Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    I would find that odd if true. Why would they make it have less? Bloatware? That much? I am thinking I am happy to have the unlocked version if that is true. I have almost as much free after programs as the Sprint one does total if that is true?? That would make things interesting...
    No idea.

Looking back up at your TP numbers, those are within 1-3mbs of the 800ws--that is more than ample.

Is it a fluke? Perhaps some bloatware is loading up on startup? Too early to say. It may be able to be tweaked, maybe not.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    My main storage seems low though. Should I put more things on the card? Pograms? etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    My main storage seems low though. Should I put more things on the card? Pograms? etc?
    well, we're getting OT here but try something like MemMaid--you may have lots of cache'd internet files and temp files.

also maybe uninstall some apps. You can run Storage down pretty low, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    OK so it seems that it changes each time I load it but this time it was 18mb. Still a lot more than 1.4MB Think about it, it has to emulate a dragon-ball processor and load garnet on top of that. I may not be as smart as you are but I'm smart enough know that takes more than 1.4MB.
    So much for Palm's "special sauce." If that's their idea of memory management, they can keep it. So glad that the Treo Pro was designed and built by HTC.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    So much for Palm's "special sauce." If that's their idea of memory management, they can keep it. So glad that the Treo Pro was designed and built by HTC.

It looks like you may have a point.
    My apologies

I think the difference may be in the processor architecture.

Lets hope that the Sprint Treo Pro can run Style Tap as efficiently as your Mogul can.
    Last edited by rc46; 01/23/2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Maybe in a year and a half so they will come out with the Treo Pro refresh. Olive green or rose, soft touch paint, WM 6.1.1, and 256 RAM. Probably not until everyone else has 512 standard and WM 7 though.

On a serious note: I wonder if Palm might be about done developing WM devices? Can they really compete in the corporate world anymore?
    Last edited by MobileBiz; 01/24/2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBiz View Post
    On a serious note: I wonder if Palm might be about done developing WM devices? Can they really compete in the corporate world anymore?
    You can make that even broader and ask can WM compete in the corporate world anymore? BB seems to doing pretty well there, despite MS's best attempts to dislodge them.

Regardless, Palm has put less emphasis now on their Treo line. If and when they regain their strength, I'm sure they will return to it with more force. Right now, they have to choose their battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Regardless, Palm has put less emphasis now on their Treo line. If and when they regain their strength, I'm sure they will return to it with more force. Right now, they have to choose their battles.
    Agreed. One could say that the future success of Palm WM devices depends of the success of WebOS. If they sell several million Pre's then they will have plenty of resources to develop some kick @ss WM devices
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I'm a little skeptical of the 5 hour talk time rating Sprint gave to the Treo Pro only because I've had the Touch Pro for a while now and when it comes to battery life it stinks. Both phones use the 7501A chipset which imo is highly inefficient with regard to battery life.

There's a lot of people over at ppcgeeks who have been having trouble with excessive battery draining/charging issues with their Touch Pros. With Htc manufacturing both devices it makes me wonder if the Treo Pro will suffer from the same type of problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    I'm a little skeptical of the 5 hour talk time rating Sprint gave to the Treo Pro only because I've had the Touch Pro for a while now and when it comes to battery life it stinks. Both phones use the 7501A chipset which imo is highly inefficient with regard to battery life.

There's a lot of people over at ppcgeeks who have been having trouble with excessive battery draining/charging issues with their Touch Pros. With Htc manufacturing both devices it makes me wonder if the Treo Pro will suffer from the same type of problems.
    What's interesting is that the GSM and CDMA Treo Pro's share the same 5 hour talk time rating. They also share the same size battery (1500 mA).

However, the CDMA Treo Pro's processor is over 30% faster than the GSM Treo Pro.

Either HTC did some serious power management, or the different chipset is significantly more power efficient, or we're going to quickly find that the battery life is more in the 4-4.5 hour range.

the touch pro has bigger screen and smaller battery than the Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Aye. It's also rated an hour less (4 hours talk time).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333
    What's interesting is that the GSM and CDMA Treo Pro's share the same 5 hour talk time rating. They also share the same size battery (1500 mA).

However, the CDMA Treo Pro's processor is over 30% faster than the GSM Treo Pro.

Either HTC did some serious power management, or the different chipset is significantly more power efficient, or we're going to quickly find that the battery life is more in the 4-4.5 hour range.
    Well I'm kind of hoping that because the Treo Pro is still a Palm device that they actually had a pretty good hand in developing/maximizing the build of the radio/rom software. Until this device gets released and tested properly (Mal I'm looking at you lol) all we have are these lousy numbers to go by. From my experience with the Touch Pro, I'm not too impressed by the 7501A chipset but that could also be due to HTC and the build of their rom.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Yeah that's true but when you look at battery size does an extra 160mAh (1500 vs 1340) really make that much of a difference in power? One thing I know for sure is that battery drops pretty quick on the Touch Pro even if you have it in standby for a while. Now is that due to the chipset/radio eating too much power or just a poor software build from HTC? Hopefully Palm was able to tweak the software enough to give the same 7501A chipset better performance than HTC did.
    Well I'm kind of hoping that because the Treo Pro is still a Palm device that they actually had a pretty good hand in developing/maximizing the build of the radio/rom software. Until this device gets released and tested properly (Mal I'm looking at you lol) all we have are these lousy numbers to go by. From my experience with the Touch Pro, I'm not too impressed by the 7501A chipset but that could also be due to HTC and the build of their rom.
    Palm had very little to do with the GSM Treo Pro. I don't expect them to have done much with the CDMA version, but it's possible.

Yeah that's true but when you look at battery size does an extra 160mAh (1500 vs 1340) really make that much of a difference in power? One thing I know for sure is that battery drops pretty quick on the Touch Pro even if you have it in standby for a while. Now is that due to the chipset/radio eating too much power or just a poor software build from HTC? Hopefully Palm was able to tweak the software enough to give the same 7501A chipset better performance than HTC did.
    160 mAh can make a difference depending on the chipset, how the ROM is setup, etc.

Look at the 800w to the GSM Treo Pro. The GSM Treo Pro has a 30% larger battery but only an 11% greater talk time.

The Touch Pro has almost 200 mAh more than the 800w, yet has less talk time (4 hours VS 4.5 hours).

Personally, I think that the chipset plays a very large part in it. There's too much of a difference in the power usage comparing the Treo Pro or Touch Pro to the 800w to be explained by the differences I've found in the ROM setup.

That's one of the reasons that makes me really question the published talk time on the CDMA Treo Pro. I can't really see how they are getting that much talk time out of that setup. I wonder if it's a copy/paste error from the GSM version.
    After testing the Treo Pro GSM and 800w side by side I got about 30 to 40% longer battery lfie on the Treo Pro.

ON your point, yes that the Treo Pros greatly increase battery life over the Touch pro is clear, but it is not remarkable given the differences.

First, HTC it isn't as bad as the meter indicates. A number of us who used the HTC touch pro have concluded there is inexact battery metering
    From one of the HTC Touch Pro reviews:
    The battery meter reminds us of those gas gauges on 50s American cars: it drops quickly from full to 1/4, but that last quarter of a charge seems to last forever. Clearly, it could use a calibration tweak.
    The HTC touch seems to be a about as inappropriate a device as one can find to compare to Treo Pro anyway. With its wider screen, bigger display and higher resolution it is much more adaptable to use for web browsing and watching video.

We also know these "talk time" claims, are just that, with test showing 30 or 40% differences from claimed times. Also GSM, with 2g to 3g changees can eat battery in the US especially.

Talk time is alos increasing irrelevent on smartphones. I would guess that 10 to 20% of power usage by many here is talking, users use multimedia, mp3 listening, video watching, web browsing, mail, GPS, wifi, bluetoooth etc.

Do we have reason to believe for example that bluetooth draw is different on the 800w vs Pro?

If there is one broadly held concensus, among professional reviwers, user reviews on places like CNET, and users here it is that: the 800w is considerably to severely underpower in battery capacity. The next model has a much much bigger battery. Its better processor may pull a bit more but if my tests from the Treo Pro GSM hold up it will give about 25% or more better battery life overall.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234