Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    NSX, your claims are so silly, it's no wonder you can't say them with a straight face.

There's no Zbop for the Pro. No Hannip. No Mal. Go and compare the 800w's FAQ to a list of support and improvements for the Pro. Come back when the Pro has the same level of community support as the 800w.

It might get that level of support....eventually. But it ain't there now.
    Reminds me of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    It is a guarantee that shortly after the TP is released that there will be a ROM on xda-developers that will give more than the 105 MGs available on the stock ROM.
    That was dated September 17th So much for guarantees, lol.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    ROTFLMAO Enough support to fix the defective GPS? How about a single ROM update? Sorry, the 800w is EOL. Hard to imagine ANY support for it.
    I think you're the only one that is truly obsessed with the GPS. It works great for me. I don't plan to have to have it outside of coverage area. I honestly think that is the case for most. Would it be nice to be true stand alone, yes. But, I would venture to say it's not a problem for most.

If you are outside coverage area that much, you need a different carrier.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Earlier this morning the Treo Pro was on the sprint website, as of 12:16pm EST, its no longer on the website for my area 32801. maybe its not suppose to be released till monday?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I think you're the only one that is truly obsessed with the GPS. It works great for me. I don't plan to have to have it outside of coverage area. I honestly think that is the case for most. Would it be nice to be true stand alone, yes. But, I would venture to say it's not a problem for most.

If you are outside coverage area that much, you need a different carrier.

I agree... I can care less about the GPS not being standalone and it works just fine for me. If its that big a deal get a Garmin or a TomTom or Magellan. JohnH59 speaks for most of us...
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    I agree... I can care less about the GPS not being standalone and it works just fine for me. If its that big a deal get a Garmin or a TomTom or Magellan. JohnH59 speaks for most of us...
    On the pre poll about half the people care about whether this will be done, and on the advocate material for the Treo Pro Sprint makes a big deal about this unit finally having working standalone -so obviously Sprint thinks it is important

If half care that it is there presumably even more than half care if it were specifically advertised as being there and were not!

It is comments like "John speaks for most of us" that are belied by the facts and that are not needed.

Those of us concerned have noted from the beginning that this is something important to some and unimportant to some.

But it is as if your wifi did not work outside of Sprint range, and some of didn't care and you did, how you would feel if few individuals insisted it was a non issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    On the pre poll about half the people care about whether this will be done, and on the advocate material for the Treo Pro Sprint makes a big deal about this unit finally having working standalone -so obviously Sprint thinks it is important

If half care that it is there presumably even more than half care if it were specifically advertised as being there and were not!

It is comments like "John speaks for most of us" that are belied by the facts and that are not needed.

Those of us concerned have noted from the beginning that this is something important to some and unimportant to some.

But it is as if your wifi did not work outside of Sprint range, and some of didn't care and you did, how you would feel if few individuals insisted it was a non issue.
    I still say, IMO, that if it's that big of an issue, then you might think about changing carriers so you are in coverage more of the time. I can't imagine choosing a carrier in which I travel out of their service area a majority of the time.

The wifi thing is a bit of a stretch. Of course, I've followed these boards long enough to know that I'm wrong in my opinion.
    I still say, IMO, that if it's that big of an issue, then you might think about changing carriers so you are in coverage more of the time. I can't imagine choosing a carrier in which I travel out of their service area a majority of the time.

The wifi thing is a bit of a stretch. Of course, I've followed these boards long enough to know that I'm wrong in my opinion.
    John, seriously 90% of the features can be used off network. Wif i is at the core of the analogy because why even need it?

If you found a feature that inherently does not need to be on network or very specifically is advertised as not needing the network (that is what standalone GPS specifically means, no network) and it was part of your decision then it is a valid issue.

50% of people on the pre forum reported it was a serious issue for them are you saying those 50% should switch?

I have not said it shoudl be important to you, Palm thought it was an issue for some since they listed it as the #3 feature they choose to promote.
    John, seriously 90% of the features can be used off network. Wif i is at the core of the analogy because why even need it?

If you found a feature that inherently does not need to be on network or very specifically is advertised as not needing the network (that is what standalone GPS specifically means, no network) and it was part of your decision then it is a valid issue.

50% of people on the pre forum reported it was a serious issue for them are you saying those 50% should switch?

I have not said it shoudl be important to you, Palm thought it was an issue for some since they listed it as the #3 feature they choose to promote.
    But, like I said, if you're out of network coverage that much, wouldn't you look at a different carrier? It sounds to me that your carrier wouldn't be a match for you if you are out of coverage that much that it's a problem.

I understand what many may prefer. I'm just talking from a logical consumer view point that if I'm out of my carrier network a great deal of the time, I'm going to try to find a carrier that better fits my needs.
    But, like I said, if you're out of network coverage that much, wouldn't you look at a different carrier? It sounds to me that your carrier wouldn't be a match for you if you are out of coverage that much that it's a problem.

