1.    #1  
    Due to the lack of Windows mobile's flexibility in syncing, I signed up for an exchange server to sync my laptop, desktop, and 800w. All is fine. I now have a job where the organiztion uses outlook and I have a blackberry to go with it.

I would like to sub in my Treo for the BB, but I have usually wanted to avoid putting all my personal information on an organization's server. I see that Outlook will let you mark things private; but do any of you know how private that is? I am certainly not entering super-duper secrets--just personal information that I do not want archived for all the world to access years from now or whatever.

So is it realistic to use the company's outlook for my personal email, personal contacts, and personal calendar simply by marking my stuff private?
    That depends on what you consider Private to be.

While it refers to Outlook 2000, here is an article that gives a good overview of what Private means. The general idea also applies to 2003 and 2007: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...549001033.aspx (see the section "Settings and their results")

Here's a summary of how the Private sensitivity setting applies to each type of Outlook content.

Emails: If you send someone an email marked private, they can forward or reply to it, but they cannot edit its original contents or change its sensitivity setting.

Calendar: Recipients of appointments/meeting requests can reply to or forward and edit the original contents, however they cannot change the sensitivity setting.

Contacts: If you forward someone a contact, it will remain marked as private. If you forward someone a contact as a vcard, the private setting will not be kept.

Tasks: If you assign a task to someone, they cannot change the privacy setting.

Globally, if something is marked private, delegates of your mailbox cannot see the item unless you give delegates access to see private items.

So, this all applies to what others can and cannot do with your data if you send it to them. Keep in mind that when you send data to others (emails, contacts, etc.), if you are sending it to someone that does not use Outlook, the privacy settings will likely just be ignored by their mail client. For example, if I send a calendar entry from my work email account (which uses an Outlook client and an Exchange server), to my personal email account which uses a webmail login to my ISPs website, my webmail account will simply ignore the privacy settings and let me do what I want with the data.

So is it realistic to use the company's outlook for my personal email, personal contacts, and personal calendar simply by marking my stuff private?
    You certainly can use your work account to store personal data, but do you really want to? What privacy requirement is there for your employer to protect your personal data that you decide to place on their equipment which is meant only to be used for business purposes? None. Every time that they backup the data on their mail server (which is likely daily), a copy of your personal data is retained by them.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for an outstanding reply! That covers everything I was wanting to know.
    Glad to help.