Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Sound advice. The Pro looks to have it's own set of issues, not that one would expect anything else. I've yet to find the perfect phone.
    Good advice from all three posters above me! It's definitely be no means "horrible", and I do think if it had some minor issues worked out (power issues, no stereo headset adapter available), to me the 800w WOULD be the perfect phone. Not wanting to sound like a pessimist (I'm a huge optimist, actually) I think the 800w is now an AMAZING deal for what you get and I hope lots of people jump on it.

I guess my initial posts are because I'm not usually an early adopter, so this is probably par for the course for *any* early adopter of any technology. It's just the first time I've ever had to experience it personally. I should stop and think about how all those HD DVD owners must feel and realize I've got it pretty good!
    Quote Originally Posted by kendertaunt View Post

I guess my initial posts are because I'm not usually an early adopter, so this is probably par for the course for *any* early adopter of any technology.
    It varies. Sometimes getting something first is a much more pleasant experience. But I found my 800w experience to be exceptionally bad. Enough to stop me from doing the "earlier adopter" thing any longer.

There's an old closed thread I started with a poll about this a while back. Some others have also had to pass on being the "early adopter" after the 800w experience.

What is true about being an "earlier adopter" is that the results vary greatly. Some of us looked at Palm's history with Treos and made some bad assumptions. Like the 3.5mm headset adapter never being made for the 800w. Every Treo that plays music before the 800w had an adapter from Palm for 3.5mm headset access or a 3.5mm headset adapter on the device. Some of us assumed Palm would make an adapter some time shortly after the 800w's release, but they NEVER did. (Some folks are fine with the BT stereo audio, but for me it is not even close to being as good as audio on these devices with a wired 3.5mm jack.) And for some of us that makes for a big issue. (I know some folks like soldering, but for me hacking software is OK, but having to make a hack headset adapter is unacceptable. Just personal preference.) It was a bad assumption, but based on Palm having a history of always considering something like that. I was having other issues with the 800w too, but won't ramble.
  3.    #23  
    Ha!
    I know, but I've been a loyal Nextel/Sprint user for about 10 years and I've been through each Treo and I've *never* seen a Treo drop price like that, especially when it only came out about eight months ago. I feel like I've been scammed by them or something. I feel dirty.
    The 800w was dropped because of several issues, probably the same issues you have.

The pro is better in all areas, with perhaps, and we don't know yet somewhat smaller user available memory due to improved browser capabilities.
    Last edited by aero; 01/27/2009 at 09:54 AM.
    Ha!
    I know, but I've been a loyal Nextel/Sprint user for about 10 years and I've been through each Treo and I've *never* seen a Treo drop price like that, especially when it only came out about eight months ago. I feel like I've been scammed by them or something. I feel dirty.
    It's going to happen more and more often as device-turnover increases.

Sprint Touch ($549/$249) dropped to $99 after just 8 months. Then dropped to $49 three months later, all before its 1 year b-day

What's it mean? I think it's obvious: with the iPhone being so popular and reduced in price, competition is fierce these days so companies have to cut their once hugely profitable margins to have a better position in the market. As far as I'm concerned, that's a win for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You can always pass you 800w down to kids or people with less demands
    FYI, that comes across as pretty condescending in the 800w forum.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    FYI, that comes across
    Well you are right, and it was snarky of me. I was sneaking in a reply to a pal here who had reversed the same jibe. It doesn't belong and I will remove it.
    In additon to what others have mentioned, I guess the economy could be a factor.
    Also, we just got past the holidays (people aren't shopping).
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    and we don't know yet somewhat smaller user available memory due to improved browser capabilities.
    Here's the scoop on memory.

The Sprint Treo Pro has less overall Program memory, but more overall Storage.
    Sprint Touch ($549/$249) dropped to $99 after just 8 months. Then dropped to $49 three months later, all before its 1 year b-day

What's it mean? I think it's obvious: with the iPhone being so popular and reduced in price, competition is fierce these days so companies have to cut their once hugely profitable margins to have a better position in the market. As far as I'm concerned, that's a win for us.
    That's a really good point that it should be considered a WIN for us, and I do feel better knowing that it has happened before with other phones.

I actually am a huge business and personal user of my phone, using it for GPS in my car while on business, MP3 in my car as well for music, and push email/calendar/tasks/contacts for business. I speak at conferences, so the instant push email/Mobile Skype/Twitter is critical for me also. I also tend to have one arm around my toddler, so one reason I love my Treo is that it is fantastic for one-hand operations.

I'd love to be on some sort of beta testing program. I wonder how people get to be on them? Maybe you have to be a business parter or something?

BTW, totally off-topic, but Malatesta, are you the one that has a theme for PhoneAlarm? It ROCKS, I am still using it, and thank you very, very much! It's appreciated!
    I'd love to be on some sort of beta testing program. I wonder how people get to be on them? Maybe you have to be a business parter or something?
    Well, Sprint has their people. Palm does have a beta tester program, which you can sign up for...but only when they open up registration. No guarantees you'll get in though, I never have
    BTW, totally off-topic, but Malatesta, are you the one that has a theme for PhoneAlarm? It ROCKS, I am still using it, and thank you very, very much! It's appreciated!
    Hah, yeah that's me. I have a few themes floating around (Moto Q, Phonealarm, weatherpanel, etc.). Glad you're enjoying it

Hah, yeah that's me. I have a few themes floating around (Moto Q, Phonealarm, weatherpanel, etc.). Glad you're enjoying it
    That's it, I have your Weatherpanel theme also! I knew I had seen your name on quite a few things. Well, know that I have many friends who look at my device and are envious at how pretty it looks.
    I'm just curious if anyone thinks us existing 800w users will or should be able to get a little bit of a discount on the Treo Pro? Until recently, it was $249 and extremely buggy, so I will be getting the Pro the day it is released.

However, I'm a little upset that all of a sudden the 800w is now only $99 when only a few months prior, I paid $249 for it and it has issues.

I'm a huge Treo/WM fangirl, and for me, the 800w would have been THE perfect device were it not quite so buggy. I'm hoping the Pro is the 800w and more.

But I didn't know if anyone had any advice to offer on asking for better pricing, etc. Normally I'm not the type of consumer to speak up so I'm not sure how - however I'm a little upset in this case. Ideas?
    I hear you. I'm able to get an upgrade to the Treo Pro. You should talk to the manager at your local store, try e-care or try retentions and see if someone is willing to help you out. Remember to be nice and just explain the multitude of bugs in the 800w, some of which will never be fixed (like the GPS).

Like others have said, early adopters suffer the most growing pains. One positive is that HTC made the Treo Pro, not Palm. HTC supports their products very well and the end-user community support is AMAZING compared to the support for any other company.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    One positive is that HTC made the Treo Pro, not Palm. HTC supports their products very well and the end-user community support is AMAZING compared to the support for any other company.
    Palm never makes phones, other companies do. I will say the build on the Treo Pro is certainly more plastic-y than the 800w. That's not a judgment, just an observation.

Either way, perhaps it is not wise to over-promise on the "end user community support" as of now the Treo Pro really has zero. That may change if the Sprint Treo Pro is ever released but ]as of now, it's not a selling point.

Palm never makes phones, other companies do. I will say the build on the Treo Pro is certainly more plastic-y than the 800w. That's not a judgment, just an observation.

Either way, perhaps it is not wise to over-promise on the "end user community support" as of now the Treo Pro really has zero. That may change if the Sprint Treo Pro is ever released but ]as of now, it's not a selling point.
    Given that the manufacturer support AND end-user support for the 800w is entirely nonexistent, the Sprint Treo Pro will likely be better. One only needs to look at PPCGeeks and XDA for evidence of the love for HTC products.
    end-user support for the 800w is entirely nonexistent
    I don't exist?

There's existentialism at it's finest!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I don't exist?

There's existentialism at it's finest!
    Post that custom ROM then. Mal claimed that he had one where you could easily change the pagepool. Maybe some screenshots?

Will Best Buy be dropping their price to $99 also?
    Post that custom ROM then.
    Only if you promise to flash it.

Mal claimed that he had one where you could easily change the pagepool.
    No he didn't.

Mal said that (other) people promised that when the Treo Pro was released there would be custom ROM's within weeks....and that we STILL haven't seen custom ROM's for the Treo Pro (no mention of the 800w).

You then asked him for one on the 800w.

I certainly hope that you misread Mal's post, because that's so incredibly far off base.....
    with the pro coming out and the 800w dropping we as hackers are going to spin the wheel and bust the deal to cricket so hackers are we ready for the challenged of the new superbowl of phone hacking hackers get ready set hack hack hack
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    What are you going to do with it by hacking it?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12