Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One of the cool things about the GSM Pro is that it has Esmertec Jbed built right into it. And the Treo Pro has Titan on it.

Well, now your 800w can too!

Sprint has published their Titan, which is java platform commonly found on HTC devices. It was first seen on the Mogul. Sprint describes Titan as:

In addition to supporting existing MIDP Java ME applications, it includes the more capable CDC/Foundation Java Virtual Machine and OSGi framework. This combination provides a powerful and fully manageable platform for dynamic distribution and collaboration of independent software components and applications. Support for the Eclipse embedded Rich Client (eRCP) application model means this platform can run generically written rich GUI applications that can run across a broad range of devices and desktop computers. The platform also includes APIs to give you access to Sprint specific phone features. The Titan™ tools, which install into the Eclipse IDE, provide best of the breed development and source level debug capabilities for the platform. 3rd party tools are available providing advanced visual development and profiling functionality.

What does this mean? Simply put that most java based applications will work.

I've tested this with Opera Mini, and found it works better and faster than other Java environments that I've tried.

This should work with any Sprint device, but it is designed specifically for HTC devices.

To use Titan:
    • Download: http://developer.sprint.com/getDocument.do?docId=98650
      Note: It would be useful if someone wanted to mirror this .CAB so that if Sprint removed it we have an alternate link.
    • Install Titan by running the .CAB.
      Note: I got an error that this was usable only on Sprint Devices on my 800w. I allowed it to connect to the internet, and tried installing it a second time, and it installed without issue.
    • To use any Java based programs you can import them directly into Titan by visiting the site. When you download the JAR file, Titan will detect this and take over downloading for you. This has only been tested in PIE.

Applications that work in Titan:

Release notes:
    (Found by samadam)
    3.1 Supported Windows Mobile Professional Devices
    • Palm® Treo™ 800w

7.1.2 Device Specific
    • On the Palm 800w, if your application uses the com.sprintpcs.media.Vibrator.vibrate() method,
    the device will only vibrate for 1 second.
    • On Palm 800w, you cannot exit an eSWT/eRCP application during a phone call.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 01/29/2009 at 05:41 PM.
    Very cool! As soon as this bourbon wears off I'm so trying...lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Nice! Going to test right now...
    unsurprisingly, looks like it's built into the Sprint Treo Pro from the get go

http://www.wmexperts.com/more-sprint-treo-pro-details
    What are the advantages over Esmertec Jbed? I havnt had any issues with that.
    Last edited by NAOrion; 01/20/2009 at 09:10 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    unsurprisingly, looks like it's built into the Sprint Treo Pro from the get go

http://www.wmexperts.com/more-sprint-treo-pro-details
    That's how I tracked down Titan, as it's referenced in one of the slides.

Just more evidence that the Pro is a HTC phone with the Palm logo and form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    What are the advantages over Esmertec Jbed? I havnt had any issues with that.
    I've tried a couple versions of Jbed. Two crashed on me randomly. The third (Cloudfly's I think) would continue to use memory until it maxed it out (and would do so relatively quickly), reducing my 800w to a crawl.

None of the three were as snappy in use as Titan (Opera Mini takes forever to load regardless, it might even take longer to load on Titan, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make).
    odd, in esmertec's Opera Mini loads in less than 2 seconds, and renders web pages just as fast. It also never crashes.
    I tried it, but couldn't get it into full screen mode so the top and bottom were mostly cut off. Plus it took forEVER to open it. Once opened it was fast, but difficult to navigate because the bottom option items were mostly blocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I've tried a couple versions of Jbed. Two crashed on me randomly. The third (Cloudfly's I think) would continue to use memory until it maxed it out (and would do so relatively quickly), reducing my 800w to a crawl.
    Interesting. I just noticed that my storage memory on my phone is maxed out and a warning actually just came up saying that my memory is critically low. I was just in the process of troubleshooting when I came upon this randomly. I bet Jbed is the culprit. Is the best thing to do uninstall it? How do I remove all the remnants of it so it does not suck up all of my storage memory?

On a side note, personally, I have had no issue with load time of opera mini and the only real time I have noticed it crashing is when trying to navigate around on facebook. I think that might have something to do with facebooks new structure but I am unsure. Ultimately, I think I am willing to try out Titan.
    I too could not get Opera Mini into full screen. The default font was terrible too.
    Does this JVM allow you to set apps to never ask for permission to connect? If not, count me out.
    Does anyone have the Sprint Music Store jar?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    Does this JVM allow you to set apps to never ask for permission to connect? If not, count me out.
    When running Opera Mini I had about half a dozen options for various connection options.

I choose to always let it connect, and never ask again.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Does anyone have the Sprint Music Store jar?
    Try here?

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/arc.../t-121294.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    I too could not get Opera Mini into full screen. The default font was terrible too.
    Yeah. Can someone do their magic and hide top and bottom bars.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Does direct text entry work w/ Opera Mini. Aside from that not working, I have no problems with my version of Esmertec Jbed.
    anyone been able to get the Sprint Nascar app.?
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by akenis View Post
    Does direct text entry work w/ Opera Mini. Aside from that not working, I have no problems with my version of Esmertec Jbed.
    Can u scrol in opera mini using number buttons with ur java jbed version? if yes can u please post link because i miss scrolling part as my Esmertec jbed 3.1 version skip all the way to bottom. thx.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    What about the licensing issues?

The above quoted link is noted on this page as being specific for HTC devices which have an unlimited use license to run Titan. The license is only for HTC devices, no other devices are granted the unlimited use license based on anything mentioned there.

If anyone with an 800w sends their device in for service and Sprint sees it running Titan, they may not take it kindly.

Has Sprint affirmed that Palm 800w owners can utilize the HTC unlimited use license for Titan?
    I knew there was a reason I can't sleep tonight! lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Has Sprint affirmed that Palm 800w owners can utilize the HTC unlimited use license for Titan?
    The page is somewhat ambiguous.

Download the Sprint Titan™ runtime and debugging tools components for your Windows Mobile 6.0 or later based PDA.

Sprint Titan™ Runtimes
    Unlimited use license: Windows Mobile 6 and later Sprint PDAs from HTC (Touch, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Mogul)
    90-day evaluation: All other non-Sprint WM 6 and later PDAs
    90-day evaluation: WM 6 and later non-Sprint Smartphones
    It does not address non-HTC Sprint PDA's. And since the Treo Pro has Titan on it, but is Palm branded (and thus not "from HTC"), there's obviously no licensing issues there...

Additionally the installer will check to make sure you have a Sprint branded phone. I have not created an installer that bypasses the checks Sprint runs when the installer kicks off (though I could...).

And there are checks. It hits a webpage, and if it fails to connect it'll tell you that it can't install.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast