Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As dannzeman posted earlier, you know Palm delayed the release of the Pro at Best Buy to Feb. 15. When I read that post I called Best Buy and the guy said he had them and I could buy one. I got on the phone with Sprint and after sweet talking them (not hard as they were extremely nice to start with), they moved my renewal date to today instead of March (my contract isn't up until May).

I ran up to Best Buy and the guy said he had really bad news for me and then he showed me on his computer an email from his boss with the capitol letters to not sell it until Feb. 15th. Anyway, he let me play with it and take photos (except for the email which had his name on it).

One thing, I couldn't find the GPS software anywhere. I'm new to WOS but I thought for sure it would be in programs. If you enlarge the one showing memory you can read it even though it is blurry. Anyway, here are some pics I took with my Centro at 5:00 p.m. today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    that sucks. i was almost out the door heading to BB.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Slight tangent: How does a Best Buy purchase work for existing Sprint users who are almost out of contract? Would we get the same discounts (I assume not) we get in phone orders?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by forteanajones View Post
    Slight tangent: How does a Best Buy purchase work for existing Sprint users who are almost out of contract? Would we get the same discounts (I assume not) we get in phone orders?
    Darn, I meant to say that in my original post. The price was $249 for new or existing Sprint customers (with 2 year renewal) no SE needed. No rebates needed. Price without contract was $699. Per Sprint CS I could even just extend my current plan. (SERO)
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Price without contract was $699.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Darn, I meant to say that in my original post. The price was $249 for new or existing Sprint customers (with 2 year renewal) no SE needed. No rebates needed. Price without contract was $699. Per Sprint CS I could even just extend my current plan. (SERO)
    Cool!

What else comes in the box besides the phone?
    best buy told me over the phone that it was $250 with and 549 without contract. this jives with sprint listings. are you 100% certain about that number?
    Last edited by aero; 01/23/2009 at 08:26 PM.
  8.    #8  
    I'm not certain he was correct about the $699 but I did ask him twice. There were no price tags because it wasn't out on display yet.

As for what it comes with, I wanted to take a picture but it's on the black part of the outside sleeve and printed very small. Didn't come with anything more than what other phones come with or I'd remember that. Actually, I just increased my browser to 400% and see that it's also printed where the UPC code is on picture 2309-006 and can read where it says:
    Phone
    Cable
    Battery
    Charger
    Printed materials (I think on the black part of box it said user manual)
    Last edited by RickMG; 01/23/2009 at 06:20 PM.
    If you enlarge the one showing memory you can read it even though it is blurry.
    Looks to me like about 45MB, bummer...

Regarding price, keep in mind that Best Buy always sells carrier branded devices with no contract for much higher than anywhere else, because they want you to buy with a contract and that's when they offer the best deals. They do that with all Sprint devices. They sell the Sprint HTC Touch Pro for $749. Which is an insanely high price even for that device.
    nice they are finally using SPB backup vs sprite....does it have picturemail to where you can see what you sent and to who
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    nice they are finally using SPB backup vs sprite....does it have picturemail to where you can see what you sent and to who
    I don't know, really didn't look at it that long and I really wouldn't know how to look for it either, not really good with WOS yet.

By the way, you know we've only know for sure that Best Buy is holding off sales until Feb. 15th, although the letter shown on the other thread doesn't mention any company. Had anyone heard that Best Buy has an exclusive on this phone? Is it possible it could come out on Sprint 1st? That's how it always was with the Treos before as well as the Centro.
    Hey Rick, Thanks for the report. Good info.

Please buy a real camera and throw away they cell phone camera. .

Cellphone cameras are only for those that don't care about pictures
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  13.    #13  
    Hey, anyone notice the program screen shows a program called Software store? I wonder if that's what the holdup is? They don't have it done yet. Probably the same store that's going to be for the Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Hey Rick, Thanks for the report. Good info.

Please buy a real camera and throw away they cell phone camera. .

Cellphone cameras are only for those that don't care about pictures
    When I went there I thought I was going to be taking one home and take good pics here.
    By the way, you know we've only know for sure that Best Buy is holding off sales until Feb. 15th, although the letter shown on the other thread doesn't mention any company. Had anyone heard that Best Buy has an exclusive on this phone? Is it possible it could come out on Sprint 1st? That's how it always was with the Treos before as well as the Centro.
    I guess the a factor against that possibility is that the Sprint orders were canceled.

If you consider the possible reasons none of them really go to different channels having precedence:

1) too much inventory of 800w
    2) a moderate to severe bug
    3) a compelling update that will free.speed things up
    4) some kind of hardware flaw (smoking chargers...advocates' cases cracking in first week)
    5) the confusion that is sprint
    6) it will be released on the 25th and they felt they needed some extra umph to keep BB employees form selling them (I doubt this. With all the official notes to blogs saying more testing was needed, a release 48 hours later would then suggest there was not adequate testing, if there was a subsequent problem)
    (any others?)
    Last edited by aero; 01/23/2009 at 08:32 PM.
    [B]
    When I went there I thought I was going to be taking one home and take good pics here.

Fair enough IMO, thats the only time cellphone cameras should be used. When you were not planning to take a picture.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    nice they are finally using SPB backup vs sprite....
    That looked very much like the Sprite Backup icon and the words "Sprite Backup" in the attached pictures Photo_012309_007.jpg and Photo_012309_008.jpg
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    That looked very much like the Sprite Backup icon and the words "Sprite Backup" in the attached pictures Photo_012309_007.jpg and Photo_012309_008.jpg
    It does say Sprite Backup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    haha OOOPS
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    . Fair enough IMO, thats the only time cellphone cameras should be used. When you were not planning to take a picture.
    I don't know about you but my normal camera doesn't have an internet connection! I have had some phones with really stellar cameras as well.

i think as we see more data usage on phones there will be more of a demand for better camera on phones and that is where people will spend their camera money (just like people now spend the money they once spent on watches on smartphones)

Two months ago I had my 800w (which does not have a stellar camera) in Istanbul, took a picture at Topkopi and immediately loaded onto my facebook via wifi all in about in 30 seconds.

I shot for nearly ten years a nikon fm2 with some very serious lenses, developed my own film and did my own enlargements (BW). I am flummoxed by any camera that tied to set speed or aperture for me. So I can look down on any sb $4k digital camera. But the immediacy is the thing with digital, and connectivity is the next step.

my kids only use their phones to take pictures because to them the entire point of any camera is to send pics out via pic mail or post them on facebook immediately. they want phones that will bring up facebook and have excellent cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I don't know about you but my normal camera doesn't have an internet connection! I have had some phones with really stellar cameras as well.
    Thats cool. You and I tend to disagree about pretty much everything.

I would love to see a phone that has a "stellar camera"

I tend to take my photography a little more seriously.

http://karlmarsh.smugmug.com/Photography
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast