1.    #1  
    I'd like to purchase a single headset that can be used for MP3 playback, phone calls and digital voice recording (don't necessarily need to record the phone calls). Assuming Sprint comes through, I'll be upgrading my Treo 700p to the Treo Pro soon or, if that falls through, I may go with the 755p instead.

It would be nice, for example, to be able to answer a call while playing music without having to mess around with equipment at all - e.g. the headphones remain on my head the whole time and I only push a button to answer the call. I'm pretty sure most MP3 players will automatically pause the song -- I know Pocket Tunes does.

Similarly, it would be nice to pause a song and record some thoughts through the headset mic without having to hold the Treo up to my mouth.

Bluetooth is optional -- I really don't care much if it's wired or not. Edit: My favorite mobile headphones for music are the Sennheiser PX 100 -- over-the-head ("headband") or around-the-neck ("neckband") form factors are ideal for me.

Does anything like this actually exist? Suggestions? Advice? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by forteanajones; 01/16/2009 at 05:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I have used this... works well and pretty good battery life despite what the reviews says. I have gotten about 6+ hours steady playback (I don't use them much longer than that at a stretch):
    http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/any...-31624757.html

The picture in the review has some wire thing (mine doesnt have it)... but the model number and description are right, as well as the bigger pic. It does have a mini USB charger where the pic shows that 3.5mm plug. Mine looks like this:
    And it folds up like this:

I also use regular cell phone bluetooth headsets (e.g. my jawbone) for audio playback (mono), voice recording, and phone calls, they work fine too but you need some bluetooth audio redirector/gateway software Like VJ's tools:
    http://www.vijay555.com/?Releases:VJVolubilis
  3.    #3  
    The Anycom looks interesting. Pretty close I think.

The review says it "is susceptible to audio dropouts and interference, and it can't play very loud without distorting. There's also a delay between answering a cell phone and establishing an audio link with the headset.". I had a bluetooth headset for my PC about a year or so back and wound up not using it because of those same issues. I seem to recall that it was favorably reviewed. What have you found with the Anycom as far as that goes?
    Quote Originally Posted by forteanajones View Post
    Bluetooth is optional -- I really don't care much if it's wired or not.

Does anything like this actually exist? Suggestions? Advice? Thanks in advance!
    I've been using the Jabra 8010 for some time, now. You can use one piece for "normal" use (including listening to music) or connect the 2nd earpiece & have stereo for everything. It does have some controls, but I rarely use them from the headset. Audio is quite good.

HTH

Bill
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    I've been using the Jabra 8010 for some time, now. You can use one piece for "normal" use (including listening to music) or connect the 2nd earpiece & have stereo for everything. It does have some controls, but I rarely use them from the headset. Audio is quite good.

HTH

Bill
    I think the Treo Pro supports bluetooth stereo, correct? (Sounds like it does).

When you're playing music and a phone call comes in, can you answer with just the click of a button on the headset, or do you have to unplug a cord? Does the Treo speaker ring or do you hear it over the music on the headset, or putting it another way, have you had the following experience?

http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/blu...ra_bt8010.html

On both the T-Mobile MDA and the Palm Treo 750v, I experienced an unsettling bug. If you set the BT8010 as your Bluetooth "Wireless Stereo", then both of these PPC devices routed ALL of their audio through the Bluetooth headset - including button-click sounds and - get this: ringtones. Absolutely not cool. Getting the sound back required either turning off the BT8010 (which is thankfully easy given that it has an off-switch) or disabling the headset as a wireless stereo device manually via the Bluetooth settings. In some cases the BT8010 still ended up hijacking all system sound anyway. On the bright side, Play, Pause, and Next all worked fine when controlling it from the BT8010.
    Also, have you tried voice or phone call recording? Do you speak into the Jabra mic for voice recording? How's the quality?

Thanks, kraski!
  6.    #6  
    Anyone know if the Jabra 8010 will work on a 700p? It may be a month or two before I can upgrade to the Treo Pro, but would love to start testing this stuff now if possible.

Looks like the BT8010 has been out for a while, and Jabra is no longer even actively promoting it (mobile products page). I know this is actually a good thing in that they're cheaper now, but I wonder about the newer BT8040 - is it equivalent? It looks smaller, for one thing.

How good are the dettachable accessories that fit over the top of the head like standard headphones? Also, I'm not too keen on the hookless wearing style.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    The Anycom looks interesting. Pretty close I think.

The review says it "is susceptible to audio dropouts and interference, and it can't play very loud without distorting. There's also a delay between answering a cell phone and establishing an audio link with the headset.". I had a bluetooth headset for my PC about a year or so back and wound up not using it because of those same issues. I seem to recall that it was favorably reviewed. What have you found with the Anycom as far as that goes?
    The BSH-100 I have is pretty solid. I don't get dropouts and such. The delays for phone calls are non-existent. That review was pretty harsh as I have not experience many of the limitations noted in that review and been very happy with my headset.

I also have the jabra 8030, which supports A2DP even without two speakers. I was a nice purchase (I got it for $49 from newegg on sale). You may also want to take a look at the Jabra 3030 (dogtag).
    I think the Treo Pro supports bluetooth stereo, correct? (Sounds like it does).

When you're playing music and a phone call comes in, can you answer with just the click of a button on the headset, or do you have to unplug a cord? Does the Treo speaker ring or do you hear it over the music on the headset, or putting it another way, have you had the following experience?
    Yes, a button on the headset answers a call. If you're playing music, it'll pause for the call. And, if you're using both earpieces, the call will be in both. If you're using just the main earpiece, all the functions still work -- just in one ear. :-)

The ringer rings on the phone when BT is connected, unless you lower the appropriate audio volume or turn off phone sounds with the switch. In either case, the 8010 has its own buzz & vibration through the headset. But, if you have custom ringtones for various contacts, they ring on the phone only. That's one time I'd like to see the "incorrect" behavior. Part of my use of BT is so my phone ringing isn't heard around me -- but I hate to lose the custom ringer IDs.

Also, there is some control for music on the headset. Now, if I'd only RT*M, I could tell you how (other than start/stop & volume). :-) Getting back to your first question, the TP does support stereo BT. And the audio on the 8010 is as good as (if not better than) some of my favorite wired earbuds.

Also, have you tried voice or phone call recording? Do you speak into the Jabra mic for voice recording? How's the quality?

Thanks, kraski!
    I haven't done any kind of recording with the TP, so I can't help on that. But the audio quality is excellent for phone calls. The Jabra is apparently somewhat less directional than the phone itself. I have had comments about my being in a noisy area more often with the 8010 than when I'm just using the phone. But always only when the surroundings really are noisy & never in reference to having a hard time hearing me.

To sum it up, if I had to replace them or replace a wired headset with something, I'd buy another 8010.
    Last edited by kraski; 01/15/2009 at 11:52 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Excellent, thanks again.

I'm currently looking for a store that has a set for me to actually try out. Over time, I've come to learn that I have a really hard time getting away from the over-the-head form factor for headphones (plus the fact that cans are easier on the ears). For this reason, I wish someone would make a product exactly like the Sennheiser PX100 but with a mic.

But if this really is as well-designed and easy to use as it sounds, I'll definitely give it a shot when I find a pair to try on.
    ...cans are easier on the ears). For this reason, I wish someone would make a product exactly like the Sennheiser PX100 but with a mic.

But if this really is as well-designed and easy to use as it sounds, I'll definitely give it a shot when I find a pair to try on.
    Wasn't sure WHERE to stick in the VBG notation. It's been a LONG time since I've been in broadcasting, but that's the only place I've heard headphones referred to as "cans". Brings back fond memories -- like putting electrical tape over the outside openings of my Sennheisers so I wouldn't get feedback in the mike. :-)

Good luck finding 8010s in a store. I never did. My past experience with a JX10 & Jabra's reputation convinced me to try them. It didn't hurt finding a deal I've never seen since, either. :-)
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, exactly, the online deals I'm seeing for both products are pretty compelling! Almost worth risking the shipping $ to try and return.

Still open to additional suggestions (see my form factor comment above).
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    6 months later, but i just got the platronics 850. comes with a detached ear bud for stereo, but works without. i like it very much so far.
    WHEW HEW! What a ride!