Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    In the specifications in the User Guide, it says:

Processor
    technology
     Dual-core MSM7501A processor—528MHz

Also, apparently the earlier reference to 32mb RAM is to a PC's memory availability in order to do desktop sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayKode View Post
    i noticed soon as the Pro went up, the 800w dropped in price. its now at $199 with a 2yr contract to get the 800w.
    Nah, Sprint.com and stores have had it at $199 for a few weeks already. In fact, I was just in a Sprint store today (5th Ave store) and they had the 800w still on full display at $199.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Look at the manual, p 363 (.pdf)

Total: 70.97mb
    In Use: 49.61mb
    Free: 22.36mb

That's 29mb less Total RAM than the 800w. Gah, 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Now, that 49mb/22.36mb is relative because perhaps they have some apps running, but either way, that 30mb less RAM is gonna matter BIG time when running some serious apps (Kinoma Play, Opera Mobile, A2DP, etc...).

Lets hope that's wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/26/2009 at 01:20 PM.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Look at the manual, p 363 (.pdf)

Total: 70.97mb
    In Use: 49.61mb
    Free: 22.36mb

That's 29mb less Total RAM than the 800w. Gah, 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Now, that 49mb/22.36mb is relative because perhaps they have some apps running, but either way, that 30mb less RAM is gonna matter BIG time when running some serious apps (Kinoma Play, Opera Mobile, A2DP, etc...).

Lets hope that's wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.

But that's just a screen shot, right? Not a statement of actual specifications. hard to believe Sprint would improve the processor, but take away memory. Probably won't know the actual memory specs until the CDMA version is posted on the Palm site.
    The 800w and Pro should handle 32 GB no problem.

Post 32 GB is a problem due to limitations in FAT. It can be handled on the software/driver side, but becomes inefficient very quickly. Likely new drivers will be needed to support 32+.
    Quote Originally Posted by elh1188 View Post
    But that's just a screen shot, right? Not a statement of actual specifications. hard to believe Sprint would improve the processor, but take away memory. Probably won't know the actual memory specs until the CDMA version is posted on the Palm site.
    nah, it appears to be a 128mb/512mb device--those screen shots have always been accurate. So it's 128mb of RAM minus 58mb for running WM6.1, which means it has the same RAM as the GSM Pro and the 800w.

Difference here is on the 800w (128mb RAM too), the OS is stripped down and so requires less RAM to run--that's why WM Treos always had more available RAM compared to other phones. HTC has been doubling their RAM to 256mb or higher to make up for that and to leave room to run TF3D--since there is no TF3d, they don't "need" the extra RAM

They did double the internal memory though, but damn...running with that little RAM is going to be frustrating for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by elh1188 View Post
    In the specifications in the User Guide, it says:
    Processor
    technology
     Dual-core MSM7501A processor—528MHz
    Yeah, that's Qualcomm's/HTC standard crap processor (ARM9/ARM11): one for the phone radio, the other for the OS. Sounds good in principle but in reality it doesn't do much to save battery, optimize media or even speed. The "01" just means it doesn't violate Brodcomm's patents and the "a" means it's a 63nm chipset.

That's probably the reason why the Pro isn't as snappy, despite the much faster processor.
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    I haven't bought either Treo yet.
    I originally looked at the 800w vs Pro thread, and basically decided to in with the 800w, because I liked the look better, and it seemed the better processor didn't do much more.
    Any reason to change my plans now - seems like an even better processor, but less memory, and I'm assuming the software is about the same.
    What do the tech people here think?
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    nah, it appears to be a 128mb/512mb device--those screen shots have always been accurate. So it's 128mb of RAM minus 58mb for running WM6.1, which means it has the same RAM as the GSM Pro and the 800w.

Difference here is on the 800w (128mb RAM too), the OS is stripped down and so requires less RAM to run--that's why WM Treos always had more available RAM compared to other phones. HTC has been doubling their RAM to 256mb or higher to make up for that and to leave room to run TF3D--since there is no TF3d, they don't "need" the extra RAM
    Does that in anyway relate to this? :
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=171011
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacl View Post
    I haven't bought either Treo yet.
    I originally looked at the 800w vs Pro thread, and basically decided to in with the 800w, because I liked the look better, and it seemed the better processor didn't do much more.
    Any reason to change my plans now - seems like an even better processor, but less memory, and I'm assuming the software is about the same.
    What do the tech people here think?
    Thanks!
    Well, the 800w is cheaper. Only $50 cheaper at the moment, but that price might go down.

The GSM Pro isn't as snappy as the 800w. Early rumors suggest that the same holds true for the CDMA Pro.

You'll get better battery life with the 800w + extended battery (even the non-hump one) than you will with the Pro. Price works out to be roughly the same (currently).

800w apparently has more memory, meaning you can run more programs.

Other than that, it all comes down to personal preference. Soft touch or high gloss paint? Centro keyboard or more traditional Treo one? Recessed or flat screen?

Try 'em both and see which one you like more. If they're about the same, then go with the less expensive one and use the money you save on something else, like extra goodies.

(One other thing you might want to consider is support. The 800w has a significant amount of support behind it. The Pro...not so much. That might change now that it's CDMA and on Sprint. But might not too.)
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Does that in anyway relate to this? :
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=171011
    Yeah, the OS here will be larger and they appear to have more "Sprint stuff" in there.

BTW, what is your available RAM after a soft-reset? Is it ~96mb or something?

~74mb just seems....low.

Edit: wait wait wait...

It's not 128mb of RAM but 96mb of RAM on the Sprint Treo Pro, right? 96mb and after boot it's about 70mb. The GSM has 128mb of RAM but 101mb after boot, correct? Eey...

Storage;
    Total-105.*
    In use-17.*
    Free-88.*

Program;
    Total-101.*
    In use-32.*
    Free-69.*
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Well, the 800w is cheaper. Only $50 cheaper at the moment, but that price might go down.

The GSM Pro isn't as snappy as the 800w. Early rumors suggest that the same holds true for the CDMA Pro.

You'll get better battery life with the 800w + extended battery (even the non-hump one) than you will with the Pro. Price works out to be roughly the same (currently).

800w apparently has more memory, meaning you can run more programs.

Other than that, it all comes down to personal preference. Soft touch or high gloss paint? Centro keyboard or more traditional Treo one? Recessed or flat screen?

Try 'em both and see which one you like more. If they're about the same, then go with the less expensive one and use the money you save on something else, like extra goodies.

(One other thing you might want to consider is support. The 800w has a significant amount of support behind it. The Pro...not so much. That might change now that it's CDMA and on Sprint. But might not too.)
    Any phone that has Ebag behind it seems like it will be better.
    Maybe I can get an 800w from someone who upgrades.
    I already basically decided on the 800w. I just wanted to make sure that any upgrades wouldn't change the Pro too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Storage;
    Total-105.*
    In use-17.*
    Free-88.*

Program;
    Total-101.*
    In use-32.*
    Free-69.*
    Bingo (and thanks!)

96mb - 27mb for the OS= 70mb, like in the picture. Take out another 32mb for the rest of the OS and you are down to...42mb?

Seriously, if true...WTF. This jives with that user report who said it crashed running Bejeweled 2 and ActiveSync.

Funny how the device that was supposed to fix all of the 800w's flaws seems to have it's own set.

Of course that's true with any device. As long as people make it, there will be things wrong with it.

(Oh, and Mal, your new avatar makes me laugh. Even if that's one $#!77Y cup o' espresso. )
    lol, I smile too when i look at it...

Well, we'll see how this device does. I'm not sure if I should order online or try a store to see which gets here first....

btw, article is up:
    http://www.wmexperts.com/sprint-treo...ailable-online

Damn, nearly $617 after taxes. Damn you NY. Lucky I'll be returning ;-)

Think it'll be here by Friday? lol

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    I pretty much decided on the 800w.
    Just wanted to make sure that any changes didn't make it too much better than the GSM version.
    Can someone reassure me?
    Also, I started a separate thread, but I'll ask again here:
    Anybody know of any internet content filter that works on Windows Mobile?
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    ROTFLMAO Enough support to fix the defective GPS? How about a single ROM update? Sorry, the 800w is EOL. Hard to imagine ANY support for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    ROTFLMAO Enough support to fix the defective GPS? How about a single ROM update? Sorry, the 800w is EOL. Hard to imagine ANY support for it.
    NSX, your claims are so silly, it's no wonder you can't say them with a straight face.

There's no Zbop for the Pro. No Hannip. No Mal. Go and compare the 800w's FAQ to a list of support and improvements for the Pro. Come back when the Pro has the same level of community support as the 800w.

It might get that level of support....eventually. But it ain't there now.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast