Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if anyone else can give me a complete answer and has used as many handsets as codyppc, but plenty have opinions. I'm a long-time Treo user, and after finally retiring my Treo 700wx in December, I picked up a HTC Touch Pro in its place. There's a lot to like about the device, most of which are enhancements incorporated by WM 6.1. The hardware isn't too shabby either, but build quality and ergonomics could be better--points I really miss about the Treo.

So I walked into my local Sprint Service Center last week and played with the manager's demo Treo Pro briefly. I love the way it felt in my hand, the familiarity of the D-pad and one-handed operation reminded me of disappointments with my Touch Pro. With my 30-day trial period ending this month, I'll have an opportunity to either stay with the Touch Pro or swap it out for a Treo Pro.

With that in mind, how much do you think I'll miss the Touch Pro if I swap back for the Treo 850? Aside from the slide-out keyboard, screen size and resolution, am I missing any other major features of the Touch Pro that the 850 won't match?
    Right now it seems that memory (significantly less RAM: 43mb free) would be the only real major difference between the two.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Screen size is the only thing I think I'd miss from the Touch Pro.

Memory, as Mal said. The Treo Pro might be slower than the Touch Pro and 800w as well.

Haven't used it extensively, so take it for what it's worth....
    I saw the Treo Pro at my local sprint store (a un-saleable unit) and it is very slick. There seems to be a catch with Sprint's Windows Mobile devices and in this situation, it's the available RAM of the Treo Pro.
    Hey I'm in the same dilema I don't know if I want to keep the Touch Pro or go for the Treo Pro however I do know I want the Pre when its available.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Hey I'm in the same dilema I don't know if I want to keep the Touch Pro or go for the Treo Pro however I do know I want the Pre when its available.
    I'd just keep the Touch Pro until the Pre comes out. As long as you can live the Touch Pro for a couple months, it's probably not worth the effort for such a short period of time.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    I'd just keep the Touch Pro until the Pre comes out. As long as you can live the Touch Pro for a couple months, it's probably not worth the effort for such a short period of time.

DOOOOMED!!!
    My experience with the Touch Pro:

I hate the slider - I forgot how much I hate it.

SPB Backup does not work properly; every backup completed displays a message indicating the backup failed. I subsequently went with Sprite Backup, only to find that HTC has a free backup that evidently does the basic regular backup.

HanDBase - highlighting the data entry fields is still bad.

Documents To Go - long screen at times gets all messed up, not a problem with PE.

The Treo Pro would give me one-handed (basically) operation, though at a cost of memory and it is really nice not having any slow-downs.

On the 800W I really liked the 2 extra keys.

Oh, well.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Is there any truth to Treo incorporating their own enhancements on the 850 like they did the 700w? If so, what do they include? Which apps can we expect from Sprint devices?

I know in time I'll miss the Touch Pro's camera and flash. It's nice having a ridiculously-bright flashlight on me at all times. The bluetooth stack seems to actually WORK on the Touch Pro. The TouchFlo interface is a gimmick, but it's nice to have frequently-used functions in their own UI which is becoming quite customizable thanks to the user community.

The Touch Pro's battery life is abysmal, especially when the Bluetooth radio is active and ActiveSync runs at peak hours like mine. I'm not sure if I can expect the same from the Treo. Most apps seem to run well on the HTC, including Slingbox. Has Slingmedia offered an updated WM player that actually works on the 320x320 Treo screen by now?!

The Touch Pro has a native Youtube player and Opera installed. The Treo 850 gets IE 6. What else am I missing?
    Yes, Sling Mobile is compatible with 320x320 resolution on WM devices now. I wouldn't be able to go to a device that didn't have a Sling player compatible with it at this stage; I use it daily.

I've been using a Touch Pro since October and really like the screen and the mounds of memory. I'm starting to question whether I really need the hard front keyboard, though. I seem to need to input text a lot when I don't have two hands available to slide the Touch Pro's keyboard out. Software keyboards are getting to be a pain after using them for the past 1.5 years almost exclusively.

There are a lot of advantages to the Touch Pro; the Treo Pro conveniences have me wanting to try it, though.
    I miss my 700wx.. and my BB 8330 is starting to give me the same type of software issues where it freezes up on me... i'm seriously considering picking up a Treo Pro or a 800w...
    I had to ditch my 700wx for a Blackberry...
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
    Is there any truth to Treo incorporating their own enhancements on the 850 like they did the 700w? If so, what do they include? Which apps can we expect from Sprint devices?
    Yes and that acounts for some of the overhead used in Pro memory.

Now it is hard to genrealize because proably the majority of people add no programs and even less add mortscropt based ones.

So for example on the 800w if you want led on message flash you have to add hannips fix. this uses ram and moreover is not maker or carrier supported, and is known to cause some problems. you get led flash on the treo pro out of the box.

If you use your headphones an the 800w you know they have very low volume and people here recommend adding and using a program to boost volume.

If you want to use tomtom on your 800w you need gpsgate which cuase serious instability (such that you really need to soft reset after ending use of tomtom and gpsgate).

On the 800w you need to install different browsers to get flash youtube etc and I had no trouble with flash and youtube on the Sprint Treo Pro because it has a considerably more advanced browser out of the box.
    I'm not sure if anyone else can give me a complete answer and has used as many handsets as codyppc, but plenty have opinions. I'm a long-time Treo user, and after finally retiring my Treo 700wx in December, I picked up a HTC Touch Pro in its place. There's a lot to like about the device, most of which are enhancements incorporated by WM 6.1. The hardware isn't too shabby either, but build quality and ergonomics could be better--points I really miss about the Treo.

