1.    #1  
    All-

My treo 800w doesnt last much longer than 4 or 5 hours with a full battery charge.

I have active sync set to check each only every 4 hours and i dont know what to do.

I am losing my patience- does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    get the seidio extended battery, it lasts 2 and a half days without having to charge if your not going heavy on the features. it is a bit bulky but the power gain is well worth it, it really is nessisary for the 800w. i got sick of getting stranded somewhere after the gps died on me mid trip.
    Visor Neo-->Visor Edge-->Visor Prism(with Visorphone)-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 180-->Copper Treo 680-->Treo 270-->Treo 800w
    That really is the simplest answer. Bigger battery, why be frustrated with that?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    You didn't specify whether you were using the phone during that time or not. 4-5 hours of talk time would be about right.

If you're getting 4-5 hours of standby time, that's not "normal" but many users (including me) have seen it. I have long suspected it's a WM issue - some rogue process or something - but in at least one case of mine, replacing the battery helped. Of course replacing the battery performs a soft reset, so there's really no conceivable way of testing your battery without confounding the issue with resetting the phone.

First thing to try is a soft reset. Then try another battery. If those fail, hard reset and run "stock" for a day or two (NO EMAIL) to see if it's a hardware issue. Then install your favorite apps and set up email. Try to find the thing that causes the problem.

Or post more details about your usage patterns and software you've installed, maybe someone will know if something you've got is known to be buggy (like a weather app you've installed on the SD card that wakes the screen every 10 minutes for an update from the network).
  5.    #5  
    thanks for all the suggestions- i wish it were 4-5 hours of talk time but its definitely not!

the only programs i have downloaded and installed are skyfire (and dont use it often) TodayAgenda and Microsoft live search-

I close any program on the task manager whenever im done using it, but still having major battery issues-

any thoughts?
    I recently got the 2600 mah extended battery and it is amazing, I am enjoying using my 800w now. It makes me think there is something wrong with the stock battery, even tho smaller, it is night and day difference.
    The hump makes it easier to hold the phone and it lets you hear the speaker when on a call or using slingplayer when the phone is laying on back.
    Where I used to think about the battery every two hours, I don't think about it anymore and I am a heavy user.
    Last edited by jimh2000; 01/25/2009 at 01:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I have the 2600 mah battery as well and I'm very happy with it. I had wanted to toss the phone in the garbage any number of times because of the pathetic battery life, but this has transformed the phone. That said, I still want a Pro or a Pre! If the 800 just had a 3.5mm jack......
    4-5 hours sounds awfully short unless you are using your phone a *LOT*.

I get 10-12 hours regularly with Exchange push, Gmail IMAP, bluetooth always on (though not visible), screen brightness bumped a lot, plenty of use on the phone....

It's probably something that you have running that's eating up battery life. I would try backing up then hard resetting, and using the phone stock to see what happens to your battery life (no e-mail, no programs, just plain vanilla). If it shoots up, then you know something you installed/did is causing the drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvanryn View Post
    thanks for all the suggestions- i wish it were 4-5 hours of talk time but its definitely not.
    These are not serious or scientific numbers they are marketing numbers. there is a limit to how much they can exaggerate them without blowing credibility but the real numbers can vary significantly when you see independent tests
    I typically got 3.5 hours of talk time or 6-8 hours of usage (talking, standby, internet, email) before the battery was toast. It's just an incredibly small battery for some odd reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    These are not serious or scientific numbers they are marketing numbers. there is a limit to how much they can exaggerate them without blowing credibility but the real numbers can vary significantly when you see independent tests
    Those talk time numbers have been confirmed by multiple independent sources.

You may believe that they are not applicable to most situations, but they are accurate and not exaggerated (unless you believe that CNET is faking the numbers as well, eh?).
    the biggest factor is usually gps and signal strength. turn gps to 911 only if you are not using it. otherwise, depending where you spend most of your time, your phone may be using a lot of power to maintain a signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Those talk time numbers have been confirmed by multiple independent sources.
    And contravened by independent sources.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    That uptime seems really low. I leave mine off the charger at least 12 hours at a time.
    The batteries are crap. If your phone is still under warranty, just stop by a Sprint store and complain a little and they'll likely just hand you a new battery. I was visiting Chicago recently, ate lunch, my battery was dying, and I stopped next door at a Sprint store (just retail, not even a service store) and they just handed me a battery, didn't even look up my account or anything.
    I was having the same issue. Stopped by a Sprint store here in Houston and mentioned it. They gave me a new fully charged battery. The new battery lasts all day. Same part number, same rating. I really think there is a batch of bad batteries for the 800W in circulation.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    My suspicion is that this is an underlying Windows Mobile issue. Some process gets stuck in a loop and can't exit, or something similar. With every Windows Mobile phone I've ever owned, now and then I've pulled the phone out of my pocket only to see the screen backlight off but the screen *on*, or the battery was massively drained. In some cases the battery was hot. In my experience this situation is not unique to the 800w, but I believe it is exacerbated by the fact that the 800w battery is disappointingly underpowered to begin with.

The confounding issue is that when you replace the battery, the phone soft-resets, which likely clears up the software issue. So the appearance is that the new battery "fixed" the issue, when that may not have been the case.

OTOH, I did have a bad battery once - it would just not hold a charge (the issue was completely repeatable). Seidio replaced it for me and the new one worked normally.