1.    #1  
    As much as I love WeatherPanel, the fact that it continuously locks up my data session on my Treo 800w has made me consider the possibility of writing a new weather app for the Windows Mobile platform.

To start, I've already gotten the appropriate API from AccuWeather to power the data side of the application.

I'm starting this thread because I'd like to get some input on what kind of features I should include in this app if I decide to write it. I'm looking for two categories of requirement: needs and wants.

If you're interested in giving me input, please reply and let me know what you'd like to see.

Thanks in advance.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    There's already something like this on XDA that I've seen recently. You should search for it there to give you an idea of what works and what doesn't.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    There's already something like this on XDA that I've seen recently. You should search for it there to give you an idea of what works and what doesn't.
    I haven't been on XDA for awhile. I'll take a look. Thanks for the tip.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    As much as I love WeatherPanel, the fact that it continuously locks up my data session on my Treo 800w has made me consider the possibility of writing a new weather app for the Windows Mobile platform.

To start, I've already gotten the appropriate API from AccuWeather to power the data side of the application.

I'm starting this thread because I'd like to get some input on what kind of features I should include in this app if I decide to write it. I'm looking for two categories of requirement: needs and wants.

If you're interested in giving me input, please reply and let me know what you'd like to see.

Thanks in advance.
    Good luck with this!

1) If you're going to implement it as a today plugin, I'd say think about making it skinnable (at least in design, even if you don't support it initially).

2) Another cool feature is being able to pull the current location from the GPS (if present), rather than having to set up different cities.

3) Custom alerts based on forecast i.e.:
    Rain - don't forget the umbrella, or cover up the BBQ, whatever
    Early frost - Remember to wrap the water pipes
    Snow, storm - (well you get the picture)

If you want more feedback, I think you may need to post over at ppcgeeks or xda though.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Oooo.... I hadn't even thought of that one....

I may have to post over at PPCGeeks and/or XDA and get them over here to look at this thread.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Good luck with this!

1) If you're going to implement it as a today plugin, I'd say think about making it skinnable (at least in design, even if you don't support it initially).

2) Another cool feature is being able to pull the current location from the GPS (if present), rather than having to set up different cities.

If you want more feedback, I think you may need to post over at ppcgeeks or xda though.
    FWIW, PocketWeather does most, if not all of these already. It works really well for my needs but it's not free.
    I use WeatherWatcher - it does not do the GPS thing though. GPSToday does. I like applications that allow use of the current GPS location.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I use WeatherWatcher - it does not do the GPS thing though. GPSToday does. I like applications that allow use of the current GPS location.
    PocketWeather uses the GPS.
    Downloaded it, though it took a few steps to get there. Thanks.
    so have you scrapped this project?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tmatma04 View Post
    so have you scrapped this project?
    I hadn't really scrapped the project, but it had gotten shoved to the back burner as I got cozy with WeatherPanel again...

However, given the recent death of WeatherPanel, I've gotten the ball rolling on this project once more. I'm still in the initial planning stage, gathering user requirements and support.

For those interested in monitoring or contributing to QuickMobile Weather, the project page is quickmobileweather - Google Code and we have our own thread over at PPCGeeks.com Quick Mobile Weather - PPCGeeks.

Hopefully, we can get some steam in this app's engines and get it rolling ASAP as I'm already feeling lost without my WeatherPanel... LOL

Thanks!
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Just an FYI, Weather Panel has been fixed from the dead...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Just an FYI, Weather Panel has been fixed from the dead...
    Yes, indeed, for now... I'm running it again... And I'm still moving forward with QuickMobile Weather, as well.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G