Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Has anyone here use Pdanet or Wmwifirouter to tether on the Pro using AT&T network? Does it work well?

Do they check if you are not suppose to use it for tethering to your laptop/pc?
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Has anyone here use Pdanet or Wmwifirouter to tether on the Pro using AT&T network? Does it work well?

Do they check if you are not suppose to use it for tethering to your laptop/pc?
    Doesn't look like you have any responders, yet. But I have a question. Have you tried either on any other phones? Just wondering if there's a comparison as to which works better or better for various scenarios.

I'm not sure if there's anything that AT&T does to check tethering. But certainly a drastic difference in data flow might be something you'd want to avoid.

Bill
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I use Pdanet on Mogul and 800w and it work great. Pdanet and Wmwifirouter work great on 800w also. I only have the SERO plan.

I am just curious if you teather on AT&T plan, would they find out.

I dont how the Pro will behave using the Pdanet and Mogul as I dont have it yet.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    I am just curious if you teather on AT&T plan, would they find out.

I dont how the Pro will behave using the Pdanet and Mogul as I dont have it yet.
    Did a little research. WmWifirouter does not list Treo Pro at all. Treonauts has PDANet for sale, with the Treo Pro included as one of the compatible devices. Also, the description says it uses a regular data plan instead of a tethering plan. They make it sound like there's no way to tell, except perhaps by change in volume of data. Most sites that have versions of PDANet include ratings & reviews -- almost all positive.
    OK. Grabbed the latest trial version of PDANet. It was ridiculously simple to install on laptop & Treo Pro. I've only tested at home with a USB connection. DSLReports gave 353 down, 40 up, tested several different ways. My DSL is 1563 down, 356 up. I should note that cell coverage is pretty flakey where I live -- it can change just by moving or turning in the same room.

To use PDANet, connect phone to computer, open ICS on the phone, use ICS to connect. That's it. The version of ICS on the Treo Pro seems to only allow USB & bluetooth. So, even though PDANet is supposed to allow Wifi as a means of connecting to the computer, I'm not sure that's possible on the Treo Pro. I'll have to explore that further.

I want to try it out in a locale where I know there's solid cell signal before I decide. Also, I want to see if Wifi is usable. Bluetooth is broken on my laptop & there might be situations where corded connections may be precarious for laptop, phone or both. There is a 3 week test period before you have to buy or uninstall.
    Last edited by kraski; 01/23/2009 at 02:35 AM.
    I tether on my Treo Pro (have at&t) just using the WM6.1 using Internet Sharing. It works w/o any problem, altough I only use it for emergencies and occasionally. I have a regular MediaNet Plan data plan with at&t at $15/month.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I just use the built-in Internet Sharing and it works fine. My plan predates AT&T's splitting out of tethering, but AT&T is claiming that I'm not authorized for tethering. I do have a PDA unlimited data plan. I don't use tethering much and they haven't dinged me about it.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    So with the PDA unlimited plan, you can also tether but not at an alarming rate for them to find out right?

That is good to know.

Has anyone tried PdaNet and Wifirouter on the Pro on AT&T network?

I guess if it work, then the Pro should work the same with these two software when in Sprint network.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Why would you even bother with PdaNet?
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    I just use the built-in Internet Sharing and it works fine. My plan predates AT&T's splitting out of tethering, but AT&T is claiming that I'm not authorized for tethering. I do have a PDA unlimited data plan. I don't use tethering much and they haven't dinged me about it.
    There must be a difference either in phones or coverage area. Reception where I live varies between Edge & HSDPA. Without PDANet running, ICS loses connection periodically. With PDANet, the connection remains stable.
    Has anyone tried PdaNet and Wifirouter on the Pro on AT&T network?

I guess if it work, then the Pro should work the same with these two software when in Sprint network.
    I've now briefly tried ICS alone, PDANet & WMWifiRouter. All tested at home, where signal fluctuates between Edge & HSDPA. So, here goes:

ICS alone -- makes the connection, doesn't consistently hold it, tethered via USB.

Install & run PDANet, connect with ICS -- makes the connection, the connection remains stable, tethered via USB. PDANet options show USB & bluetooth as the choices available (as does ICS). The website indicates Wifi is doable. I guess I'll get to experiment some.

Install & run WMWifiRouter. Preferred connection is Wifi, never functional wth the Treo Pro & my Toshiba laptop. It didn't seem to like USB either, with or without ICS. Setup sufficiently complex that the lack of real success didn't get my usual stubbornness working to get the software functioning.

So, for me, the ICS/PDANet combination works well. And, yes, I'm on AT&T. I still need to check a locale with better data reception.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    You should get WMWifirouter to work. You can use it as Wifi or use the USB cable. I got it working on the 800w.

Setup is like a wizard and I just pick the recommendation setting. It is no more different then setting up at wireless router.

Did you try doing it without any adding a password protection first?
    I just don't comprehend go thru all that when you can use the built-in Internet Sharing utility that comes with Windows Mobile 6.1?
    You should get WMWifirouter to work. You can use it as Wifi or use the USB cable. I got it working on the 800w.

Setup is like a wizard and I just pick the recommendation setting. It is no more different then setting up at wireless router.

Did you try doing it without any adding a password protection first?
    I didn't set it up without password protection, but it didn't work either with Wifi or USB on my phone.

I did set up my wireless router correctly, without even having to read the manual. If WMWifiRouter is so simple, it should work once installed & configured. But it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    I just don't comprehend go thru all that when you can use the built-in Internet Sharing utility that comes with Windows Mobile 6.1?
    I'm not sure what the difference is between your phone or locale & mine. But ICS alone would not keep a solid connection on mine, whereas PDANet does. As I said, my home is in a fringe area. So, that may be the difference.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I just hope Wifirouter works on the Pro when I get it for Sprint.

You know having wireless connection is so much better without those tangling USB wires?

For example, I am rocking on the bus/train and I have my phone in my pocket and I surf on my laptop.

Also when I am at work, I kinda look innnocent turning on my work laptop using Wifi and using my phone to get to it and break all the proxy barriers.
    I just hope Wifirouter works on the Pro when I get it for Sprint.

You know having wireless connection is so much better without those tangling USB wires?

For example...
    I agree completely about the Wifi. PDANet says it will do Wifi, but I haven't seen any instructions for it. I may try WMWifiRouter again with your setup suggestions.
    I can confirm that Wmwifirouter works just fine with AT&T with Treo Pro. Just install and go.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Also confirm is that you can have unlimited PDA data and ATT would not know if you tether right?

Thanks everyone!
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Yes, they can know. If you do not have a tethering plan, you connect via wap.cingular.com instead of isp.cingular.com. They can look at the traffic and decide if it looks like tethering. I doubt they'd bother unless you were running gigabytes of traffic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast