Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Has anyone done a size and weight compare of the Pro vs 800w?

Thanks!
    Aren't all the specs available?

You could go to palms website and compare.
    Maybe he means an actual physical comparison? The stated dimension and weight specs do not always tell the real story. Look at the specs for the Treo Pro and Samsung Epix.... one would think they are very similar if I recall correctly. However, the TP feels 50% smaller when you actually hold them both due to form factor. Form factor is the X factor some times to actually dimensions. The TP kills here!!!
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I went to Palm site and cannot find anything to compare the H x L x W.

I am curious to know the thickness and it say it is thinner than 800w.
    Spec sheet helps:
    TP - 60 mm (b) x 114 mm (l) x 13,5 mm (d), 133 gram
    800w - don't have that here; what the heck is cdma anyway :P

PS: sorry to say, but this is really a dumb question ~ info like this is readily available from Palm, please do a little homework
    The 800 is 2.28" W x 4.41" H x 0.73" D
    The Pro is 2.36" W x 4.49" H x 0.53" D
    These are from the Palm web site.......
    I have seen video reviews where they put the pro and the 800w side-by-side, but I can't recall which one. I think I saw it on Youtube.

Anyways, I had both the 800w and the Pro, and the difference in size may seem minimal by the numbers, but they feel very much different in the hand. Plus the Pro is very sleek compared to the 800w, especially with the flush screen. I liked my 800w's size a lot, but I like the Pro much more.
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    OK, the Pro is wider and flatter.

Does the Pro feel like a rubbery grip like on the 800w?
    Last edited by chong67; 01/17/2009 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftwitty View Post
    The 800 is 2.28" W x 4.41" H x 0.73" D
    The Pro is 2.36" W x 4.49" H x 0.53" D
    These are from the Palm web site.......
    Thanks! So, they're basically the same H/W. 0.08" is about the width of a matchstick.

I'm really looking forward to the release of the Treo Pro. It's smaller than my current phone (Moto Q8), which is very pocketable, and offers so much more.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Really makes me mad now why they release the 800w in the first place.
    This says it all:
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    This says it all:
    Yup. The Treo Pro is over 30% smaller but has over 30% more battery.
    and it's THIN, the ideal form factor for my shirt pocket.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    And it's coming out really soon. The Treo 800w is now $199 on Sprint's website.
    The Pro has been out for months. ...... for those willing to pay full price.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Yup. The Treo Pro is over 30% smaller but has over 30% more battery.
    Heh, heh. And some said the size of the 800w was what you'd expect when you cram that many features into a smartphone and you can't fit a larger battery without turning it into a brick like previous generation Treos.

I don't know of another smartphone packed with as many features as the Treo Pro that's smaller, especially in our rather limited CDMA world.
    Keep in mind there are some tradeoffs for that smaller size.

Not the least of which is the weak case problem (cracking).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Keep in mind there are some tradeoffs for that smaller size.

Not the least of which is the weak case problem (cracking).
    Now that isn't fair.

That thread has been dead for some time now.
    Considering that none of the 800w's have had reports of cracking, I'd say it's fair.

When you get that thin something has to give. Making the body thinner is definitely one of the areas where you can buy extra room. The 800w has an actual frame inside it, which IIRC the Pro doesn't. There's probably a bit more space in the 800w between components, which will help reduce heat buildup.

There's pro's and con's to going that thin. The 800w is built like a tank, and I take mine everywhere without qualms. I've dropped it hard, and aside from the soft touch paint being chewed up it's worked perfectly.

With the Pro, you drop it in the wrong spot...bye bye screen. Or you might end up with cracks.

The iPhone is the same way, and I will never get one for that reason (if nothing else). Quite a few people I know keep their iPhone in a hard or soft shelled case, and then have a "cell phone purse" (as my wife calls it) they put it in above and beyond that.

It's not really a knock against the Pro that it's going to be more prone to cracking/damage. It's simply a trade-off of being that thin. Something has to give when you trim the device down .2", and that was it. For some (probably even most) people that's just fine, but I'm pretty rough on my phone.

"Built like a tank" and "small/thin" are generally opposites.
    My post from another thread:
    More than once, I went to leave my house, and had to check my pocket to make sure I had my Treo Pro on me. - It's so light and thin.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast