Aero. I didn't know the history behind those lists, although I knew most of the rest of the world is on GSM. You travel and have a real need for stand alone GPS. When speaking about Costa Rica, it's worth mentioning what works and does not work on the 800w, GPS included.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Since I live in USA, I would use anything cheap, so I use Sprint.

Oversea I just get a cheapo phone.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Since I live in USA, I would use anything cheap, so I use Sprint.
    Oversea I just get a cheapo phone.
    That is exactly what most of us who pay our own way do, bring a cheapo phone for calls and bring our smartphone with wifi and GPS, for GPS, getting our email for free, browsing for free, getting docs back to the office for free etc all over wifi.

I do a lot of short two day trips abroad and half the time don't bring my laptop because my my smartphoen with wifi is set up to keep me connected.