1.    #1  
    I will finally be ordering the unlocked GSM Treo Pro within the next few days. However, one issue still concerns me, and that's with the well-documented reports of cracks appearing in the case. Has it been conclusively determined if particular serial numbers are indicitive of possible cracks in the case?

Since it's been roughly 4 months since the Treo Pro was first released, would ordering the phone right now ensure that I would get one from a newer and therefore "better" batch? Is there anyway to know if Palm or HTC have made any changes or revisions to the design/structure of the Pro case since the reports of the cracked case have started? I'd hate to spend $500 on a phone, only to have it crumble in my hands.

Can anyone who RECENTLY (e.g., within the last month or so) bought a Treo Pro confirm that they are not plagued by the case cracking issue?
    As soon as you get it, check the s/n.

Take a look at this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=173784

If you browse thru that thread you'll see some common s/n #'s that get cracks and ones like 9C8H that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Another cracked 9M8H.
    I really think both the 9M8H & 9N8H are the most affected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    That is the case. Those were the early S/Ns supplied in the US.

Out of the ones that have been reported, 24 have those codes and 17 had cracks (71%).

Out of all other TPs reported (which will include ones with those codes who hadn't reported their S/Ns), there were 49 of which 25 had cracks (51%). Still high, but remember that this thread will particularly attract those who have a crack.
    But, like you're hoping, I would think the bad batch is long gone.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Hmm - I have a "9M8H" and no cracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    Hmm - I have a "9M8H" and no cracks.
    From that crack thread it just seemed that they were the majority of cracked.
    oh well, maybe that was a bad theory of mine.
    Just call me Berd.
    I ordered my Pro from Palm so I could return it within 30 days if I didn't like it. I would suggest doing the same to anyone. Any cracking should happen quickly, especially if the unit is taken between temperature extremes.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the advice. I'll go ahead and order it, and then see if it will crack within the first 30 days. I'll be carrying around a magnifying glass with me at all times to constantly check the case!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'll go ahead and order it, and then see if it will crack within the first 30 days. I'll be carrying around a magnifying glass with me at all times to constantly check the case!
    I don't know,

Does this sound like a dumb idea?

Call Palm and tell them you'd like to order a Pro.
    Tell em, that although you don't put a lot of stock in what you read online, you see a lot of talk from pretty trustworthy associates, that there has been an issue with the Pro developing hairline cracks at no fault by user.

Perhaps ask if you could speak to someone a little beyond first level support.
    Preferably someone who has heard of the hairline crack issue.
    Also tell them that you've heard of ones that have been given some resistance on getting a replacement when their Pro develops hairline cracks.

Tell them you are really interested in the pro, but you're apprehensive because there's been too many reports to dismiss it as just rumors.

Ask them if there has been any talk about these hairline crack issues and how Palm will handle future warranty issues regarding hairline cracks.

I know I'm rambling on, but I think you see what I'm trying to say.
    Just call me Berd.
  8.    #8  
    Okay, I took the plunge and ordered the Treo Pro! And I wasn't kidding when I said that I will be examining the case everyday with a magnifying glass to look for cracks so that I would still be able to return it if necessary within the 30-day return policy...