So I walked into my local Sprint Service Center last week and played with the manager's demo Treo Pro briefly. I love the way it felt in my hand, the familiarity of the D-pad and one-handed operation reminded me of disappointments with my Touch Pro. With my 30-day trial period ending this month, I'll have an opportunity to either stay with the Touch Pro or swap it out for a Treo Pro.

With that in mind, how much do you think I'll miss the Touch Pro if I swap back for the Treo 850? Aside from the slide-out keyboard, screen size and resolution, am I missing any other major features of the Touch Pro that the 850 won't match?

i think is really depends on how you use your device. tell us, what programs do you install on to your devices that dont come pre installed?

for example, i dont use skype or styletap. both of these are suppose to be big program memory using apps. therefore, i'm not as troubled as someone who does use these apps.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    I returned my Touch Pro on day 30. Will pick up a Treo Pro next week. The Touch Pro is nice, but if you are used to quick actions on a Treo, it just will NOT make you happy.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    i think is really depends on how you use your device. tell us, what programs do you install on to your devices that dont come pre installed?

for example, i dont use skype or styletap. both of these are suppose to be big program memory using apps. therefore, i'm not as troubled as someone who does use these apps.

Good question; to answer that, I don't think there are any apps I use on my device that are hardware-dependent and/or device-specific. I typically use Microsoft Live Search for GPS functions, Slingplayer to watch TV/manage recordings and possibly some sort of applet to stream Sirius on-the-go. All of these should function as-is on both devices, so memory usage isn't as much of a concern as it may be for others. However, with the use of IE6 and/or Opera, it may be found that performance degradation may occur sooner on the Treo Pro than the Touch Pro (between soft-resets). Where I was lucky to get by more than three days without having to soft-reset my 700wx, the Touch Pro can go for a week or more of regular use before I even think about a soft-reset to restore performance.

Really this comes down to hardware--both have positives, and since I haven't used either device long enough to come away with a definitive 'long-term' answer, I'm wondering which device I may appreciate more for its components. I'd like to think the Treo Pro has the upper-hand in ergonomics and convenience with its true one-handed operation, dedicated hard keys, 3.5mm headphone jack and solid build quality, but the Touch Pro has the horsepower, memory and screen real estate.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    If you want to use tomtom on your 800w you need gpsgate which cuase serious instability (such that you really need to soft reset after ending use of tomtom and gpsgate).
    Aero, what is the issue with gpsgate? (I haven't heard about that)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Aero, what is the issue with gpsgate? (I haven't heard about that)
    we definitely have been having problems on exit from gps gate on two devices. I didn't really look into it too much sine we were seeing it on two devices. We get instability and sluggishness and sometimes lockups after exit on both, fixed with soft reset.

You've never had this on 800w? I doubted it was install since it happens on two but maybe it is just me?
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    we definitely have been having problems on exit from gps gate on two devices. I didn't really look into it too much sine we were seeing it on two devices. We get instability and sluggishness and sometimes lockups after exit on both, fixed with soft reset.

You've never had this on 800w? I doubted it was install since it happens on two but maybe it is just me?
    Nah, I haven't run into it but I'm also not using TomTom.
    I think TomTom went Bye Bye a couple of years ago. No new versions hence the lack of support.

Garmin XT runs perfect on the 800w with almost instant satellite locks with no hacks, tricks or other software needed.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011

Memory has already been mentioned enough times, but as you try other applications over time this may become more of a concern for you. And given the Sprint Palm Treo Pro is reported to use Kinoma Freeplay, it's not the lightest media player when it comes to memory.

The Sprint HTC Touch Pro has an accelerometer, not available on the Sprint Palm Treo Pro.

Does the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have a light sensor for auto screen brightness adjustment? The Sprint HTC Touch Pro does.

You've mentioned the flash on the Touch Pro that is not on the Treo Pro. Also, the Touch Pro camera is 1.2megapixles better than the Sprint Palm Treo Pro's. You've also mentioned TouchFlo 3D that is on the Touch Pro and of course that can be turned off if someone does not enjoy it. I thought I would not like it, but I use it all the time and enjoy having it.

Does the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have a magnetic stylus, which turns the screen on?

Does the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have a weather program built in?

Will there be a version of NFL Mobile live made especially for the Treo Pro?

Will the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have a panoramic picture feature built in?

Will the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have a business card reader built in?

Will the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have a printer application built in?

Will the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have an MP3 trimmer application built in?

Will the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have a QuickGPS application built in?

Will the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have and easier means to perform soft resets out of the box other than removing the back cover to reach the reset hole?

Will the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have a means to perform hard resets that is as simple as the Sprint HTC Touch Pro "Clear Storage" application?

I've heard the Sprint Palm Treo Pro has an Update PRL application, but does it also have an Update Profile app like the Sprint HTC Touch Pro?

Will the Sprint Palm Treo Pro have a Disk Drive feature like the Sprint HTC Touch Pro has?

Just some things to think about, which may already have answers or will once the Sprint Palm Treo Pro is released. And if that release is delayed beyond 1/25 it might go beyond your 30 days. But even if the Treo Pro is released on 1/25, you may want to hold off a few days to see how it runs.