Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It very well may have standalone, but not be advertised.

Still, given how standalone GPS is such a big deal, you'd think they'd advertise it. Unless, of course, it's not.....
    lol

All I know is Sprint rarely says "aGPS" unless it's really just aGPS. They almost always just say "GPS" regardless, so that sort of raised a red flag for me.

Doesn't matter for me as I really dig aGPS, but man..that's gotta be devastating for some people here who put so much emphasis on betting the 850w would have standalone. That's just gotta hurt if true.

Still, could be a typo so we'll see how it handles under tests.

Re: processor/battery/talk times

It's no secret that Qualcomm's latest MSM chipsets with the "dual" processors are not only power inefficient but lack in pure CPU speeds (hence why the 800w is rated higher than the GSM Treo Pro). That's why I think companies are looking to move to TI, Marvel, etc. for newer processors.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Why would they change it?

It's Standalone now, is it the different radio maybe?

Also;
    Battery standby time...
    Is another reason why the pro last only 10% longer than the 800 because the 800 doesn't demand as much on the processor because of this ? :
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=fast
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/16/2009 at 01:30 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Toggling aGPS/GPS on CDMA has always been tricky for whatever reasons (I blame Qualcomm, but they probably have their reasons too). The BlackBerry world phone on Sprint had the same problem (aGPS here, no GPS overseas--something about licensing).

Honestly, no one knows though. I'm hesitant to declare it one way or the other at this point, as spec sheets can be wrong. Still, it's odd and sticks out.

re: drivers, yeah...that is probably a factor. HTC has been very reluctant to use Qualcomm's drivers, once again I'm sure they have their reasons. They get around this by jacking up the CPU to give the illusion of speed, but it obviously has its limitations (graphic ripping in Opera, choppiness, slow re-draw). So that is possibly why the Treo Pro has a "faster" processor (400mhz) but is rated slower by SPB than the 800w's "slower" processor (333mhz).

Complicated stuff. Plus, GSM phones are supposedly slower than CDMA...once again for whatever reasons. We'll have to see how the Treo Pro holds up once released.

Yep, I guess we'll see.

Either way, Thanks for sharing Eli!
    Just call me Berd.
    Yeah. Too bad it takes a 30% bigger battery to get a 10% increase in talk time.

And since the talk time is the same as the GSM Pro, it's likely that the standby time is unchanged.
    Just manually cripple the LCD and the earpiece volume on the Treo Pro and then run the comparison again. LOL
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBiz View Post
    The Pre announcement is really taking a toll on this section of the discussion boards. I think I'm going to get a Sprint Treo Pro and wait on the Pre awhile. I use Exchange, Hotmail and Mesh. I do love the Zen of Palm though. I went back to my Centro from a Sprint Diamond before the 30 days were up. It was just that much more functional for me. I have been using Palm since Nov. 04 with the 650. I will probably get a Pre but not the first day.
    I was going to hand over my 800w to a coworker and get the Treo Pro. But since the Pre Announcment I think I will wait for the Pre. The 800w is doing the job. I don't think the Pro is going to be that much different than the 800w. Maybe I am wrong.

I wonder how well the Pros sales are going to do when people know the Pre will be coming. The Pre announcement changed my mind on buying a Pro.
    I guess there will be some that are dedicated WM fans. I like the WM OS, but I don't think I can resist the Pre. I have to have it. (I have a bad phone addiction)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Just manually cripple the LCD and the earpiece volume on the Treo Pro and then run the comparison again. LOL
    You think that effects standby time? And doesn't the screen turn off on the Pro during phone calls by default, unlike the 800w, negating any screen-dimness differences?

Hmmmm....I dunno nsxprime
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/16/2009 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joems View Post
    I wonder how well the Pros sales are going to do when people know the Pre will be coming. The Pre announcement changed my mind on buying a Pro.
    • for consumers: low
    • for treo 800w owners: low (it's a $550 battery upgrade)
    • for business users/700wx users: mid

The Pre stole a lot of thunder. Treo Pro will be a good enterprise device, which is what it is designed for (not consumers). Plus there was no mention in January's "Sprint Connections" advert which just came out today.

But how long will modest sales last? Probably not long. Why? Sprint is getting a CDMA 3G Blackberry Bold in Q2, which will crush the Treo Pro (unfortunately).

WM is falling behind big time. It's not really even Palm's fault here as MS needs to get 6.5 (and WM7) out the door with some serious "wow" power.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/16/2009 at 10:32 AM.

[QUOTE=Ebag333;1544380]Yeah. Too bad it takes a 30% bigger battery to get a 10% increase in talk time./QUOTE]

As most people know most of their battery use on a smartphoen is quite different than a dumb phone, and not about just talk and

Look at all the user tweaks. they are about things other than talk and standby time and people report that these adjustments, even though they reduce 800w utlity or speeds, make huge improvements in battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitf View Post
    How do you figure that? The Pro has a 30% larger battery than the 800w but only nets 11% longer talk time when comparing both published numbers. That points to a less than ideal relationship between maH and talk time, and considering the 800w is using an older MSM I would have expected that relationship to be reversed.
    These tests are notoriously inaccurate even for the specified function, talk and standby, and they are also only a very small portion of a smartphones usage.

It is perfectly possible also that given the poor battery in thw 800w Palm had made some "adjustments" for battery saving that harmed user experience and utility that they decided not to do again when they had a handset with enough battery in it as in the Pro.

AS fact as th amount of ballhoo and pushing by Palm and Sprint, we know the perfectly rational and in fact expected reason for them being hush hush as possible -- so they don't take a beating on remaining 800w stock.
    It very well may have standalone, but not be advertised.
    Still, given how standalone GPS is such a big deal, you'd think they'd advertise it. Unless, of course, it's not....
    On the standalone GPS, since Plam already has a legal liability and attempted to evade it by redefining the term outside of eveyrone else in the GPS worlds understanding of it, it woudl dig a liability hole if they now used it at all correctly or not!

Trying to parse what these guys say about it given eh problems they had in the first place is not realistic expectation.

It even may even emphasize lack of options on the Pre if it also fails to have standalone

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Doesn't matter for me as I really dig aGPS, but man..that's gotta be devastating for some people here who put so much emphasis on betting the 850w would have standalone. That's just gotta hurt if true.
    I think the people devastated are the 800w buyers as numerous blogs review sites noted and for "some people hear" who put so much emphasis on it making no sense for Palm to issue a CDMA pro since it would make the 800w buyers jealous. That has gotta hurt, and is true.
    The Pre cannabolized the sales of the PRO... I don't care what anyone says about Prosumer vs. Consumer vs. Business... blah blah blah.

What I am interested in is Sprint Music is supported by the Pro, but not the 800w, we need to get that from the ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    The Pre cannabolized the sales of the PRO... I don't care what anyone says about Prosumer vs. Consumer vs. Business... blah blah blah.
    cannibalization between different market devices by the same maker is marginal, and given that there are other makers there to eat you as well, increasingly marginal.

Enterprise pickup on the Pre wont start for 9 months or so. (the pre isnt even out!). Every win for a Palm competitor in WM/Enterpise is a loss for Palm. It need a product in the WM line for at least another year
    I know for a fact, NON business users who were going to wait for the PRO are now going to wait for the PRE. If the PRE isn't what they expect it to be in the next few months... via announcements and whatnot, they probably won't go to the PRO either (as it will be a year old device, starting from the GSM date).

You're talking market talk... I said prior... blah blah blah. It doesn't mean anything to non-business WM Treo Users... like myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I know for a fact, NON business users who were going to wait for the PRO are now going to wait for the PRE. If the PRE isn't what they expect it to be in the next few months... via announcements and whatnot, they probably won't go to the PRO either (as it will be a year old device, starting from the GSM date).

You're talking market talk... I said prior... blah blah blah. It doesn't mean anything to non-business WM Treo Users... like myself.
    I'll tell you what, all the talk about the Pre forcing the SE issue, by company officials as well as the rumor mill, has made me rethink about getting the Pro sooner rather than later even though I thought I was going to wait for the Pre once it was announced.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I am a business user with winmo and exchange and approve all phone purchases. It's either blackberry or winmo for us and we use winmo, no way would we go to a brand new platform until it has been on the market and proven. Changing employees computers/phones to bleeding edge technology is a good way to lose serious productivity in your business.
    I was just told that I'll be receiving a Sprint Treo Pro from work shortly before the launch date, so if anyone needs any info (or the ROM, which I see is in demand), let me know. I'm a big blackberry guy and I'll be learning WinMo, so I'm sure we can help each other out.
    Sprint needs to stop playing misleading word games.

Malatesta's article notes the Sprint Treo Pro will only have aGPS, but the provided spec sheet attempts to include the statement "Autonomous & Simultaneous GPS", when the device is only aGPS.

If the Sprint Treo Pro can't get the GPS radio going away from all cell radio signals it is not a true "Autonomous & Simultaneous GPS" device.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I might get the Pro because it is thinner than the 800w. True?

I am just afraid of the keypad because I read the Pro is like Centro?

How much you think a new Pro will sell for on ebay?
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    AS fact as th amount of ballhoo and pushing by Palm and Sprint, we know the perfectly rational and in fact expected reason for them being hush hush as possible -- so they don't take a beating on remaining 800w stock.
    If Sprint knew they were getting the Treo Pro in September (probably even earlier), you don't think they had enough time to plan their stock for the next 4 months? Sprint launching the Treo Pro is not a surprise to Sprint. That's the whole point of declaring a phone "EOL".

Sprint never downplays new phones because of too much remaining stock--they just push back the launch date till stock is at an acceptable level.

I mean which is it Aero: they really want to sell the Treo Pro, or they really want to sell the 800w? You can't have it both ways.

btw, you typing on a touch keypad? Because you're sure missing a lot of letters lately ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    I was just told that I'll be receiving a Sprint Treo Pro from work shortly before the launch date, so if anyone needs any info (or the ROM, which I see is in demand), let me know. I'm a big blackberry guy and I'll be learning WinMo, so I'm sure we can help each other out.
    If you get one soon, PM me.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/16/2009 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Sprint needs to stop playing misleading word games.

Malatesta's article notes the Sprint Treo Pro will only have aGPS, but the provided spec sheet attempts to include the statement "Autonomous & Simultaneous GPS", when the device is only aGPS.

If the Sprint Treo Pro can't get the GPS radio going away from all cell radio signals it is not a true "Autonomous & Simultaneous GPS" device.
    The part that concerns me with "wording" is how much people make purchases based on what they are expecting to get.

I find it unimaginably stupid that so little thought is put into making sure they say what it is.
    I know this is leaked, but misprints on products end up all over the place.

They have top people putting these products together, and then they have some min. wage nimrod type up the info that goes on the website,
    store flyer, or product box.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast