Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Played with a Treo Pro at my local Sprint store, first impression.
    -very nice feel in the hand, well made
    -Flush screen is nice
    -Touch sensitive butons worked well
    -Keyboard smaller than my 800w but wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be
    -Audio quality was great, earpiece and speaker
    -Pro has a manual PRL update icon in settings menu
    -Has a youtube icon that goes to Kinoma Freeplay when pressed
    -Memmory was 369 storage and program (I think, will verify)

Will add more shortly, I am going to use again if anyone has any questions, plus I will post a picture.
    Last edited by jimh2000; 01/17/2009 at 07:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I think I want the Pro. Time to say goodbye to the 800w.
  3. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    @jimh2000, the Sprint TP has recessed screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    -very nice feel in the hand, well made
    -Recessed screen is nice
    -Touch sensitive butons worked well
    -Keyboard smaller than my 800w but wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be
    -Audio quality was great, earpiece and speaker
    -Memmory was 369 storage and program (I think, will verify)

Will add more shortly, I am going to use again if anyone has any questions, plus I will post a picture.
    yeah, keep us posted.

could you do the "GPS test" i.e. turn off the radio, soft reset the device and try the GPS? It will probably take a few mins to get a fix and you may want to be outside/near the window if possible

i assume this isn't available for purchase yet

the inclusion of FreePlay is a nice idea and since Palm/Kinoma get along well, makes sense

hows the speed and IE6?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5.    #5  
    The phone wasn't provisioned, couldn't go to internet yet. How can I tell if it has IE6?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    @jimh2000, the Sprint TP has recessed screen?
    Sorry, I meant to say Flush, post edited.
  7.    #7  
    If I can say it this way, this is the first time I have held the TP.
    My 800w feels like a Ford truck and the Pro feels like a BMW, if that makes any sense.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I like everything said about the Pro so far. It is just that I dont like shiny surface.
  9. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Sorry, I meant to say Flush, post edited.
    Thanks jimh2000, I was hoping they hadn't changed the flush screen, it is really nice.
    If I can say it this way, this is the first time I have held the TP.
    My 800w feels like a Ford truck and the Pro feels like a BMW, if that makes any sense.
    Good analogy. I'm going to throw a skin on mine to prevent fingerprints and protect against any scratches.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Tomorrow I am going to get my replaced 800w that had died.

I am going to ask this Sprint reseller if he knows what is coming out on Jan 25.
    Sweet, the first hands-on!

+1 on finding out about the standalone GPS.
    I'm sure glad they gave it to you guys too.

It would of been just plain mean if they took it away from the cdma guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'm sure glad they gave it to you guys too.

It would of been just plain mean if they took it away from the cdma guys.

Other HTC phones have it (Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro) on Sprint and the Treo Pro GSM has it as well. It should be there unless someone goofed or caught a case of stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    Other HTC phones have it (Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro) on Sprint and the Treo Pro GSM has it as well. It should be there unless someone goofed or caught a case of stupid.
    It will be there. The 800w failure was such a massive screw-up that Palm won't make that mistake again.
    from SU:
    Quote Originally Posted by deanwoof
    The demo phones for the Sprint stores should have all arrived by now.

My thoughts on it so far:

Cons - the phone has frozen up a few times for about 3-4 seconds while playing Bejeweled 2 and having Activesync running in the background. That's not a good sign even though it's supposed to have more RAM on the damn thing compared to the 800wx. Not much of an improvement over 800wx performance wise.

Pros
    - The device is much sexier and sleeker looking than anything Sprint has at the moment IMO. The phone doesn't feel cheap like the 800wx, which I thought was just the 700wx slapped on with some blue housing sans antanae. The touch screen itself is much nicer and is more responsive, but because the phone feels so different than what we've seen/felt, it feels odd when you are touching the screen with your thumbs. The keypad is a huge improvement over the 800wx. you can actually type on the thing without having your hand/thumbs feel like they were going to cramp.

One really cool thing is the ability to go to some websites and the phone would actually play embedded videos that the touch pro/diamond and other windows phones didn't.

otherwise with the 20 or so minutes i've played with it there's nothing that really would make me purchase this phone, and especially not at the price tag (549.99/249.99 i believe is what it's listed as).

the box is different. and i do mean different. instead of the standard yellow box that most sprint phones come packaged in with a lot of wasted space, the thing is half the size and oddly shaped. i guess palm/sprint is trying to cut down on waste/material?

Very good they included those.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Very good they included those.
    Sure is. Glad to hear that the Treo Pro has a BETTER keyboard than the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Glad to hear that the Treo Pro has a BETTER keyboard than the 800w.
    People who have used many WM devices and have lots of experience will tell you that keyboard type, layout and design is a subjective preference. In other words, it's pretty dangerous to rely on an anonymous review to define your likes. (having owned a Centro and various Treos, I enjoy both keyboards with no strong preference for either).

<edited by Dieter>

Case in point, you may want to see if the Treo Pro crashes like that reviewer says when using AS and Bejeweled--that may be a problem for some people who use their device for things like...email. You might also want to make sure that it has more than aGPS, since that feature is extremely important to you and would be a definite deal breaker if it doesn't.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/18/2009 at 07:35 PM.

I'm a bit surprised by the keyboard comment.

If it's the same as the GSM Treo Pro, then I prefer the 800w, but yeah different strokes...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast