1.    #1  
    ok, spent an hour with it... here is what i got...

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    don't get me started, lol

yeah, evidently these units are all there and some Sprint employees in typical fashion have been giving the most rudimentary feedback...such as "it's shiny" and "looks nice!". Ugh. Though entropism has given some real info at least.

I still wanna know:
    • OS build (sure it's 6.1, but which build?)
    • How does MMS work (the manual makes it like the GSM version, antithetical to Sprint's system)
    • Memory: for crying out loud!
    • GPS standalone
    • Screensaver
    • LED support
    • Reception
    1. ce os 5.2.20765 build 207651.4.4
    2. mms = yes. no link. when recieved it auto download and showed the pic. no links
    3. memory = 339/ 80.54
    4. yes= stand alone worked pre mals text theory here
    5. screen saver = yes
    6. not that i could tell. when messages came in i was no led. altho i did not go in to settings to see
    7. reception= great. sounded just as good as my curve. on made one test call though.

the guy was very cool altho he didn't know alot. he only had it for 4 days and this was his first wm device.

i really like this device and cant wait to have my own.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Sounds like a winner! Mine shows back ordered.
    So were they selling it? If not, did they say when? If they were selling it why didn't you get it? Something we should know? Any pics and what store in K.C. did you go to? I was really treated well at the Zona Rosa store last month.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Did you happen to notice what was the available progam memory was?
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Did you happen to notice what was the available progam memory was?
    Yeah, he mentioned it in the other thread:

41mb

Pretty consistent finding so far.

Edit: I think I know why...

IE6

What's weird is not the low "Free" program memory but the low "Available" memory. See that means it's not something booting with the phone (startup) but something in the OS....in the ROM.

The only core difference between the GSM and CDMA version is IE6 and we know that needs more CPU and memory...it does flash afterall. Now, 20mb? I dunno if it's all that, but I bet it's a good chunk. Being it has a lower "Available" number means we probably can't hack our way out either...it'll need a custom ROM.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/22/2009 at 09:19 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    cody - find something to tide you over until the new BB's hit Sprint?

Me too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Edit: I think I know why...

IE6
    I think your right. I remember reading something about IE6 that said something to the effect that it integrates into the OS and does not run like a normal program. This is starting make sense.

I wonder what happens when you load up a couple of big flash pages? Does the available RAM go down to nothing? OR is it possible that when the OS boots up it makes (or sets aside) a 20mb RAM disk for IE6 to read and write from?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I wonder what happens when you load up a couple of big flash pages? Does the available RAM go down to nothing? OR is it possible that when the OS boots up it makes (or sets aside) a 20mb RAM disk for IE6 to read and write from?
    Excellent question and hypothesis--you may be right on that, they set aside more RAM to run IE6 more efficiently.

I was in a Sprint store on Tuesday navigating around a Treo Pro. I went into Task Manager and made sure the only thing running was Activesync. I then immediately went into IE6, clicked on a video at YouTube, and the entire IE6 program shut down before anything even started to play.

I have a Touch Pro right now, and its huge amount of available Program Memory makes such a difference with Windows Mobile. The OS is actually pretty nice to use when apps don't automatically shut down on you when you don't want them to.

I was really surprised to see such a large amount of Storage Memory and such a small amount of available Program Memory...baffling, really.

I used an original GSM Touch that had an even smaller amount of Program Memory, and it was running WM 6.1. From that experience, I can say that the device was great and very usable...but memory was a constant challenge and always in the back of my mind. SK Tools' Free Memory app was my savior.

Not touting the Touch Pro, but it is nice to not even have to think about memory anymore with my WM device.
    great feedback NutrionN, thanks!

I agree it is baffling. I think they were caught off guard by the OSs new requirements...

It's just a shame because I have a feeling this will probably be the only "issue" with this phone and it was one easily avoided.

You're so right about this being the only real "issue," Malatesta. With that said, I'm still craving that front keyboard and would love to use this awhile, possible memory issues and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by NutritionN View Post
    I was in a Sprint store on Tuesday navigating around a Treo Pro. I went into Task Manager and made sure the only thing running was Activesync. I then immediately went into IE6, clicked on a video at YouTube, and the entire IE6 program shut down before anything even started to play.
    Yikes! That does not sound good.
    I wonder if that's just how IE6 loads videos? Perhaps when you close the video player the browser reappears?

This whole thing is starting to smell like the 700w fiasco. Perhaps in a few months we will have a Treo Pro x
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I hear ya. I thought that maybe IE6 closed to open up Kinoma Player. I waited...and waited...and waited. Never happened; the program just shut down.
    Hopefully someone will cook up a rom that removes IE6 completely and replaces it with opera or skyfire.
    Hi codyppc...did you happen to notice if this Sprint version had the soft touch paint? Thanks.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ticalnza View Post
    Hi codyppc...did you happen to notice if this Sprint version had the soft touch paint? Thanks.
    no soft touch paint.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro