Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 81
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Um, because it gets me a free Treo Pro thanks to the defective GPS. LOL
    Well you better hold onto that 800w for some more days .

    I remember asking you a while back while you kept the 800w and your answer back then made it clear you had your reasons, even before the Treo Pro deal that you snagged, but now you've got no reason to do anything but hold onto that 800w a little while longer .


    Quote Originally Posted by mcnutty View Post
    Two piece home charger (one piece is a usb cord and the other resembles the touchstone but actually accepts the the usb portion of the the cord and plugs into a wall).
    That is TOTALLY HTC. They probably had to remove the "HTC" logo that lights up for Palm . Does the part that plugs into the wall light up? I'm sure Treo Pro owners would enjoy it if it does, I'm sure it would have been easy to make it say "Palm" instead of "HTC".
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Um, because it gets me a free Treo Pro thanks to the defective GPS. LOL
    I'm just a little confused, so pardon the question:

    You bought the 800w back in July and quickly realized it did not work for you as a phone, didn't have standalone GPS, was "buggy" and was just a complete "dud", using your own words. But you still kept it.

    3 months later (late October), the first tiny bit of evidence comes out about a possible Sprint Treo Pro (which is far from confirmed with standalone GPS even today). Meanwhile, you just live with all of those aforementioned issues for 6 months for a potential, eventual, Treo Pro who's specs we know little about and Sprint agreed to swap your 800w for this non-disclosed device that they didn't publicly acknowledge?

    That has to be tough having to live with a phone you can't stand for half a year; personally I would just have returned it within my 30 days and got something I liked instead. But at least you are breaking even (the costs the same at $249).

    What happens if the Treo Pro only has aGPS?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/19/2009 at 09:07 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3. bashok's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #43  
    I'm planning on calling palm tomorrow. People have gotten a full refund for their 800w because of the standalone GPS issue. But i'm going to call them and see if they can give me the sprint treo pro and i give them back their 800w.

    You think this will work?
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashok View Post
    I'm planning on calling palm tomorrow. People have gotten a full refund for their 800w because of the standalone GPS issue. But i'm going to call them and see if they can give me the sprint treo pro and i give them back their 800w.

    You think this will work?
    Honestly? No. They won't tell you about a Sprint Treo Pro--not till Sunday at least.

    Worth a shot? Definitely.

    Just be very polite and don't be pushy.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashok View Post
    I'm planning on calling palm tomorrow. People have gotten a full refund for their 800w because of the standalone GPS issue. But i'm going to call them and see if they can give me the sprint treo pro and i give them back their 800w.

    You think this will work?
    And if the Sprint Treo Pro has aGPS, what will be your leverage to request a swap even if they were open to your proposal? I mean if the Sprint Treo Pro has aGPS (no stand alone GPS) and you call Palm wanting a Sprint Treo Pro because the Sprint Treo 800w only has aGPS...

    I don't think it will work.

    Let us know how it goes. This should be interesting.

    If you are finding the 800w to be a defective device and want to send Palm your 800w and receive a refund for the purchase price (not a Treo Pro, but a refund of what you paid for the 800w) and you have any hassles in getting that done PM me or e-mail me at darnell2009 [put an at symbol here] hushmail.com .
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And if the Sprint Treo Pro has aGPS, what will be your leverage to request a swap even if they were open to your proposal?
    I don't think that is an issue, because the Touch Pro has stand alone GPS so will the Treo Pro. Apart from the case and sometimes the screen all of the HTC WinMo phones use the same hardware so the bulk of the software can be easily reused as well. This is a good business decision because they can turn out new phones at an incredible rate yet still focus the bulk of efforts on user interface items like TouchFlo 3D.
  7. #47  
    So I received my device today, and I'm honestly a little shocked. I'm an admitted WinMo hater and basher, yet I'm loving the Pro. Every customer that saw the phone was asking about it, and every coworker was begging to use it. Unfortunately, I have to leave it with my store for the next two weeks, so I won't be able to do much customization to it until then, but after that, it'll be all mine to do whatever I'd like with it.

    My only issues so far:

    I installed Opera Mobile, and for some reason when I close out of the browser, I won't be able to get back in until I do a battery pull. It's not a huge deal, as I'll be eventually installing Skyfire, but it's an annoyance. Should I be using Opera Mini instead?

    I set up both of my Gmail accounts using IMAP, but it still asks me how often it should check for mail. Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of IMAP? Any way to get push GMail?
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    I installed Opera Mobile, and for some reason when I close out of the browser, I won't be able to get back in until I do a battery pull. It's not a huge deal, as I'll be eventually installing Skyfire, but it's an annoyance. Should I be using Opera Mini instead?
    Did you have a particular reason to move away from the Pro's IE 6 Mobile? My understanding is that it offers up lots of improvements over its predecessors.

    Not that I'm married to the concept or anything -- I plan to move to Opera/Skyfire right away if IE6M falls down. Flash is great and all, but I was hoping IE6M would offer performance, usability and/or other improvements as well.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    So I received my device today, and I'm honestly a little shocked. I'm an admitted WinMo hater and basher, yet I'm loving the Pro. Every customer that saw the phone was asking about it, and every coworker was begging to use it. Unfortunately, I have to leave it with my store for the next two weeks, so I won't be able to do much customization to it until then, but after that, it'll be all mine to do whatever I'd like with it.
    I also think this will be a hot seller for Sprint, when people see it, they will want it.
    What is your opinion on the release date of Jan 25th? I don't see any indication that the phones will be in the stores by then.
    What phone were you using before? What do you think about the keyboard?
    Same situation here, phone can't leave the store, locked up at night.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by nitf View Post
    I don't think that is an issue, because the Touch Pro has stand alone GPS so will the Treo Pro. Apart from the case and sometimes the screen all of the HTC WinMo phones use the same hardware so the bulk of the software can be easily reused as well. This is a good business decision because they can turn out new phones at an incredible rate yet still focus the bulk of efforts on user interface items like TouchFlo 3D.

    The documented specs leaked for the Sprint Treo Pro say aGPS and no stand alone GPS and use wording that is rather convoluted.


    I don't think you should bank on the Sprint Treo Pro having stand alone GPS and aGPS until some people have had time to fully test it, people you trust. HTC put an FM radio tuner in the Touch Pro, but the Sprint HTC Touch Pro does not yet have working FM radio and people are trying to come up with a hack for it.

    Carriers are having some things locked for their own motives of possibly selling their paid services. I figure one day they'll lock out a feature that ticks off enough of us to the point more of us will go to only using unlocked GSM devices.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I don't think you should bank on the Sprint Treo Pro having stand alone GPS and aGPS until some people have had time to fully test it, people you trust. HTC put an FM radio tuner in the Touch Pro, but the Sprint HTC Touch Pro does not yet have working FM radio and people are trying to come up with a hack for it.
    It will support it in the hardware and there is no compelling reason for Sprint to disable it so I am willing to make a small wager with you that it will be in the Treo Pro I can see the FM receiver because it affects a revenue stream from Sprint but there is no extra money in not providing stand alone GPS. Comparing a feature from a a non-Sprint version to a Sprint version is different than two phones that are both on Sprint to begin with.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by nitf View Post
    It will support it in the hardware and there is no compelling reason for Sprint to disable it so I am willing to make a small wager with you that it will be in the Treo Pro
    Same logic can be said about the Treo 800w. Didn't prevent a bug in the firmware from causing issues with it though. (And that explicitly said that the 800w was standalone, unlike the docs we've seen to date on the Pro.)


    That being said, I think the Pro will have both. Or at the very least is intended to have both.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Same logic can be said about the Treo 800w.
    Not the same logic at all, the hardware in the Touch Pro and Treo Pro are near identical and the software was written by the same guys so a bug to suddenly appear is not very likely. The 800 was designed using different hardware and programmed by Palm so a completely different outcome is possible.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by nitf View Post
    Not the same logic at all, the hardware in the Touch Pro and Treo Pro are near identical and the software was written by the same guys so a bug to suddenly appear is not very likely. The 800 was designed using different hardware and programmed by Palm so a completely different outcome is possible.
    A compelling reason would simply be licensing and cost.

    Sure the hardware could support it, but it is a choice to have GPS standalone or aGPS or some combo of both. The more things you have, the more it costs. It's as simple as that and one of the reasons why HTC forgets graphic drivers in their devices (unlike Samsung).

    Qualcomm is very smart: get people to buy your "all in one" chipsets (gps, wifi, bt, phone radio, FM, graphics, PTT, multimedia, etc.) then nickel and dime companies to enable those features.

    Forgetting the plausible situation where Palm/HTC/Sprint chose to go with just aGPS (aGPS is more common than standalone), there IS a possible hardware differentiation that you are neglecting: a suitable antenna for standalone. Standalone GPS requires the chipset to be plexed to an adequate (and optional) antenna in the device. Look through the FCC spec photos of various devices to see what it looks like.

    Regardless, lets just wait a few days to see the answer: guessing, placing "wagers" or just having faith is unnecessary conjecture, especially since we are just days away

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by nitf View Post
    It will support it in the hardware and there is no compelling reason for Sprint to disable it so I am willing to make a small wager with you that it will be in the Treo Pro I can see the FM receiver because it affects a revenue stream from Sprint but there is no extra money in not providing stand alone GPS. Comparing a feature from a a non-Sprint version to a Sprint version is different than two phones that are both on Sprint to begin with.
    Navigation service is also a revenue stream for Sprint.

    If I can't compare the GSM Touch Pro to features disabled in the Sprint Touch Pro, then by your own viewpoint you should not cite functionality in the GSM Treo Pro.
  16. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #57  
    The Treo Pro will be in the store on Jan 25.

    I went to a Sprint reseller last week to get my 800w replaced. I told him about the Pro. At first he thought I said the Pre and they will be in Feb. I tell him again the Pro! He said 'What Pro? Show me." I told him to come to this website and he was amazed. He went to talk to someone at the front and they look at it together and they set yep.

    He comes to the back to get my phone and I follow him and he called somebody regional. He look at it over and he confirm on the phone it will be out on the Jan 25. The repair guy told me "Nobody told us anything about the Pro".

    Those resellers are so happy about the news. It seem like the more new phones that come out, the better for them.

    So this is all I heard and told them. So we shall see on Jan 25.
  17. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I also think this will be a hot seller for Sprint, when people see it, they will want it.
    What is your opinion on the release date of Jan 25th? I don't see any indication that the phones will be in the stores by then.
    What phone were you using before? What do you think about the keyboard?
    Same situation here, phone can't leave the store, locked up at night.
    I was coming from a Curve, I'm a long-standing BBerry guy. I'm liking the keyboard so far, it's going to take some getting used to as far as shortcuts and alt symbols go, but I'm getting there. As for the 25th, I believe it, for once.

    As for IE vs Opera vs Skyfire, I wasn't very impressed with IE, and I'm a sucker for "pretty" things at first, Opera's quick scrolling with the same inertia the iPhone has is quite nice.
  18. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    The Treo Pro will be in the store on Jan 25.

    I went to a Sprint reseller last week to get my 800w replaced. I told him about the Pro. At first he thought I said the Pre and they will be in Feb. I tell him again the Pro! He said 'What Pro? Show me." I told him to come to this website and he was amazed. He went to talk to someone at the front and they look at it together and they set yep.

    He comes to the back to get my phone and I follow him and he called somebody regional. He look at it over and he confirm on the phone it will be out on the Jan 25. The repair guy told me "Nobody told us anything about the Pro".

    Those resellers are so happy about the news. It seem like the more new phones that come out, the better for them.

    So this is all I heard and told them. So we shall see on Jan 25.
    You should have told them to trade you up to a Pro since you did their job for them in keeping them up on what they're suppose to sell next week .
  19. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm just a little confused, so pardon the question:

    You bought the 800w back in July and quickly realized it did not work for you as a phone, didn't have standalone GPS, was "buggy" and was just a complete "dud", using your own words. But you still kept it.

    3 months later (late October), the first tiny bit of evidence comes out about a possible Sprint Treo Pro (which is far from confirmed with standalone GPS even today). Meanwhile, you just live with all of those aforementioned issues for 6 months for a potential, eventual, Treo Pro who's specs we know little about and Sprint agreed to swap your 800w for this non-disclosed device that they didn't publicly acknowledge?

    That has to be tough having to live with a phone you can't stand for half a year; personally I would just have returned it within my 30 days and got something I liked instead. But at least you are breaking even (the costs the same at $249).

    What happens if the Treo Pro only has aGPS?
    Um, I kept the 800w in the hopes that Palm would fix the multitude of bugs with the ROM update that never came. Had I known that Sprint would abandon the dud after Day 1, I wouldn't have kept mine past Day 30.

    Sure glad to see that they've done even better than fixing the 800w's bugs and gone and given us superior hardware in the Treo Pro.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions