1.    #1  
    Hello guys and girls I'm new to the registry editing. How do you edit the registry? Is there a good FAQ out there on it? I'd like to try the tweaks and cracks but don't want to booger up the phone too bad.

Also, before editing the registry is it a good idea to do a backup first? If so, what are you all using for a backup software?

Thanks much!
    Definitely back up first. Sprite backup is on the ROM of your 800w, and it works well.

There are several registry editors available ranging from free to not so free. You might want to start with Resco, as it is reasonably simple to use and has many other functions.
    Ya know, dannzeman, for the effort it took you to do that screen cap, you could have given a more in-depth explanation than I did to start with.

It's been 5 years since I went on a T|C rant about people replying with "do a search," but I'm always up for it. <smirk>
  5.    #5  
    I actually did a search first. And before that I read and read and read and read many threads about registry edits and hacks, but all I found is "here's a good edit" or things like that, not a good "here's how to edit the registry". That's why I posted the new thread.

Thanks Alli, I'll backup with Sprite now, after that I'll do a search for Resco.

Any other recommendations on a good "how to"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Ya know, dannzeman, for the effort it took you to do that screen cap, you could have given a more in-depth explanation than I did to start with.

It's been 5 years since I went on a T|C rant about people replying with "do a search," but I'm always up for it. <smirk>
    A picture is worth a 1000 words, right? I've never been much of a talker. Oh, and I always enjoy a good rant
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Are you the same dannzeman at xda-developers?
    ...and at ppcgeeks, and just about everywhere else you see that username.
    Back on topic, the article linked by ebag above on WMExperts really is a good start -- definitely start slow and make sure you have a solid (and TESTED) backup solution.
    FWIW, depending on what you're changing, you have the option of using software that will tweak your settings, i.e. SKTools. Personally I prefer to roll my own, but for some it's easier to use a menu driven interface.

Dannzeman, I think there is a bug in your search tool. I clicked on it but it wouldn't let me type anything in.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
  10.    #11  
    Thanks for the help guys. I've been using PHM Registry Edit and things are going smoothly so far .