Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Now that the Treo Pro is confirmed to have working standalone GPS, is it something that can be used to fix the defective GPS on the 800w? Might be a way to keep more people in the 800w until the Pro comes out.
  2. #2  
    It's different hardware.

    (As has already been said plenty of times before.)
  3. #3  
    Where is evidence someone actually tested the Sprint Treo Pro, to ensure stand alone GPS works as expected out of the box?

    Some spec sheet saying it works is about as reliable as the 800w spec sheet .
  4. #4  
    Oh, I see someone has confirmed stand alone GPS works on the Sprint Treo Pro.

    And another example of someone due for a free swap from the 800w to the Treo Pro.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It's different hardware.

    (As has already been said plenty of times before.)
    Oh, now it makes a difference .
  5. #5  
    If I had an 800 I would try getting it swapped for the Treo Pro for sure due to the standalone issue.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It's different hardware.

    (As has already been said plenty of times before.)
    So every 800w just has defective hardware and is irreparable? That will certainly open the flood gates.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    So every 800w just has defective hardware and is irreparable? That will certainly open the flood gates.
    by the lack of interest in your multiple threads/posts announcing this, I would think the opposite

    All we are missing in this thread is Aero, LOL

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    So every 800w just has defective hardware and is irreparable?
    Well yeah, A couple other 800w defective hardware issues that come to mind, is the 800w inability to record calls from the rear speaker to the voice recorder, and no BTauto answer ability.....

    Will the CDMA Treo Pro do the above mentioned? I don't know....

    I will certainly look at one.....

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Well yeah, A couple other 800w defective hardware issues that come to mind, is the 800w inability to record calls from the rear speaker to the voice recorder
    That's by design. Microsoft's design.

    HTC hacked their devices to do so, and is possibly breaking the law by doing so (depending on how you read them). Certainly in some states you can very easily be breaking the law by using it.

    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    and no BTauto answer ability.....
    Again, by design.

    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    PhoneAlarm advertises an auto answer feature for bluetooth headsets.


    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Will the CDMA Treo Pro do the above mentioned? I don't know....

    I will certainly look at one.....

    The Pro may have the "feature" of recording off the back speaker. (It may not though as HTC is not giving up all their goodies for a Palm branded device.) The GSM Pro does not, so it's unlikely that the CDMA one will.

    I doubt it'll have the bluetooth auto-answer as no other WM phone (that I'm aware of) offers that.


    Neither of those are hardware issues. (Then again, neither is the GPS, it's actually a firmware issue, not hardware.)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's by design. Microsoft's design.

    HTC hacked their devices to do so, and is possibly breaking the law by doing so (depending on how you read them). Certainly in some states you can very easily be breaking the law by using it.



    Again, by design.

    Also:






    The Pro may have the "feature" of recording off the back speaker. (It may not though as HTC is not giving up all their goodies for a Palm branded device.) The GSM Pro does not, so it's unlikely that the CDMA one will.

    I doubt it'll have the bluetooth auto-answer as no other WM phone (that I'm aware of) offers that.


    Neither of those are hardware issues. (Then again, neither is the GPS, it's actually a firmware issue, not hardware.)
    Ebag, all Palm OS phones have the abilty to record calls. The 800w is not hard wired to do so.

    And, the Sprint Touch Pro does have BT auto answer. Under Settings/Phone/More you can enable headset and there is a selection for the number of rings for auto pickup.

    The 800w is not hard wired to do so.

    When you campare the 800w WM 6.1 OS to the Touch Pro WM 6.1 OS, you start to see what has been chopped out of the 800w OS because of the hardware issues, or what the 800w has not been hard wired for.

  11. #11  
    treotraveler,

    the only issue I have with your original post above was the use of "defective".

    The 800w merely lacks certain features but it is not defective--meaning it should work a certain way but fails to do so. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $only$ $the$ $GPS$ $falls$ $into$ $that$ $category$, $even$ $then$ $it$ $seems$ $more$ $firmware$ $than$ $hardware$.

    Otherwise one could say the Touch Pro has defective hardware since it cannot directly record phone calls or receive FM radio.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    treotraveler,

    the only issue I have with your original post above was the use of "defective".

    The 800w merely lacks certain features but it is not defective--meaning it should work a certain way but fails to do so. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $only$ $the$ $GPS$ $falls$ $into$ $that$ $category$, $even$ $then$ $it$ $seems$ $more$ $firmware$ $than$ $hardware$.

    Otherwise one could say the Touch Pro has defective hardware since it cannot directly record phone calls or receive FM radio.
    OK, if that makes you feel better.....

    Since the 800w hardware is not designed for standalone GPS (I doubt it's a firmware issue, if it was, it may have been fixed by now), record phone calls or BT auto answer, like a WM Touch Pro does, I guess we can call it poor hardware design.......

  13. #13  
    Autoanswer - if one means with a Bluetooth headset, my Sprint Touch Pro is set to answer 1 ring and does just that. It goes to the headset and is automagically answered in 1 ring. Works fine with the Motorola H500 Bluetooth headset.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's by design. Microsoft's design.

    I doubt it'll have the bluetooth auto-answer as no other WM phone (that I'm aware of) offers that.


    Neither of those are hardware issues. (Then again, neither is the GPS, it's actually a firmware issue, not hardware.)
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Ebag, all Palm OS phones have the abilty to record calls. The 800w is not hard wired to do so.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Should we say that the iPhone has defective hardware because it does not offer copy and paste? No. 1) it's not defective because it lacks a feature and 2) it has nothing to do with hardware.

    It has nothing to do with "hard wired". It has everything to do with the basic level of the OS, and the design there-of. MS could have easily added the ability for voice to be routed through the OS, but it's handled completely separately. It's 100% a software issue, 0% hardware. 100% MS, 0% Palm.

    The recording from the rear speaker is a complete hack by HTC, and a novelty at best. How many people are going to want to record a phone call while on speakerphone? If people need to record calls, they usually record phone calls for legal reasons.

    I guess it's a good feature for the drunken frat boy who wants to record his breakup with his girlfriend to replay for all his buddies. But as a business feature, it's really fairly useless.


    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    And, the Sprint Touch Pro does have BT auto answer. Under Settings/Phone/More you can enable headset and there is a selection for the number of rings for auto pickup.
    You sure that feature is for BT auto answer?

    On every other WM phone I've seen that's for a wired headset only. (See the thread I linked above in the quote from Hannip, it goes more into detail on it.) Googling also turns up zero results for a native WM function for BT auto-answer...but plenty of complaints that the wired option (which you mention above) doesn't work with BT.

    Again, a software design, nothing to do with hardware. Poor software design IMHO, but that blame firmly lays on Microsoft's shoulders, not Palm.s


    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    When you campare the 800w WM 6.1 OS to the Touch Pro WM 6.1 OS, you start to see what has been chopped out of the 800w OS because of the hardware issues, or what the 800w has not been hard wired for.
    I can guarantee you that I've been 100x more in depth into either the 800w or the Touch Pro's ROM's. I've played around with both a lot, and even looked at porting some stuff from the Touch Pro (haven't really attempted to do so yet due to a lack of time).

    I know perfectly well what the 800w is "hard wired for".


    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    OK, if that makes you feel better.....

    Since the 800w hardware is not designed for standalone GPS (I doubt it's a firmware issue, if it was, it may have been fixed by now), record phone calls or BT auto answer, like a WM Touch Pro does, I guess we can call it poor hardware design.......

    Again, none of those have anything to do with hardware. Two of those is software/OS, and the third is firmware.

    The lack of an update has nothing to do with whether it is firmware or not. Plenty of devices have gone 9 months to a year without updates for major issues (much larger than standalone GPS, really).

    Palm may choose to never release an update, but that might have nothing to do with their ability to do so, but because Sprint doesn't want to go through testing an update to the 800w. Any changes at the firmware level must be approved by the carrier (as it requires a ROM flash, not a simple update), which means it has to go through Sprint testing.

    This is why ROM updates are not often seen prior to 6 months after a device is released, and it's not uncommon for them to take a year or longer to be released. There's more players involved, which takes more time.
  15. #15  
    Ebag quote:
    "You sure that feature is for BT auto answer?

    On every other WM phone I've seen that's for a wired headset only. (See the thread I linked above in the quote from Hannip, it goes more into detail on it.) Googling also turns up zero results for a native WM function for BT auto-answer...but plenty of complaints that the wired option (which you mention above) doesn't work with BT."

    Ebag, you're kidding Right? Or do you think BT auto answer is in my imagination?

    I use BT auto answer on my Touch Pro with a Moto H700 and a Moto HT820 BT stereo headset.

    Ben chimmed in above about using his H500 with it.

    Go grab a Sprint Touch Pro and check it out for yourself....

    As for the rest, again, if it makes you feel better to believe the 800w is all that.

    I'm sure the other former 800w users don't think the 800w is all that anymore......
    Last edited by treotraveler; 01/21/2009 at 12:45 PM.
  16. #16  
    These kinds of threads never fail to amuse me. I have nothing against nsxprime, but I thought by now most of you would have figured out that some of his threads/posts/questions are just bait to make the 800w look bad. It's not like there aren't 3546546 threads in this forum about the 800w's GPS and how it isn't standalone or how it can be fixed, etc. etc. What's new in this one?

    We all know very realistically that the 800w's GPS issue is not likely to be fixed at all, and if it was fixed, it would be by Palm and not some hacker here or anywhere else (although I'd love to be proven wrong).

    What is the point of these kinds of threads? And then the comparison to the Touch Pro? As if it's relevant to anything. The Touch Pro isn't going to help fix the 800w's GPS and neither is the Treo Pro. And I know you all know that too.

    Look how this thread has now gone into semantics about features vs defections, and is no longer even about GPS. What's the point of it? Smh@this whole thread.

    I may just be ranting here but I don't see why the same few people argue tirelessly over nothing, especially when they know that threads like this are created just to cause argument and nothing else.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    These kinds of threads never fail to amuse me. I have nothing against nsxprime, but I thought by now most of you would have figured out that some of his threads/posts/questions are just bait to make the 800w look bad. It's not like there aren't 3546546 threads in this forum about the 800w's GPS and how it isn't standalone or how it can be fixed, etc. etc. What's new in this one?

    We all know very realistically that the 800w's GPS issue is not likely to be fixed at all, and if it was fixed, it would be by Palm and not some hacker here or anywhere else (although I'd love to be proven wrong).

    What is the point of these kinds of threads? And then the comparison to the Touch Pro? As if it's relevant to anything. The Touch Pro isn't going to help fix the 800w's GPS and neither is the Treo Pro. And I know you all know that too.

    Look how this thread has now gone into semantics about features vs defections, and is no longer even about GPS. What's the point of it? Smh@this whole thread.

    I may just be ranting here but I don't see why the same few people argue tirelessly over nothing, especially when they know that threads like this are created just to cause argument and nothing else.
    Ditto!
    You fellas need to grow up and move on
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    OK, if that makes you feel better.....

    Since the 800w hardware is not designed for standalone GPS (I doubt it's a firmware issue, if it was, it may have been fixed by now), record phone calls or BT auto answer, like a WM Touch Pro does, I guess we can call it poor hardware design.......

    No need to be condescending.

    It's not about me "feeling better" it's about proper use of terminology, like using "poor hardware design" is also incorrect since it is not failing to do something that was intended--it just lacks features you desire, which is fine

    I don't claim my Civic has "poor hardware design" because it doesn't have heated seats, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Ditto!
    You fellas need to grow up and move on
    Eh, it's a slow day anyways. :-P
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/21/2009 at 02:23 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  19. #19  
    Slow news day or not, this is pointless. closed.

Posting Permissions