Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I disagree that thin means more apt to crack.
    My 750 has cracks, my Pro has none.
    The harder the the plastic the more apt to crack, the softer the plastic the less apt to crack.
    There are millions of thin phones that don't crack.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/18/2009 at 10:43 PM.
  2. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    The Pro is definitely tougher than it looks. I dropped mine on the tile floor screen side down. The battery cover came apart and landed 6" away from the TP.

I checked thoroughly, absolutely no dings, scratches, cracks or any other such signs.

I have a BodyGuardz shield on the back & the screen & nothing on the sides & don't put it in a case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Keep in mind there are some tradeoffs for that smaller size.

Not the least of which is the weak case problem (cracking).
    As someone who has designed injection molded parts, I can comfortably say that the size had little to do with the defect. This was either a molding defect (resin too dry when molding, wrong mold temp, wrong barrel heats, wrong injection speed, wrong pack pressure, bad lot of resin, improper venting, etc.) or a design defect (wall too thin, insufficent structural support, too sharp radius, wrong resin type selected for the application, etc.)

There is nothing magical about the size of the case. Many devices have similar cases and they don't crack.
    Last edited by pgh1969pa; 01/18/2009 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I disagree that thin means more apt to crack.
    My 750 has cracks, my Pro has none.
    The harder the the plastic the more apt to crack, the softer the plastic the less apt to crack.
    There are millions of thin phones that don't crack.

Why I said 'that isn't fair' was because you made a general claim - the very thing you battle in the 800 forums.
    Captain 800!
    Agreed....it's so much more complex than that.
    My post from another thread:
    More than once, I went to leave my house, and had to check my pocket to make sure I had my Treo Pro on me. - It's so light and thin.
    That is a terrible problem to have.... I have the same problem
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    Heh, heh. And some said the size of the 800w was what you'd expect when you cram that many features into a smartphone and you can't fit a larger battery without turning it into a brick like previous generation Treos.

I don't know of another smartphone packed with as many features as the Treo Pro that's smaller, especially in our rather limited CDMA world.
    It's because HTC knows how to design great phones. The 800w was Palm's blunder.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    The PRO is design by HTC, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Correct. Thank goodness.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I just saw video of the PRO on youtube.

I see the HTC Task Manager.

I notice those two upper Left and Right button are missing.

Remote Desktop is included. I wonder if Sprint will take it out.
    A little more info:

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Here's a brief rundown of some of the evidence that the Treo Pro is 90% HTC, 10% Palm:

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/th...to_you_by.html

...To say I'm 'confident' that HTC is responsible for the lion's share of the Treo Pro is an understatement, I think. I pretty much regard it as established fact.
    Just call me Berd.
    I notice those two upper Left and Right button are missing.

Remote Desktop is included. I wonder if Sprint will take it out.
    Left and Right button's aren't missing, they're just "virtual'. In other words they the touch screen goes down below the screen just a bit to make those buttons touch sensitive.

The downside is in PIE, if you use full screen, those buttons disappear and now you have no way to access them. Doesn't seem to be a huge deal for many, though I'm a bit hesitant (I like hard keys).

Remote Desktop: not sure, but it's no biggy as there are .cab's floating around that you can install if you need it. A friend uses it on the 800w and loves it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Left and Right button's aren't missing, they're just "virtual'. In other words they the touch screen goes down below the screen just a bit to make those buttons touch sensitive.

The downside is in PIE, if you use full screen, those buttons disappear and now you have no way to access them. Doesn't seem to be a huge deal for many, though I'm a bit hesitant (I like hard keys).
    Many of us are getting around not having physical softkeys with AEButtons.

From the "No Softkeys" Thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=32
    Just call me Berd.
    Many of us are getting around not having physical softkeys with AEButtons.

From the "No Softkeys" Thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=32
    Yup. Hard to imagine that anyone uses PIE any longer. Most of us have moved on to much better browsers.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Yup. Hard to imagine that anyone uses PIE any longer. Most of us have moved on to much better browsers.
    Personal preference. No need to criticize other people's choices of default browsers.

Either way, it's besides the point about the virtual soft keys that Chong67 asked about, which is relevant for any app that uses full screen--PIE was just one example.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I also prefer PIE - fewer issues for my use than Opera. Also, it is amazing how much better a device made by HTC is than that other company.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Also, it is amazing how much better a device made by HTC is than that other company.
    No doubt about it. We'll also get MUCH, MUCH more support from software developers, hackers and accessory companies.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I did read the article. Then if HTC design 90% of the phone, then what is Palm doing these days?

HTC design the Dell Axim too and they are gone.
    I did read the article. Then if HTC design 90% of the phone, then what is Palm doing these days?
    Working on finishing the applications and OS of the Pre. Windows Mobile devices can be sent out for design/development.

HTC design the Dell Axim too and they are gone.
    By Dell's choice.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12