Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    As if that needed confirmation...
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    Some leaked papers started the concern.
    I guess if sprint wanted to cripple the thing.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Some leaked papers started the concern.
    I guess if sprint wanted to cripple the thing.
    Sprint never wanted it crippled on the 800w. Palm just made the 800w with defective hardware. Every other Sprint phone with GPS has fully-working Standalone GPS and now the Treo Pro is confirmed to have it as well.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Sprint never wanted it crippled on the 800w. Palm just made the 800w with defective hardware. Every other Sprint phone with GPS has fully-working Standalone GPS and now the Treo Pro is confirmed to have it as well.
    The treo pro's gps doesn't work on mine.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    What stand alone GPS would work on the Pro?

Right now I have TomTom7 on my 800w and everything works except the D-pad.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

TomTom7 doesn't work on the 800w unless you're in Sprint coverage. If you go out of the country or somewhere there isn't a Sprint signal (the kind of place where you really need GPS), the 800w is useless. The GPS on the Treo Pro will work everywhere in the world!
    With the GPS tweak (enabling the alternate aGPS, cached, and autonomous modes) you can use the 800w on any CDMA network, not just Sprint's.

Won't work anywhere in the world, but it'll work a lotta places.
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    With the GPS tweak (enabling the alternate aGPS, cached, and autonomous modes) you can use the 800w on any CDMA network, not just Sprint's.

Won't work anywhere in the world, but it'll work a lotta places.
    Approx. 1% of the globe isn't exactly "a lotta places." I'll take non-defective Standalone GPS, thank you very much.
    Approx. 1% of the globe isn't exactly "a lotta places." I'll take non-defective Standalone GPS, thank you very much.
    Really? 1%?

That's an awful large 1%. Must be some of that "new" math that I keep hearing about.
    Really? 1%?
    That's an awful large 1%. Must be some of that "new" math that I keep hearing about.
    What the posting of that map shows is only that Maps and statistics in the hands of people who don't understand or don't research the underlying data or the technology are dangerous.

Next time -- actually "click" that map before correcting a person and once again positing incorrect assertions.

http://www.cdg.org/roaming/general_i...n.asp?region=2
    http://www.cdg.org/roaming/general_i...n.asp?region=1

What no CDMA 1900/800 coverage 99% of the places marked outside of US and canada as covered? oh my.

The 800w GPS is usable only in about 5% earth. The tweaks have zero effect on the issue anyway. Since they have zero affect on the standalone issue, which the know cause of its failure is requirement of an 1900/800 CDMA timing signal, something you can not get on about 95% of the globe.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Standalone refers to the ability to work with out assistance data like accurate timing signals from CDMA towers.

So your tomtom on a smartphone with standalone GPS will work in all areas of the globe and on the 800w will work in about 5% of the globe.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    standalone GPS will work in all areas of the globe and on the 800w will work in about 5% of the globe.

1% or 5% it does not make any difference when your sprint Treo Pro will not have enough RAM to run a robust mapping program in 100% of the globe.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Next time -- actually "click" that map before correcting a person and once again positing incorrect assertions.
    You are absolutely right Aero.

I was posting an incorrect assertion by even suggesting that CDMA coverage is more than 1% of the globe. Nevermind that I never said how much more (only that it was more). I should know that NSXPrime is always right.

NSX, I'm sorry for ever doubting that CDMA covers more than 1% of the globe.

The 800w GPS is usable only in about 5% earth.
    I guess you need to apologize too, Aero. You shouldn't disagree with NSX! He said 1%, and it's 1%!

The tweaks have zero effect on the issue anyway. Since they have zero affect on the standalone issue, which the know cause of its failure is requirement of an 1900/800 CDMA timing signal, something you can not get on about 95% of the globe.
    I think you're confused Aero. Since you so helpfully corrected me above, let me return the favor.

First, standalone wasn't even part of the discussion for where the 800w works.

Secondly, the tweaks open up GPS on roaming (that means off-Sprint) networks. Many (but not all) roaming networks will not work with GPS if the 800w is in stock configuration. With the tweak applied, those same roaming networks will now allow GPS to work.

This, of course, opens up a huge number of networks (both domestic and worldwide).

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    1% or 5% it does not make any difference when your sprint Treo Pro will not have enough RAM to run a robust mapping program in 100% of the globe.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 01/22/2009 at 04:08 PM.
    I guess you need to apologize too, Aero. You shouldn't disagree with NSX! He said 1%, and it's 1%!
    Need to apologize to who? This is the Pro Standalone GPS thread and you posted a map of CDMA coverage which i the given issue, your assertion your "fix" will enable the 80w to work on any CDMA network.

If you traveled with a US 1900/800 CDMA phone you would know why your map in support of that claim is spurious.

The number serious peopel are talking about is 5%, and with good reason. It is not the huge area you showed nor is it the 1% someone else claimed.

Moreover your fix does zero, zip zero, Nada that affects the accurate time assistance agPS requirement that kills standalone on the 800w. You know it, I know it, anyone who knows the several aGPS method but the one required method, knows it. You are not affecting the uptake of GPS time via tower with the fix, you are affecting in very limited cases, the optional agps almanac and ephemeris uptake via ip session.

I absolutely dare you to state that you think that with or without the fix the 800w gps will work in Moscow, Warsaw, Beijing, Tokyo etc as implied by your use of that map. You know it won't.

This, of course, opens up a huge number of networks (both domestic and worldwide).
    no it doesn't. it has zero effect on that issue. All you are saying with that worldwide statement is that you have not tried and have not traveled.
    secondly, the tweaks open up GPS on roaming (that means off-Sprint) networks. Many (but not all) roaming networks will not work with GPS if the 800w is in stock configuration. With the tweak applied, those same roaming networks will now allow GPS to work.
    That is so wrong and everyone but you knows this.

The way the tower relays timing used by accurate time assist has nothing to do with your fix. Nothing. the way the 800w uptakes the time requirement has nothing to do with it at all either.

You seem not to understand that ephemeris, almanac and time are naturally and natively transmitted by satellites.

The 800w in addition to using an otional uptake of ephemeris and almanac (one form of aGPS) from a network instead of satellites, also can and does get them from the satellites quite well. So your claim that your fix extends coverage is 100% false. It doesn't extend coverage by a single tower on the planet and that is a stone cold fact.

The 800w has a unique requirement, accurate time from the towers. GPS units, aGPS units that do internal work and do the trilateral calculations , also can get the atomic time down to microseconds time from satellites. the 800w will not allow that accurate time to be taken from the satellites and insists on a tower, and not just any CDMA tower, but ones of a specific frequency.

as far as Garmin working on the HTC Pro, it does, we also know Garmin has program lag and redraw problems on the Treo 800w. That is why many of us, even those that prefer Garmin, and don't want to use GPSgate do use TomTom itself, because Garmin has its own problems with 800w.

As far as TomTom and Navigon working on the Treo Pro I have used Navigon quite well on much slower pda devices with less ram so the jury is out and neither you or I know.
    Last edited by aero; 01/22/2009 at 08:35 PM.
  15.    #16  
    What the posting of that map shows is only that Maps and statistics in the hands of people who don't understand or don't research the underlying data or the technology are dangerous.

http://www.cdg.org/roaming/general_i...n.asp?region=2
    http://www.cdg.org/roaming/general_i...n.asp?region=1

What no CDMA 1900/800 coverage 99% of the places marked outside of US and canada as covered? oh my.

The 800w GPS is usable only in about 5% earth. The tweaks have zero effect on the issue anyway. Since they have zero affect on the standalone issue, which the know cause of its failure is requirement of an 1900/800 CDMA timing signal, something you can not get on about 95% of the globe.
    Ouchie. Yes, almost the entire world is off-limits to the defective 800w. So glad that HTC made the Treo Pro to work correctly.
    Ouchie. Yes, almost the entire world is off-limits to the defective 800w. So glad that HTC made the Treo Pro to work correctly.
    Being a CDMA device, I think most people are familiar with "almost the entire world is off limits". Not exactly a profound observation there

Now the question is: does GPS make up for the paltry RAM? Hmmm...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Being a CDMA device, I think most people are familiar with "almost the entire world is off limits". Not exactly a profound observation there

Now the question is: does GPS make up for the paltry RAM? Hmmm...
    Mal respectfully we don't know the effect.

Look at thw situation with the LED, in all respect to Hannip, his LED fix as several have noted can cause problems. It is now included. as are other features.

So there is a mix of features which the majority of people wanted added and now which are added under a warranted or supported circumstance, like led, flash support, more video support, a front end that is better and may replace sbc, pic mail (?) etc. There also maybe what some consider bloatware.

For example what is the fix to the poor volume on the 800w unique headphone scheme? adding a program!

I think huge numbers of people here have said the typical user adds no programs. So let's see how it can be tweaked. the problem with the standalone gps on the 800w was is it could not be tweaked.

I intend to put it through the paces for 30 days
    well, part of that comment was admitedly in jest

but honestly, just speaking from past experience on WM devices: not enough RAM (like on the Mogul) can cause significant problems. Now, the Treo Pro doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as that situation and i keep stressing that it might not mean anything, which is why it needs to be tested/evaluated.

my opinion/prediction: for most messenger/business users, it'll be okay; for "power users" it could cause a problem

all i know is, in this day, there is no excuse as chips are chips--no programming, no drivers.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    absolutely. i will look at very closely when I have my own in hand. In my case effect on programs such as TTom or navigon will e something I check out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast