Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    If you get one soon, PM me.
    I'll have it a few days before launch, definitely no sooner than the 20th, but definitely before the 26th. I'm lined up for "training" for the device on the 20th and was told I wouldn't have one in my hands by that date, but very shortly afterwards.

The good news though? I was told to "Modify the hell out of it", up to and including tossing Android on it and replacing WinMo. I've been scouring here, XDA and WMExperts for custom roms, but it looks like I'll have to be the supplier of the stock one.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    The good news though? I was told to "Modify the hell out of it", up to and including tossing Android on it and replacing WinMo. I've been scouring here, XDA and WMExperts for custom roms, but it looks like I'll have to be the supplier of the stock one.
    Any plans to document your experiences or put up the ROM for others?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Sprint needs to stop playing misleading word games.

Malatesta's article notes the Sprint Treo Pro will only have aGPS, but the provided spec sheet attempts to include the statement "Autonomous & Simultaneous GPS", when the device is only aGPS.

If the Sprint Treo Pro can't get the GPS radio going away from all cell radio signals it is not a true "Autonomous & Simultaneous GPS" device.
    Simultaneous means that you can use your GPS while your using the phone.

It has nothing to do with autonomous or standalone....
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    The Pre cannabolized the sales of the PRO... I don't care what anyone says about Prosumer vs. Consumer vs. Business... blah blah blah.

What I am interested in is Sprint Music is supported by the Pro, but not the 800w, we need to get that from the ROM.
    Why do you like Sprint Music so much, is that similar to Pandora (internet radio streaming), or is it a means to purchase music similar to iTunes or Amazon?
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    What a waste for the pro to be on sprint. I'm stuck on verizon and would buy the pro in a second. But if I were on sprint I would wait for the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by timec View Post
    What a waste for the pro to be on sprint. I'm stuck on verizon and would buy the pro in a second. But if I were on sprint I would wait for the pre.
    Sprint has to get rid of the dud known as the 800w. But sadly the same error is being made in calming the Sprint Treo Pro is an "Autonomous & Simultaneous GPS" device when Sprint killed the true "Autonomous" functionality. If you want true "Autonomous & Simultaneous GPS" the unlocked Treo Pro has it.
    Quote Originally Posted by timec View Post

The Pre won't be out until June.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    And your source for this statement is?
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    When I go to Sprint website to do a upgrade on other phones, it allow me. I think I am 1.5 yr into my contract.

I wonder if I can get it for $250 on Jan 25. Will they extend by SERO?
    Quote Originally Posted by forteanajones View Post
    Any plans to document your experiences or put up the ROM for others?
    I'll be glad to put the stock ROM up, I just need to find out how. As for my experiences, I've only used WinMo on the Moto Q for a few months, and tinkering for a few minutes with coworkers' phones. So I'm going to be really in the dark when I get the device. I'll be glad to post up any quirks or tricks I've found in my testing though.

Frankly, I'm STILL a little annoyed I'm being forced to give up my blackberry. At least with that phone, I know like the back of my hand, and I'm known as the blackberry expert at work.

The one thing I'm TRUELY looking forward to is being able to use Pandora Mobile, instead of Slacker.com, which is quite nice but isn't the same.

By the way, and I hate to post it here (and not doing a search), but does Gmail or Yahoo mail have true IMAP on WinMo? I'll have my work email through exchange, but I'd love to have the full effect with my Gmail accounts, and the Gmail app (at least on the blackberry) is a bit lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    When I go to Sprint website to do a upgrade on other phones, it allow me. I think I am 1.5 yr into my contract.

I wonder if I can get it for $250 on Jan 25. Will they extend by SERO?
    Some of us have been noticing that. I was on the phone with Sprint one night recently and they told me I was eligible for upgrade. And I was like "what" given I'm in the middle of a contract too. Maybe they're freeing us up to try and lure us to the Treo Pro or Palm Pre?

I figured if I actually tried to "upgrade" they'd probably suddenly say they worked out a mistake in their system and I can't have the upgrade .

But you're not the first I've heard that was recently informed you're eligible for upgrade but are in the middle of a contract.

If it's true, they'll just simply shift the end of our 2 year agreements to the later date.
    Sprint never downplays new phones because of too much remaining stock--they just push back the launch date till stock is at an acceptable level.
    Respectfully what I see in the FCC docs from the Pro is just exactly that. Two extra pushbacks, requests by palm for delays in public release of information on Pro CDMA.

The FCC docs show the launch date was pushed back

Sprint never downplays new phones because of too much remaining stock--they just push back the launch date till stock is at an acceptable level.

I mean which is it Aero: they really want to sell the Treo Pro, or they really want to sell the 800w? You can't have it both ways.
    The evidence clearly shows a scenario where they really wanted and needed to sell a CDMA Treo Pro, but needed to clear out the inventory on the 800w fist.

There is no logical contradiction you imply, in fact the data suggests exactly that, FIFO (foirst in first out) and nothing else! You gotta sell that old milk first my friend!

Given Palms record of casting around for whomever would take their phones and no particular loyalty to a carrier, for all we know they offered the Pro CDMA it to Verizon first
    Last edited by aero; 01/16/2009 at 05:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I am a business user with winmo and exchange and approve all phone purchases. It's either blackberry or winmo for us and we use winmo, no way would we go to a brand new platform until it has been on the market and proven. Changing employees computers/phones to bleeding edge technology is a good way to lose serious productivity in your business.
    There isnt just the inclination which you accurate cite, there is the actual fact of training, troubleshooting, security testing, prmulgation of support material by using insitutions etc.

Somehow people assume because technology is about modernity that big institutions just jump on the last thing to deploy to hundred or thousands of users that could create massive problems, costs and security issues.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    By the way, and I hate to post it here (and not doing a search), but does Gmail or Yahoo mail have true IMAP on WinMo? I'll have my work email through exchange, but I'd love to have the full effect with my Gmail accounts, and the Gmail app (at least on the blackberry) is a bit lacking.
    Of course you will. This isn't a Blackberry where you are locked down to doing things certain ways or using limited applications. WinMo devices have regular IMAP functionallity built in with a good number of 3rd party options available as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Respectfully what I see in the FCC docs from the Pro is just exactly that. Two extra pushbacks, requests by palm for delays in public release of information on Pro CDMA.

The evidence clearly shows a scenario where they really wanted and needed to sell a CDMA Treo Pro, but needed to clear out the inventory on the 800w fist.

There is no logical contradiction you imply, in fact the data suggests exactly that, FIFO (foirst in first out) and nothing else! You gotta sell that old milk first my friend!

Given Palms record of casting around for whomever would take their phones and no particular loyalty to a carrier, for all we know they offered the Pro CDMA it to Verizon first
    So Sprint screwed us twice? First they made us deal with the defective, buggy 800w's. Then they kept the Treo Pro from us in order to sell more defective, buggy 800w's? Ugh. At least we're only a week away from salvation!
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

I see a lot of assumptions being made here.

All we know is this:
    • Early September: Palm submits to the FCC
    • Early October: FCC Testing Complete--> heads to Sprint for testing
    • Late October: Treo Pro shows up testing on Sprint (DSL report)

It usually takes 2-3 months of carrier testing and back and forths for approval. Beginning of December, Palm requests this: "Now because of marketing requirements, we would like to move to a later time"--sure that could be because of too much 800w stock, but it also could be a host of other reasons too--we just don't know (and never will).

But still...now they are ready to launch, stock should be down. It's still low key--both in news coverage (no one has run the Pro-specs story...not even PIC), forum commentary and even Palm passed at CES. I suppose it's the Pre-effect, but they had to have seen that coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    First they made us deal with the defective, buggy 800w's
    I'm not sure customers playing victim is the right approach here. They call it a free market for a reason ;-) I prefer to take responsibility for my actions and investments in the world; evidently you prefer a different philosophy. Fair enough.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/16/2009 at 10:04 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The Treo Pro is old tech in CES terms, no way Palm was going to mention it there. CES is for the most cutting edge new tech, not a CDMA mod of something already on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    So Sprint screwed us twice? First they made us deal with the defective, buggy 800w's. Then they kept the Treo Pro from us in order to sell more defective, buggy 800w's? Ugh. At least we're only a week away from salvation!
    I would not go as far as to claim "salvation" but certainly an improvement over the 800w. Palm and Sprint marketed the 800w with what was in my opinion false statements about the device. Then months after release, made what I feel were bogus cover stories. It took more than 30 days for even Palm to be able to come up with their cover story. And after doing it all, many who seek to get a refund are turned down unless they force Palm's hand or hammer Sprint. Plenty of responsible customers purchased the 800w feeling Palm would stand by their warranty with far less hassle. Only because of Palm and Sprint's misrepresentation of the device was anyone left holding the bag. Anyone can get out of it, but Palm and Sprint sure made it harder than need be.
    I'm not sure customers playing victim is the right approach here. They call it a free market for a reason ;-) I prefer to take responsibility for my actions and investments in the world; evidently you prefer a different philosophy. Fair enough.
    Additionally no one forced you to keep the 800w.

Sprint offers a 30 day exchange program for a reason. People who kept their 800w post 30 days did so knowing all the issues, it wasn't like they used it for 30 days, and on day 31 went "Whoa! This phone is bigger than other phones!"
    Just to play devil's advocate, sort of (and assuming I'm interpreting correctly), I can see how someone might think that a commitment to the "latest and the greatest" means accepting the latest in a certain product line no matter what, even if it means living with something that is lacking in significant ways. And that therefore, they are owed compensation for the lost productivity or expected level of user satisfaction. Certainly I myself have at one point or another fallen prey to that kind of fallacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Additionally no one forced you to keep the 800w.

Sprint offers a 30 day exchange program for a reason. People who kept their 800w post 30 days did so knowing all the issues, it wasn't like they used it for 30 days, and on day 31 went "Whoa! This phone is bigger than other phones!"
    Palm needed over 30 days to figure out a lame response for their own GPS issue. For some time they could not even understand the problem. Some people may not have known about that problem till they left the states traveling. And some other issues may not have been known till after 30 days. Palm does offer a 1 year warranty though. Never mind 30 days, customers have a full year to notice and have defects resolved. Problem is Palm uses Sprint with their "30 days" line to try and shield from having to fulfill the 1 year part.

But customers with defects Palm has not addressed can get a full refund. That's the warranty. Problem is Palm won't fulfill that part of their 1 year warranty unless they are pressed by outside parties.

Nobody put a gun to anyone's head to keep the 800w, but leaving someone with a defective device and telling them their only option is to pay full price for another device is a pretty ugly means to make someone keep the 800w even if they find it to be defective. They can try and sell the defective device on Ebay, but the money made in an Ebay sale won't cover full price for most other smart phones. It leaves the customer having to pay extra for a case where the manufacturer fails to fulfill their end of the warranty. But they do fulfill their end when enough pressure is applied. Customers should not have to go to extremes with Palm just for them to fulfill their warranty.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast