Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    What about the licensing issues?

Has Sprint affirmed that Palm 800w owners can utilize the HTC unlimited use license for Titan?
    +1
    I guess it isn't much of a point, unless, as you correctly observe, some people here derailed threads by going around and made comments in the past denigrating other's ethics on similar counts.
    Perhaps HTC's license is being extended by Sprint to the Treo Pro. But regardless of whatever is occurring in back rooms, we know the Sprint Treo Pro has license for Titan (unless something changes prior to official launch with Sprint), but never has there been affirmation that the Treo 800w is licensed for it. No matter what the installer does or does not do, Sprint's Titan page offers no wiggle room. Nothing about the 800w and only mention of unlimited license for Sprint HTC devices.

For example, if something says, "for Sprint employees", the fact nothing is said directly about non-Sprint employees does not grant non-Sprint employees standing to use it. The Sprint Titan page says the unlimited use license is for Sprint HTC devices. The link posted in the initial comment is specifically stated to be an unlimited use license for Sprint HTC devices. Which means, Sprint HTC device owners paid for that in the cost of the device purchase. HTC has unlimited license with Sprint, something they've secured with Sprint and we have no evidence anyone else has done that. Perhaps HTC's deal allows them to extend the license to all Sprint branded devices they are the ODM for, but we have nothing to show Palm or even HTC paid for the license to be used on the Treo 800w. (We know HTC was not the ODM for the Treo 800w. No new device that Inventec was the ODM for has Titan, such as the newest Palm Centro.)

The Palm Treo Pro has not yet been officially released, so the only Sprint branded devices on the open market with Titan's unlimited use license are only Sprint HTC devices as the web page mentions. And even after the Sprint Treo Pro's release, only devices that HTC was the ODM for will have unlimited license for Titan, unless something changes before the Sprint Treo Pro's release.
  3.    #23  
    so the only Sprint branded devices on the open market with Titan's unlimited use license are only Sprint HTC devices as the web page mentions.
    And if you check the actual installer, the only mention is that it is a Sprint device. There is no mention/check for an HTC device, which as we already know Sprint can easily do.

And even after the Sprint Treo Pro's release, only devices that HTC was the ODM for will have unlimited license for Titan, unless something changes before the Sprint Treo Pro's release.
    And as you've reminded us multiple times in the past, it doesn't matter that HTC is the ODM. It's still Palm's device and Palm's responsibility.

If HTC is to carry none of the responsibility for the device as far as ROM, design, hardware, etc goes, and all the blame (or praise) falls squarely on Palm's shoulders, then the same holds true here.

Regardless, I leave the ethics of it up to the individual user. I don't use it myself (Opera Mini is cool, but the delay in opening irritates me too much, and I haven't found any other java programs I can't live without).

If you feel uncomfortable using the full version, then move your mouse down about 10 pixels and click one of the two 90 day evaluations, and then purchase it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    And if you check the actual installer, the only mention is that it is a Sprint device. There is no mention/check for an HTC device, which as we already know Sprint can easily do.
    If the measure is what the installer does rather than the stated use on the maker's web site, there are tons of software I could load up. Sprint publicly announced the license is for HTC Sprint devices. It is the statement on the very link you posted. So there is no doubt who Sprint licensed it to.

And as you've reminded us multiple times in the past, it doesn't matter that HTC is the ODM. It's still Palm's device and Palm's responsibility.

If HTC is to carry none of the responsibility for the device as far as ROM, design, hardware, etc goes, and all the blame (or praise) falls squarely on Palm's shoulders, then the same holds true here.
    Whatever my opinion is of a device, that does not hold any power over Sprint's own statement that Titan is for the devices they've publicly stated it is licensed for. No where do they grant unlimited license to the 800w.

Regardless, I leave the ethics of it up to the individual user. I don't use it myself (Opera Mini is cool, but the delay in opening irritates me too much, and I haven't found any other java programs I can't live without).

Since you didn't mention the link you provided is specifically stated to be licensed for HTC device owners I figured I'd tell them and each can make up their own mind from there. Individuals can't make the ethics call for themselves if they don't know the whole scoop. From looking at the initial comment, who would have known it was only an unlimited use license for Sprint HTC devices and who would have known about the 60 day limited license versions? I again repeat that anyone taking their device into Sprint for service might want to consider not having Titan on it. Regardless of what anyone's ethical viewpoint on the topic may be. I don't want folks getting caught up into any hassles because they didn't know the full details.

If you feel uncomfortable using the full version, then move your mouse down about 10 pixels and click one of the two 90 day evaluations, and then purchase it.
    I can use the full version, because I am a legal owner of a Sprint HTC device. The Touch Pro. I paid for the Titan license in my purchase of the device and HTC has an unlimited use license agreement for Titan with Sprint. We've seen zero evidence that Treo 800w owner have any such deal.
    Focus people, Daytona 500 coming up in a few weeks. Any Idea how to get the Sprint Nascar app downloaded into the Java app?

Just trying to break the tension.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
  6.    #26  
    Just need to find the .jad/.jar file, and you can do it.

Do you know a phone that has it built in already?
    Just need to find the .jad/.jar file, and you can do it.

Do you know a phone that has it built in already?
    Doesn't come loaded, you have to go to sprint.com/nascar or text nascar to 7777

When I try to download it I get message saying thankyou but your phone doesn't suport the application.

It works on dumb phones such as moto razor.

I don't know why Sprint won't just post the app.?
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
  8.    #28  
    Even if you can find the jar/jad files, it may not work.

I would try Googling for it. Surely someone, somewhere has posted them.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    ebag333
    Thanks for the post. I was able to install the TITAN JAVA platform and the OPERA MINI tooo. Sweet.

For the first time I opened Opera mini, it failed when I choose no to midp_net java program.

After I choose yes the browser started working just fine.
    Even if you can find the jar/jad files, it may not work.

I would try Googling for it. Surely someone, somewhere has posted them.
    I found some files on sprint users and downloaded them.
    I am unsure where to put them o the phone, I just put them I my doc folder. when I click them it will not install, get error 906 bad descripter.

Thanks for helping the computer illiterate.
  11.    #31  
    Some java files don't play well with some JRE's. I've ran into the same problem with the other JRE's I've tried.

If you downloaded both the JAD and the JAR make sure they are in the same folder. Then try selecting the JAD and the JAR, one at a time. Sometimes one will install while the other just errors.
    Has anyone in this debate checked the release notes for version 1.0?

3.1 Supported Windows Mobile Professional Devices
    • PalmŪ Treo™ 800w
    • Touch Diamond™ by HTC
    • HTC Touch PRO™
    • HTC Touch
    • Mogul™ by HTC
    3.2 Supported Windows Mobile Standard Devices
    • Samsung ACE™
    • MOTO Q™ 9c by Motorola

3.3 Other Windows Mobile Device
    Sprint Titan 1.0 may run on any other Windows Mobile 6.x devices. Sprint provides evaluation copies of
    Sprint Titan for devices that are operated outside the Sprint CDMA network.
    7.1.2 Device Specific
    • Mogul™ by HTC does not handles device management operations through OMA-DM, due to the
    constraint memory of the device
    • On HTC devices, using the task list shown in the Today screen to kill a CDC application will kill all
    CDC applications.
    • The "sprint.device.setting.dataroamguard" property from getSystemState() method is only
    available on HTC devices.
    • On the Palm 800w, if your application uses the com.sprintpcs.media.Vibrator.vibrate() method,
    the device will only vibrate for 1 second.
    • Motorola Q9c does not support Bluetooth events from the Sprint Extension events.
    • On Samsung i325, SMS Push is not supported.
    • On Palm 800w, you cannot exit an eSWT/eRCP application during a phone call.
    So obviously this is meant to be used on the 800w at some point. I would doubt that Sprint will take too harshly to its use on the Treo.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
  13.    #33  
    Nice find!

Obviously Sprint did some serious testing with it on the 800w as well, so there goes the theory that they aren't supporting it at all....

(Added that info to the first post.)
    so this version of java is confirmed to work on the treo 800w and it will not be a trial version ?
  15.    #35  
    Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    I tried it, but couldn't get it into full screen mode so the top and bottom were mostly cut off. Plus it took forEVER to open it. Once opened it was fast, but difficult to navigate because the bottom option items were mostly blocked.
    Anyone found out how to hide the top and bottom bars?
    i got a sms from sprint telling me it is available and the link to download it!
    Scott K
    PalmPilot -> PalmPilotPro ->
    HandspringNeo w/ Sprint PCS Wireless Digital Link ->
    Treo 755p Blue -> Treo 800w

bmwr606@yahoo.com
    Hello everyone,
    New to Treocentral. First off, thank you Ebagg. I've seen your name around in xda and ppcgeeks. I thank you for the great contributions I find everything I change my winmo phone.

If there is any doubt as to whether Sprint Titan Java is meant for the 800w please check this link on the sprint website:
    nextel.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/palm_treo_800.shtml

Here is a link to the sprint titan cab directly:

www6.sprint.com/downloads/treo/executables/TitanPro1%5B1%5D.0_Palm.CAB

It seems to have a newer build date than the cab found on sprint developers website.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Once I install this, what can I do with it? what apps can I use? etc etc etc
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12