1.    #1  
    My latest issues with this hunk o' crap is that yesterday the ringer switch broke and now the phone is stuck in silent mode. I am just curious whether this is a common failure on this model?
    I've never heard of it, but it's bound to be covered under the 1-year warranty. I would take it to a repair center and have it replaced.
  3.    #3  
    Yup - that was my plan. Thanks.
    How'd ya break it?

You sure the switch is physically broke? I have locked up WM on occasional and toggling it doesn't seem to have an effect, a soft reset fixes it.
  5.    #5  
    No, it is definitely broken. The switch slides from side to side without any effort now, no "clicking". It is like the slider is no longer connected to anything. I just went to turn the ringer back on after a meeting yesterday and it crapped out.
    My ringer switch broke, but it was stuck in the other position (could no longer mute the ringer). Sprint replaced it with another 800w.
    Curious. I use my ringer switch all the time, and have dropped my phone on it once (oops ). No problems yet....*knock on fake wood*
    Mechanical/moving parts are always the first to go on electronics: sliders, switches, buttons keyboards and plugs (USB). I'm actually surprised the ringer swich doesn't break more often.

That's one benefit of Shiny Black Slab Devices--nothing moves ;-)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9.    #9  
    I took my Treo to the Sprint repair place today. They said if I wanted it fixed under the manufacturer's 1 year warranty then I would have to send the phone out to Palm and it would take 6-8 weeks. They said if I wanted it fixed by Sprint they could get me another in 3-5 days, bit would cost me $55.

What is the point in having a manufacturer's warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    I took my Treo to the Sprint repair place today. They said if I wanted it fixed under the manufacturer's 1 year warranty then I would have to send the phone out to Palm and it would take 6-8 weeks. They said if I wanted it fixed by Sprint they could get me another in 3-5 days, bit would cost me $55.

What is the point in having a manufacturer's warranty?
    Try Sprint e-care, by sending Sprint an e-mail from your account page on SprintPCS.com and see if they can do something better for you.

If you complain long enough and REFUSE to allow Sprint to close your support ticket, you might at least get a free replacement (likely a refab). Getting a replacement from Sprint is not very hard, but sometimes takes a few stabs till you get someone willing to do it. Try e-care and if that does not work, phone support, but keep pressing, they'll give in.
    Sprint is not your manufacturer, nor do they warranty the phone.

Why would you expect them to service it for free when your warranty goes through Palm?

Call up Palm, and they'll put a hold on some cash on a credit card ($500 I think). They'll send out out a new phone, and as long as you send back your old one they won't charge you.

But if you want it fixed today, pay Sprint.
    Palm.com Treo 800w Support, Repair Service. (emphasis added, click the "repair service" link for the details mentioned below)
    1 Warranty

This product is covered under a limited warranty for 1 year. Eligible in-warranty repairs are offered at no charge for one year from the date of original purchase. You may be responsible for shipping charges.

The warranty does not cover damage resulting from certain events or conditions. Please review your warranty for more information.

2 Troubleshoot

If your device is under warranty, review our solutions and decide if you want to submit it for repair.

3 Repair

In warranty repair

Repairs for Sprint-branded smartphones are handled by Sprint. Please contact Sprint to arrange for in-warranty service.

*2 from Sprint phone
    (888) 211-4727
    Socomon, Palm's own site notes that Sprint is Palm's service agent for in warranty repairs of the 800w. In warranty repair being repairs that are done without charge to you. Take this information to Sprint and tell them to repair or replace the device for you. Well probably best if you do this all via Sprint e-care, so they can mark your account as having discussed it with them and things will likely go easier for you next time you enter a Sprint service center.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks - I will follow up on these. I have never needed to hae a Treo repaired before, so I haven't has the pleasure of going through this process.
    Last month, my charging port failed and I took it to the Sprint store. The rep said matter of factly that all I needed to do was to take it to the authorized repair center and they would fix or replace it free of charge because it has a year warranty on it. I had my replacement free of charge the next day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Sprint is not your manufacturer, nor do they warranty the phone.
    What?!? According to Palms printed material Sprint is the warranty agent.

It appears several switches have broken, that points to a maker problem not abuse/
    If you call palm customer support the automated system asks you to press 1 for att, 2 for sprint, if you press a key according to your carrier, they tell you to call your carrier, and then they hang up.

In otherwords; talk to your carrier, the people you bought the phone from.
    You have to go through Palm....I went through this BS a month ago. You have the following options:

1. They put a $400 hold on your credit card and next day you a refurbed unit, along with a return package. You have 15 days to return it and they release the hold. This costs $25 I think.

2. They send you a return package, you return your old phone, and they send you a refurb in 5-10 business days.

I chose option #1 and had a working phone in 48 hours. Good luck with your phone call to Palm though, and have your phones serial number handy. There was a major communication problem, but they didn't try to argue with me.
    For replacement Treos I've never had to deal with anyone but Sprint. Even before I gave up on the 800w for good, Sprint was more than willing to give me a free replacement. I just didn't want to see if the 3rd time might be a charm, I'd had enough.

But Wildrage certainly did get a messy run around when needing a replacement.

Both Palm and Sprint are capable of providing a replacement, but when you can get it through Sprint it usually does not involve as many hassles. Since you can just pick up the replacement at the Sprint store when it arrives and swap in person. And they'll take care of swapping your account information on the spot.