Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    For shame, dude, that's a red BlackBerry Curve
    A what -berry? Never heard of 'em. lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    is this all that bad?

Its bad. If entropism's numbers are correct then then there is only 43.65mb of free ram, and thats before the device is optimized by MemMaid or like program.

43.65mb

11.4mb Kionoma Play
    21.0 mb Style Tap with no apps running
    8.4 mb Garmin Moblie XT

Thats just 3 everyday apps and you are already out of memory. The device will slow to a crawl at that point and if a email comes in the device might just crash.

If the device was optimized by MemMaid for speed you would probably only have about 35mb free. Thats just pitiful.

Somebody really blew bad with this one.

Thank god the 800w has plenty of RAM and is plenty fast.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    A what -berry? Never heard of 'em. lol
    Shouldn't the 'Swearword Filter' catch that?
    At the very least it should have been B****B***y
    Just call me Berd.
    I rec'd this from a Sprint Business Rep today, didn't know if anyone had already posted it.
    http://www.wmexperts.com/sites/wmexp...o_data_sht.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I rec'd this from a Sprint Business Rep today, didn't know if anyone had already posted it.
    http://www.wmexperts.com/sites/wmexp...o_data_sht.pdf
    Thanks, that cleared up a lot of questions I had. I went through the manual last night, but this is more straight to the point.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    huh, interesting...

so in that data sheet, it DOES say "128mb" RAM--but that raises the question of why user available is soo low...

They also say "300mb" user accessible but it seems to be more around 360mb for storage.

Also, under GPS is says "GPS coverage not available in all areas at all times"--is that what "standalone" means or do they mean inside and underground or something?

• GPS for navigation, turn-by-turn directions, and local search (1)

(1) Within wireless coverage area only. Wi-Fi within range of 802.11b/g Wi-Fi network. Some Wi-Fi hotspots require fee for usage. Email, web, messaging, and GPS require an account and data services at additional cost. Voice prompted as-you-go navigation requires Sprint software, an account, and data services at additional cost. GPS coverage not available in all areas at all times.
    huh, interesting...

so in that data sheet, it DOES say "128mb" RAM--but that raises the question of why user available is soo low...

They also say "300mb" user accessible but it seems to be more around 360mb for storage.

I dont know nearly as much about the idiosyncrasies of Windows Mobile RAM numbers as you guys do but I would guess it has to do with bloat-ware loaded on top of the OS or perhaps hardware drivers? Could it be that new Java VM that is using a lot of RAM. Could it also be how the device is optimized? I know when I optimize my 800w for max speed using MemMaid I loose about 5-10mb of available ram. I have also noticed that for every Mort Script I have running that there is another instance of Mortscriot.exe running for each. Seems like a waste of memory to me.

I think that would make a good article for you to write explaining the in and outs of Windows Mobile RAM for those of us who dont quite have a total grasp on it.

Alls I know is that I feel much better about 128mb than I did about 96mb.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    rc46...all fine points and I'll see about that article, it's a good idea

Also, under GPS is says "GPS coverage not available in all areas at all times"--is that what "standalone" means or do they mean inside and underground or something?
    I think they are going to be careful in public material since they dont want to be caught defining it against the prior incorrect definitions.

You will note these disclaimers appear in htc touch pro which has standalone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Its bad. If entropism's numbers are correct then then there is only 43.65mb of free ram, and thats before the device is optimized by MemMaid or like program.

43.65mb

11.4mb Kionoma Play
    21.0 mb Style Tap with no apps running
    8.4 mb Garmin Moblie XT

Thats just 3 everyday apps and you are already out of memory. The device will slow to a crawl at that point and if a email comes in the device might just crash.

If the device was optimized by MemMaid for speed you would probably only have about 35mb free. Thats just pitiful.

Somebody really blew bad with this one.

Thank god the 800w has plenty of RAM and is plenty fast.
    Your numbers are WAY off. StyleTap doesn't use anywhere near that amount. It's 1.4MB on my Mogul.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Your numbers are WAY off. StyleTap doesn't use anywhere near that amount. It's 1.4MB on my Mogul.
    OK so it seems that it changes each time I load it but this time it was 18mb. Still a lot more than 1.4MB Think about it, it has to emulate a dragon-ball processor and load garnet on top of that. I may not be as smart as you are but I'm smart enough know that takes more than 1.4MB.

Last edited by rc46; 01/22/2009 at 06:45 PM.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Best phone I've ever owned. I'm fairly hyped about the Pro, but... I tried to load Manila 2D on it, and it disabled me dialing from the keyboard, so obviously it had to go. Tried SPB mobile Shell and I wasn't thrilled either. Hell, even RealVGA at 96DPI gave me a nice blank spot on my home screen. Meh, we'll see what happens when some ROMs are cooked eventually. I'm still saving my paid upgrade for the Pre.
    entropism: can you confirm what is the "Free" Program Memory after a soft reset (no apps loaded)?

I'm still trying to get that number...

I know it has 80mb Available, but I need that bottom one.

Edit: NVM, It should be 43mb, correct?

WIth all this talk about RAM and stuff........ I admittedly don't know a lot.... my unlocked TP shows 101.18MB Total , 32.53MB in use and 68.65MB Free. Is that within the specs of normal?? I dont see 128MB anywhere. Am I looking in the right spot?

I have Opera and EGP Pocket on it for programs. I ditched Kinoma.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    WIth all this talk about RAM and stuff........ I admittedly don't know a lot.... my unlocked TP shows 101.18MB Total , 32.53MB in use and 68.65MB Free. Is that within the specs of normal?? I dont see 128MB anywhere. Am I looking in the right spot?

I have Opera and EGP Pocket on it for programs. I ditched Kinoma.
    It's weird and complicated...trust me.

It won't actually say 128mb anywhere. Some of that goes to the OS, radio, etc.

Your numbers: is that Program or Storage memory?

It is under Settings>System>Memory>Main>Program

My storage is 105.55MB Total / 94.71 MB in use / 10.84MB free .... I guess it is time for a bigger card. LOL.
    Well, then it says the following under storage card:

3878.50 MB total
    2736.12MB in use
    1142.38 MB free

So what is storage under Main?
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    Well, then it says the following under storage card:

3878.50 MB total
    2736.12MB in use
    1142.38 MB free

So what is storage under Main?
    Storage under Main = Internal memory for programs (ROM)
    Storage under Card = Storage card
    Program memory Main = RAM

The first two are not important. The 3rd, for our purposes is as it appears (word of caution) that the Sprint Treo Pro only has 80mb Total/43mb Free.

That's 27mb less than the Treo 800w, which is....odd. Once you add programs to it (SPB Mobile Shell, PDANet, MortScript, MemMaid) you'll have dropped about 10mb at least. So you might only have ~30mb of free RAM for actually running apps.

If true, it may (stressed, may) cause a bottleneck on the device. But that's why we test things ;-)

I would find that odd if true. Why would they make it have less? Bloatware? That much? I am thinking I am happy to have the unlocked version if that is true. I have almost as much free after programs as the Sprint one does total if that is true?? That would make things interesting...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast