Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Um, I kept the 800w in the hopes that Palm would fix the multitude of bugs with the ROM update that never came. Had I known that Sprint would abandon the dud after Day 1, I wouldn't have kept mine past Day 30.
    Well, word of advice than to others on this board: don't ever buy a piece of technology expecting it to be fixed down the road--that is a very risky gamble ;-)

We don't buy these phones with an IOU from the companies. There are no guaranteed ROM updates and no one promised one. So don't assume.

Living with a device that doesn't work for you and causes you grief for six long months probably isn't worth a Treo Pro--especially since you just know something better will be out within months.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Oh, don't worry your little head about me. I've been using my Mogul for months since it's also clearly better than the 800w. I'll have my Treo Pro soon enough and will be able to sell my Mogul (for more than I could have gotten for my 800w).

Here's another user report: standalone GPS works on the Treo Pro!
    Your sprint salesman will tell you that this problem on the 800w was fixed on the Pro since it is in Sprints selling material.

It looks like about 3/4 of the problems and bugs that some where called "whiners" for noting were in fact the focus of Palm's upgrade between 800w and Pro and especially Pro CDMA!

Standalone GPS: a few claimed it was a non issue, Sprint makes a big deal of it working on Pro
    Battery: a few claimed it was a none issue, Palm adds over 30% more battery capacity
    Low volume on headphones: need secondary programs on 800w, works well out of the box on Pro
    Poor speaker quality: better on the Pro
    Need for more browsers, tweaks, extra programs to get to youtube and flash on 800w: works out of the box on the pro
    LED flash: needs programs that can cause some insatiability on the 800w, works out of the box on the Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Your sprint salesman will tell you that this problem on the 800w was fixed on the Pro since it is in Sprints selling material.

It looks like about 3/4 of the problems and bugs that some where called "whiners" for noting were in fact the focus of Palm's upgrade between 800w and Pro and especially Pro CDMA!

Standalone GPS: a few claimed it was a non issue, Sprint makes a big deal of it working on Pro
    Battery: a few claimed it was a none issue, Palm adds over 30% more battery capacity
    Low volume on headphones: need secondary programs on 800w, works well out of the box on Pro
    Poor speaker quality: better on the Pro
    Need for more browsers, tweaks, extra programs to get to youtube and flash on 800w: works out of the box on the pro
    LED flash: needs programs that can cause some insatiability on the 800w, works out of the box on the Pro.
    What are your thoughts regarding available memory after soft reset being ~48MB?
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Battery capacity is fairly meaningless as a stat by itself.

Palm also increased the processor speed by about 30% (according to the doc's we've seen so far). That's going to have a very negative impact on battery life, since they did not increase the battery capacity along with the processor speed.

My guess is that the Pro is going to need every bit of that battery capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by forteanajones View Post
    What are your thoughts regarding available memory after soft reset being ~48MB?
    Well I am glad there is 30 days. since that is something we can all test. I know I use a lot of programs on my 800w and many I wont need because the Pro doesn't have the same problems.

I intend to test the Pro CDMA with half a dozen full fledged navigation devices and I am sure some will test with other programs.

Most of my problems come from using things like GPSgate, LED manipulation programs
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    A poster in this thread stated the phone doesnt have the "professional" feel.

I am sending emails quite a bit and using this phone in front of some "important" people.

Is this more of a play phone than a business phone?

I dont want my higher ups looking at me funny when I pull this out of my pocket.

The 800w I have now looks professional...at least in my opinion.

Nobody else has thought on this?
    Anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by UCFgrad05 View Post
    Anybody?
    The black can make it "pass" for professional, but yeah the 800w looks more like a cliche (?) business device.

It does *not* have rubberized paint ( ), it's all shiny black. I really wish they had made the back rubberized, kept the front shiny--perfect.

Too bad about the memory.

I may have to log my memory usage on the 800w to see if my usage patterns would "fit" on the Treo Pro, still might be okay.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

I am sending emails quite a bit and using this phone in front of some "important" people.

I dont want my higher ups looking at me funny when I pull this out of my pocket.

Anybody?
    IMO, I love the look and feel of the Pro. To me the 800W looks more like a Centro which I consider a consumer device, don't get me wrong. I LOVE my Onyx Centro, it IMO doesn't look like a business device and wasn't marketed as a business device, and that what I think of the 800W. I used to have an at&t 8800 BB which is designated as a "Business" device, and that is how I look @ the Pro. I think the Pro looks much more "pro"fessional then the 800W. Especially since the 800W has a blueish plasticy look.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-

Anybody?
    The "all black flush screen" look is even now the design of many new Blackberries. 1 year from now, there won't be any question about whether it's a design accepted by professionals, because so many professionals will have a device with the design.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post

I may have to log my memory usage on the 800w to see if my usage patterns would "fit" on the Treo Pro, still might be okay.
    I think it'll be doable for a lot of people, but yeah, it's hard to say at this point--really depends on what you are planning to do with it.

Then again, I've heard of it crashing twice already running only a few apps (Bejeweled, Activesync and IE6)...

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I think it'll be doable for a lot of people, but yeah, it's hard to say at this point--really depends on what you are planning to do with it.

Then again, I've heard of it crashing twice already running only a few apps (Bejeweled, Activesync and IE6)...
    It might not be the memory though... I wouldn't be surprised if IE6 introduces a whole new set of issues, by itself.
    Even if the consensus sees the Pro as a more professional phone you should not feel your 800w looks less professional.
    I remember when Palm Pilots first came out, the "Professional look" was to have an all paper Franklin Planner. People trying to enter business meeting notes and appointments into a Palm Pilot or Apple Newton were the supposed kids with toys back then .
    (In time, Franklin Covey [makers of the Franklin Planner] made holders for Palm Pilots and their own planning software for Palm OS .)

Don't worry about what someone says does not look professional today, because soon such claims will be long forgotten. And the person in the office who got the new device first will be the one others run to for help after they get theirs .
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    My having the screen flush, now you can really tell if someone put a screen shield on it. That sucks.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    My having the screen flush, now you can really tell if someone put a screen shield on it. That sucks.
    What's so bad about knowing a device has a screen protector on it? Of course if you get a full device body cover the entire exterior of the device has a similar look and feel. Just get a full device cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post

I had the same thought. I have been going to task manager frequently to see how much memory I am using. Almost all the apps I use all the time are between 500k and 2mb. Even with only 40mb I can run a lot of those. The only real hogs I use are StyleTap, Kinoma Play, and Garmin XT. Most of the time when I am using those I'm not really using any other programs. If I just train myself to close everything down before running any of my hogs I think I would be just fine.

Thank God for the 30 day thing because if I have one memory related crash that causes me to loose even 1 byte of data that thing is going back so fast without hesitation.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    yeah, I think for most people it'll be okay...it's just weird/not preferred at this point.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast