Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Given that Deiter already posted wrong information about the RAM specs, my GPS info is more reliable. Trust me, there will be more testing done.
    Perhaps you didn't read the part where we cast doubt on those specs:

Now, before you panic, this isn't the first time we've seen a different numbers for the Pro. In a previous WM article by Malatesta, we see the Treo Pro reported with "128MB program memory (DDR) and 256 non-volatile memory (175MB of user store)". In a TreoCentral forum post by Elistone, we see not one but two different sets of numbers reported: "512MB program memory (DDR) 256 non-volatile memory (300MB of user storage)" and "128MB program memory (DDR) and 256 non-volatile memory (175MB of user store)." So now we have a third set of memory numbers offered up that's completely different.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Given that Deiter already posted wrong information about the RAM specs, my GPS info is more reliable. Trust me, there will be more testing done.
    There's 3 conflicting numbers for RAM/ROM on the Sprint Treo Pro. Two came from the same internal Sprint email, the third came from Sprint slides.
    • 128mb/256mb
    • 512mb/256mb
    • 32mb/512mb

Dieter merely pointed that out, not claimed any was right. And your "reliable" GPS info is from one anonymous poster at HoFo who works for Sprint

Skepticism IS called for, even though I'm willing to bet it does have standalone.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm willing to bet it does have standalone.
    So am I. I don't see HTC putting defective hardware in the Sprint Treo Pro and not the unlocked GSM version.
    I looked through the TP user manual that was up on Sprint's website before they took it down, but there was no mention of the memory in the specifications, only the 528Mhz processor and 1500mA battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    I looked through the TP user manual that was up on Sprint's website before they took it down, but there was no mention of the memory in the specifications, only the 528Mhz processor and 1500mA battery.
    There was a screen shot of "Memory" on page 363.

If accurate (and I believe it is) we are looking at a 96mb/512mb device. Meaning the Treo Pro will have ~30mb less RAM than the 800w.

Looking at the memory screen of my pro, it says:

Storage:
    Total - 340.36
    In use - 31.26

Program:
    Total - 80.54
    In use - 36.89

this doesn't look promising =/
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post

Storage:
    Total - 340.36
    In use - 31.26

Program:
    Total - 80.54
    In use - 36.89

Nope, although 80mb is better than 70mb, lol.

How much is listed under "Free"? And I assume you have little to no programs running i.e. it's after a soft reset?

thanks!

There was a screen shot of "Memory" on page 363.

If accurate (and I believe it is) we are looking at a 96mb/512mb device. Meaning the Treo Pro will have ~30mb less RAM than the 800w.
    According to a rep I talked to today:

8:26:10 AM Jeremy W
    128 MB of RAM; 256 MB of Flash ROM (100 MB user available)
    Could just be incorrect info....but....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    According to a rep I talked to today:

Could just be incorrect info....but....
    I have the feeling NO ONE knows. I'm 98% sure storage is 512mb, as we have 2 confirmations (manual and entropism) who show ~360mb.

The RAM is quirky as these numbers are less than the GSM Pro, which has 101mb of free RAM after a soft reset. So the Sprint version is somewhere between 24-30mb less than that, which is exactly the difference between 128mb and 96mb.

Storage:
    Total - 340.36
    In use - 31.26

Program:
    Total - 80.54
    In use - 36.89

is this a sprint treo pro?

post a scren shot please.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post

(yeah, entropism has access to the Sprint store "advocate" device--he mentioned it a few days ago here and has been providing info--so those numbers are from the Sprint Treo Pro. Screen shots would be nice though )

It just doesnt make any sense why they would do that. Didn't Microsoft say that in order for a device to run PIE 6 it needed a faster processor and more RAM?

Maybe sprint thought they said less RAM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Faster processor, yes.

More RAM? Don't think so.

The pics suck, but I was going for proof, not beauty.
    hehe...good enough for me, not that I had doubts

Touch Diamond camera?

In my downtown area all four stores had an advocate device for a few days already. You can ask politely and they will let you play with it.

They also have advocate material which goes into a few details people have been specifically curious about.

Storage:
    Total - 340.36
    In use - 31.26

Program:
    Total - 80.54
    In use - 36.89

is this all that bad? i know it is not what we would see in 2009 devices, but compared to other devices like the 700wx it more. the 700wx gave me no problems.

i also thought that i read somewhere that more program memory didn't make the phone faster really. in fact, the more memory sometimes made it slower. is there any truth to this?

and wouldn't this lack program memory just mean we can't have 20 apps running at the same time and might need to cut it down to 15 apps at a time? how many freaking app does a person need running at a time anyhow?
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro

The pics suck, but I was going for proof, not beauty.
    Thanks

Could you do one more pic - a closeup on the kb.
    The various pics I've seen so far seem to give the appearance that the key edges are a little more rounded over than the Gsm Unlocked Pro.

Here's why I ask:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=173117
    Thanks Again.
    Just call me Berd.
    is this all that bad? i know it is not what we would see in 2009 devices, but compared to other devices like the 700wx it more. the 700wx gave me no problems.

i also thought that i read somewhere that more program memory didn't make the phone faster really. in fact, the more memory sometimes made it slower. is there any truth to this?

and wouldn't this lack program memory just mean we can't have 20 apps running at the same time and might need to cut it down to 15 apps at a time? how many freaking app does a person need running at a time anyhow?
    It's too early to say whether it's bad, good or irrelevant. One report said it was sluggish and crashed when Bejeweled and ActiveSync were running. Could be a fluke though.

It doesn't make a phone faster, per se. It just allows it room to run at full speed.

re: the "20 apps" open, it's more than that--PIE 6 requires more CPU and RAM to run and apps like Kinoma Play, Skyfire, Opera Mobile, etc. use a good chunk of RAM.

Now throw in A2DP, some video (Slingbox), etc. and your device will bottleneck quite soon, in theory, with just 6 to 8 apps.

Wm6.1 does manage the memory pretty well though (meaning it'll shut your apps). But still...point is, there is no excuse here. No one was begging for more Storage memory (hello, 16gb microSD?) but RAM is always pretty critical. Up to a limit, the more the better. While I doubt it'll "ruin" the device, it's just a shame really. We shouldn't have to rationalize and compromise in 2009 on multi-taskign.

20.    #40  
    hehe...good enough for me, not that I had doubts

Touch Diamond camera?
    For shame, dude, that's a red BlackBerry Curve
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast