Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The two phones have different specs and software but many threads about the Sprint version are labelled Treo Pro. It's crazy that Palm didn't give the Sprint copy a new name.

Unless the new software such as the new pocket IE is going to be released to the original Treo Pro then PLEASE can the mods create a sub forum to keep the discussions seperate? It's confusing and spammy. And a rename of currently mislabelled threads would be really helpful too.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    try decaf
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Spammy??
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    The two phones have different specs and software but many threads about the Sprint version are labelled Treo Pro. It's crazy that Palm didn't give the Sprint copy a new name.

Unless the new software such as the new pocket IE is going to be released to the original Treo Pro then PLEASE can the mods create a sub forum to keep the discussions seperate? It's confusing and spammy. And a rename of currently mislabelled threads would be really helpful too.

Dude! Will you please explain? WTF are you talking about?
  5.    #5  
    The Sprint Treo Pro has different software (Pocket IE 6 for example), a different firmware and different hardware specs (GPS and memory). The board has filled up with threads saying the Treo Pro is coming out soon, what it's specs are and you're all wrong. The Treo Pro has been out for months already. The Sprint Treo Pro is a different phone that looks almost identical but is not the same.

Not only is it confusing now it's going to be worse a few months down the line when people discuss some issue affecting one of the two types of phone and people give advice that may not be appropriate. Software that may work on the Treo Pro might not work on the Sprint Treo Pro and vice versa ecause of the different software and memory specifications.

It's spammy because the already released Treo Pro forum has threads talking about release dates and features that don't apply to Treo Pro phones. This new phone you are getting excited about is NOT a Treo Pro and it is annoying for Treo Pro owners.
    I suggest you contact the moderators if you have a problem.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    T and different hardware specs (GPS and memory).
    The treo pro gsm and cdma both have standalone gps and agps.

There is official pitch material the sprint salesmen have already used that not just mentioned the autonomous gps, but emphases it. if the cdma treo pro were to come without standalone gps at this point, Sprint wouold have a very hard time telling people they never advertised it since salespeople have been actively encouraged to highlight autonomous gps in to customer sales pitches.

As far as other differences, there are differences even within verizon and sprint cdma models of the same phones!
    I have considered creating a separate forum for the Sprint Treo Pro, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea. We never did it with the Treo 650 and we managed alright -- but I could be convinced that it's helpful to have a separate forum for it....
    I have been going back and forth, thinking of how it might make it easier for the gsm and cdma guys not to have to filter thru info that might not apply.
    But it might also make things to fragmented.
    What happens if the Hardware changes even again if/when att or verizon pick up the Pro - 4 separate forums?
    oh wait; and another for voda.
    I kind of agree with Rich, it is confusing and I could see the Sprint Treo Pro (STP) and the Treo Pro (TP) in separate forums. I think palm should have given the phones different labels, just my opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I have considered creating a separate forum for the Sprint Treo Pro, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea. We never did it with the Treo 650 and we managed alright -- but I could be convinced that it's helpful to have a separate forum for it....
    I think the OP has a very valid point. It's up you guys on how to handle it. I can't tell you how many threads I've opened for the wrong phone. You know, you have it when someone starts a thread, they cannot post it if they forgot to put a title for the thread. How about adding a checkbox that would also have to be checked that gives the choices of __unlocked GSM ____Other GSM ____CDMA Verizon _____CDMA Sprint ____CDMA Other. Something like that and it automatically went into the title. Not creating too much work here, right.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I think the OP has a very valid point. It's up you guys on how to handle it. I can't tell you how many threads I've opened for the wrong phone. You know, you have it when someone starts a thread, they cannot post it if they forgot to put a title for the thread. How about adding a checkbox that would also have to be checked that gives the choices of __unlocked GSM ____Other GSM ____CDMA Verizon _____CDMA Sprint ____CDMA Other. Something like that and it automatically went into the title. Not creating too much work here, right.
    this is how ppcgeeks had done it. it sure makes it easier. either that or i vote for seperate forums as well.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Not that I've got a dog in this fight, but once you guys start talking about the various tweaks you're making with the internals of the devices, the GSM folks will be speaking about a different device than the CDMA crowd. They don't even both have the same default web browser.

Separate forums sounds like a good idea.
    Now that you put it that way.
    I just was hoping you cdma guys could hang with us a little longer.
    Despite their differences, the two Pro's are really quite similar. Most things that work for one should work for the other.

I think that separating the forums will result in two forums with very little traffic. There are very few GSM Pro users (comparatively) due to the lack of major carriers picking it up, and with the Sprint Treo Pro being caught between the 800w and Pre, there will not be a lot of new people flocking to it.

Just bad timing for a release for the Pro.

Anyway, as far as I can tell the only difference is the chipset and ROM/software. Everything else looks the same.

And even some of the software has only changed because of Sprint requirements. JBED was replaced with Sprint Titan (no big surprise there), and PIE 6 was added.

Really there are very few changes between the two devices.
    Tough call.

Generally I'm okay with splitting off, but perhaps we should see what traffic will be like first?

I agree with Ebag that currently, traffic in this forum is quite low and it does not warrant a separate section. But perhaps we should have it as plan B in case a problem arises later with organization.

But these phones have way more in common than differences. Maybe create 2 stickies at the top: one for Sprint specific questions and one for GSM specific?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Maybe create 2 stickies at the top: one for Sprint specific questions and one for GSM specific?
    Great suggestion.

Sprint's internal documents have referred to is at the Treo 850. But given the industry trend to move away from numbers and to names (like the Pre, the Touch, the Instinct, etc.) they may have rethought that. I don't see that much difference between the two phones, save for the CDMA vs. GSM technology. I thought both phones already had IE on them.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  19.    #19  
    The Sprint version will have Pocket IE 6 whereas the Treo Pro has Pocket IE 5. Pocket IE 6 is supposed to have some significantly new features - apparently its going to be as powerful as IE 5 on a desktop if I remember correctly.

The Vodafone Treo Pro isn't significantly different from an unbranded model. All the core ROM and software is the same. The main differences are with the 'bundled' GPS software pointing to Telenav instead
    I think the six of us planning to get the Sprint Treo Pro should have a separate section. Except, I may cancel my order, and a couple of the others are going to switch to the Pre as soon as it comes out. That leaves about three who plan to actually use it for awhile. I'm just kidding! I think I'll really like this phone and keep it for awhile. I know things will pick up when it is actually released. I'll come here to get info either way. Any chance of a PIE 6 update for GSM?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast