Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi all
    I have a weird problem with my pop mail. For some reason, the inbox auto deletes mail. I have the settings to delete manually but all mail is deleted after a couple of hours whether I read it or not. I'm not sure whether it's because my home pc downloads the email later but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $emails$ $should$ $be$ $downloaded$ $to$ $my$ $handheld$ $permanently$ $irrespective$ $of$ $what$ $happens$ $elsewhere$ $shouldn$'$t$ $they$?
    The Gmail account doesn't exhibit this behavior, nor does SMS.
    Is this a reportable bug or is there a setting I'm overlooking? Thanks for all input.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Hi all
    I have a weird problem with my pop mail. For some reason, the inbox auto deletes mail. I have the settings to delete manually but all mail is deleted after a couple of hours whether I read it or not. I'm not sure whether it's because my home pc downloads the email later but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $emails$ $should$ $be$ $downloaded$ $to$ $my$ $handheld$ $permanently$ $irrespective$ $of$ $what$ $happens$ $elsewhere$ $shouldn$'$t$ $they$?
    I'm not sure I understand the question fully, but this is how POP works. The mail is downloaded and deleted from the server by the mail client that gets to it first. To read mail from both your phone and your desktop you have to tell both your email clients to leave the mail on the server.

    And since POP has no notion of marking mail as read on the server, you get the mess of "unread" mail that you already read elsewhere...
  3. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the question fully, but this is how POP works. The mail is downloaded and deleted from the server by the mail client that gets to it first. To read mail from both your phone and your desktop you have to tell both your email clients to leave the mail on the server.

    And since POP has no notion of marking mail as read on the server, you get the mess of "unread" mail that you already read elsewhere...
    Here's what happens:
    Leave for work in am. Check my downloaded POP mail on treo pro around 10 am read some in full, others just view the headers. Several hours later POP inbox is empty without me doing anything.
    Go home fire up outlook, download all email from server.
  4. #4  
    I see no reason why your Treo Pro would delete the mail by itself. I guess this happens because your home pc was active and Outlook still running in the background (check Task Manager to be sure). Perhaps your home pc was started to check for daily updates to start antivirus, backup software, Windows Update, or Media Center Program Guide updates?

    Anyway, set your Outlook to leave mail on server for X days (see Account options) and to delete from server when you permanently delete (when mail is removed from the Deleted Items folder).
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  5. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    I see no reason why your Treo Pro would delete the mail by itself. I guess this happens because your home pc was active and Outlook still running in the background (check Task Manager to be sure). Perhaps your home pc was started to check for daily updates to start antivirus, backup software, Windows Update, or Media Center Program Guide updates?

    Anyway, set your Outlook to leave mail on server for X days (see Account options) and to delete from server when you permanently delete (when mail is removed from the Deleted Items folder).
    Thanks for that tip.I changed the settings on my desktop to "leave mail on server for 3 days" and that fixed it.
    However my laptop was retaining mail in it's inbox why not pocket outlook on the Treo Pro? Is this a software glitch?
  6. #6  
    It stays on your Treo as long as it's on the server.
    If you permanently delete mail on the desktop, then it'll disappear from the Treo. I'm sure that's what you've seen on yours too.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  7. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    It stays on your Treo as long as it's on the server.
    If you permanently delete mail on the desktop, then it'll disappear from the Treo. I'm sure that's what you've seen on yours too.
    I'm new to the treo, is that the way it's always set up on pocket outlook? As I mentioned earlier my laptop retains it's mail even when it's removed from the server by desktop pc. Even Versamail on my tungsten T retained it's mail, I find this behavior weird on the Treo.
  8. #8  
    Yes but you are comparing your laptop to your Treo. A laptop has a harddisk of at least 20gb, a mobile phone is not considered to have that :-) Your mail program on the laptop is identical in behavior as that of a desktop. Your Treo is running Windows Mobile, which has nothing to do with Windows on the desktop. Similarly, Pocket Outlook only has the same name as the desktop cousin. It is made to read your mail on the go, and if you want to keep certain emails, you should create a folder in pocket outlook and copy the mail.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  9. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    Yes but you are comparing your laptop to your Treo. A laptop has a harddisk of at least 20gb, a mobile phone is not considered to have that :-) Your mail program on the laptop is identical in behavior as that of a desktop. Your Treo is running Windows Mobile, which has nothing to do with Windows on the desktop. Similarly, Pocket Outlook only has the same name as the desktop cousin. It is made to read your mail on the go, and if you want to keep certain emails, you should create a folder in pocket outlook and copy the mail.
    Agreed, but gmail downloaded to treo retains it's mail that I have to manually delete. Don't know why it's not consistent across all accounts.

Posting Permissions