1.    #1  
    My 800 frequently loses its data connection and can't seem to reconnect. I have WP, Dashwire, and Google Maps on my Treo. I thought it was Dashwire, but it is not running now and I don't see how it could be the culprit. I have updated WM and my Treo firmware to the latest versions. I get an error on my email that it cannot connect. After this, I can't connect with PIE or Opera, either. Sometimes, i can "fix" this problem by powering the phone off and breaking all data connections. Other times, i do this and still can not connect. Then, i have to do a soft reset.

Anyone else having this issue? This is my second 800. My first did not do this.
    Hate to say it but.....

Backup, do a hard reset, and see if it still happens. Probably won't, which brings you to the pleasurable task of trying to figure out what software is doing it.
    I was also having a similar problem, my phone was set to "home network only" and I changed it to "allow roaming" and for whatever reason the problem went away, don't ask me why it worked, I thought it may be problems in my area.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawlmer Bear View Post
    My 800 frequently loses its data connection and can't seem to reconnect. I have WP, Dashwire, and Google Maps on my Treo. I thought it was Dashwire, but it is not running now and I don't see how it could be the culprit. I have updated WM and my Treo firmware to the latest versions. I get an error on my email that it cannot connect. After this, I can't connect with PIE or Opera, either. Sometimes, i can "fix" this problem by powering the phone off and breaking all data connections. Other times, i do this and still can not connect. Then, i have to do a soft reset.

Anyone else having this issue? This is my second 800. My first did not do this.
    Have you been using anything like Schap's Advanced Configuration Tool? There are some settings in the Data Connections or Internet Explorer sections (or both?) that may affect this. I believe there was either a thread on this or an article by Malatesta, but I'm unable to locate it at the moment.
  5.    #5  
    I haven't used any advanced tools or anything like that.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I was also having a similar problem, my phone was set to "home network only" and I changed it to "allow roaming" and for whatever reason the problem went away, don't ask me why it worked, I thought it may be problems in my area.
    My phone was set to allow roaming all ready. Thanks. I don't think that is my problem. Hard reset is problem my next course of action.
    If WP is WeatherPanel, then uninstall that. After losing the data connection multiple times, I uninstalled both Treo Alert and WeatherPanel. The data connection now works.

Lea
  8.    #8  
    I just removed Weather Panel. Sad. I will soft reset and see if this helps.
    I have similar connection problems. I think it's related to WP. GPS today is frequently not able to access data after a while, if WP is running. I think it also has something to do with changing networks. I turn my phone off, fly somewhere, turn phone on, have weak signal at times. Sometimes data works except GPS today, sometimes I have to multiple times disconnect and retry to get anything to get data. Sometimes that works, but if it does, GPS today is still dead in the water.

Similar issues reported in my thread on WP and 2009 hourly data...
  10.    #10  
    I removed WP, but it hasn't improved performance that much for me. I wonder if the WM patch is the problem. I lose connection with my messages at least once a day. I am on my PC right now check to make sure I don't have any messages from work to respond to. I should not have to soft reset 2 x or 3 x a day to check email.
    Like I said before:

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Hate to say it but.....

Backup, do a hard reset, and see if it still happens. Probably won't, which brings you to the pleasurable task of trying to figure out what software is doing it.
    Often a hard reset is the only way to undo damage done.
  12.    #12  
    I took a business trip and my phone worked a little better. I have 4 bars at my home and live in an urban area, but the data connection is much worse here. I guess a hard reset is the only thing left to try. After that, I guess I might try to get Sprint to give me a Pro or another 800. Uggh. I am falling out of love with this phone. The honeymoon is over.
    Honestly, you shouldn't decide you dislike a phone until you determine that it wasn't you that screwed it up.

I've gotten frustrated with plenty a phone (from my 650 on down).....only to realize later that something I had done had messed it up. Not the phone's fault at all, merely user error.

Now it's certainly possible that there's something wrong with the phone (some early 800w's seemed to have some radio issues). But backup, hard reset, and try it. It'll take you 15 minutes to do that, tops. And if it doesn't work, another 10 to restore. Worst case scenario you lose a couple hours of your life, best case, you realize what you did wrong and fix it.