I understand what many may prefer. I'm just talking from a logical consumer view point that if I'm out of my carrier network a great deal of the time, I'm going to try to find a carrier that better fits my needs.
    John, it's great that you live in a Metropolitan area with great coverage. Many who don't or people who travel for business to those areas will disagree. If I am traveling I don't want to bring another GPS device with me if my phone can do it (especially if I'm not in my car). To say "Most don't care" is misleading. I am not bashing the 800 but it has let me down more than once during GPS and loss of Sprint coverage as well as others. If it was no big deal Palm would not be giving refunds out because of this issue.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    It might get that level of support....eventually. But it ain't there now.
    Um, Sprint hasn't even released it yet. LOL

Shhh. Your being too logical. Needing WiFi when off-network isn't even close to the same thing as needing GPS when off-network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Damn, nearly $617 after taxes. Damn you NY. Lucky I'll be returning ;-)

Think it'll be here by Friday? lol

LMAO!!! Holy Cow!!!! Its only money...
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    You'll get better battery life with the 800w + extended battery (even the non-hump one) than you will with the Pro.
    You can get an 3500mAh for the Pro.
    You can get an 3500mAh for the Pro.
    small correction: starting next week, you can get a 3500mah battery for the Pro: price and pictures not yet announced/available

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter

Not really, the logical consumer point of view is to look at the 20 or so features a $600 phone has, and probably 3 or 4 require the network, and the rest don't and one would not expect a network requirement to be tacked on where it wasn't needed.

On top of that Palm of course saw the value to the consumer in Standalone GPS and aGPS , as opposed just aGPS, as did reviewers and commentators on GPS vs Standalone GS on smartphones, and hawked it as standalone.

No one here has even asserted that standalone GPS (out of network GPS) on a smart phone doesn't have some value to the customer. For some it is negligible for some it is important.

Now there is agroup of people who purchase the phone in July and August who had no 30 day return recourse when Palm finally admitted the standalone was broken in mid September after multiple inquiries.

From the point of view of people who counted the Palm featured and Palm promoted existence of standalone on the 800w as a part of their purchase decision, to say they should consider another network is no different that if wifi was tied to the network, people saying: "what is your complaint, sounds like you are on the wrong network."

If the camera only worked on network would you except that explanation? It is even worse than wifi and the camera analogy since standalone specifically refers to total network Independence and only that..
    Not really, the logical consumer point of view is to look at the 20 or so features a $600 phone has, and probably 3 or 4 require the network, and the rest don't and one would not expect a network requirement to be tacked on where it wasn't needed.
    The logical consumer point of view is to look at a $600 phone as a phone first and foremost.

I don't know anyone who says "Hmm, this phone is on a network that only works for me 60% of the time, but it has these others features that work anywhere 100% of the time. Yeah, I'm gonna get it."
    The logical consumer point of view is to look at a $600 phone as a phone first and foremost.

I don't know anyone who says "Hmm, this phone is on a network that only works for me 60% of the time, but it has these others features that work anywhere 100% of the time. Yeah, I'm gonna get it."
    Palm and Sprint disagree with you and for good reason.

That is why people consider comments such as that, when 100% of the people here know Palm advertised a feature and left it off, as trolling. You seem to continually miss the point that PALM considered it a feature and flogged ia such.

The latest Sprint employee selling points for the Pro point o the GPS being usable off network as a feature -- that is from Sprint itself. Sprint knows it adds value and claims it adds value, Palm knows its adds value. Everyone here but you thinks it adds value

A dumb phone costs free to $50. The other $550 of the device are feathers that are not the phone.

Ebagg you apparently think it would be ok, by that exact logic, if the wifi and camera were tied to the network-- and that is one point of view.

What you keep claiming is that a value to customers fogged actively by Sprint and Palm as a value to customer -- is not a value to customers. Malatesta thinks it is a value n his aGPS vs GPS article. Sprint claims it is a value in their printed selling points that sets it above other devices, Palm does, yet a customer saying it adds value is wrong?

Old and castaway Sprint attitude: the customer is always wrong
    Last edited by aero; 01/22/2009 at 08:43 PM.
    If you found that Sprint said this of the Pro:
    "The Treo Pro supports assisted GPS and is also capable of Autonomous GPS. This means the Treo Pro is capable of acquiring a GPS signal even when you are not on the Sprint network."
    Would you claim the logical consumer attributes no value to to this function. Why is Sprint empathizing it on the pro as a key sales talking point?

Hmm?

BTW that bold of "not" on network is SPRINT's bold!

There's my point. It's a phone first. If my phone doesn't work 40% of the time because I'm off network, I'm finding another carrier.

Now, for those that bought the 800W before it was realized the GPS statement was not correct, then I agree they have a complaint. But, I'm still not going to stay with a carrier if I can't conduct business 40% of the time because I don't have signal.
    and flogged ia such.

The latest Sprint employee selling points for the Pro point o the GPS being usable off network as a feature -- that is from Sprint itself. Sprint knows it adds value and claims it adds value, Palm knows its adds value. Everyone here but you thinks it adds value

is that a value to customers fogged actively by Sprint and Palm as a value to customer -- is not a value to customers
    Why is Sprint empathizing it on the pro as a key sales talking point?

Flogging? Fogging? Empathizing?

Sorry guys, your emotions are getting in the way of your typing/spelling, and whether you have any argument or not is negated by the hilarity of what's left.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast