1.    #1  
    Ok. When I get to work, I turn off my phone because I work in a dungeon and it is impossible to get service. I noticed every so often I would check my phone halfway through the day and the battery has dropped to 60%

Keep in mind, I have not used the phone AT ALL.

So I decided to do some investigatory magnifying glass type stuff...

While my battery was rapidly discharging itself (or so it seemed), I took a look at the system processes to find out what was using my cpu so much. The radio was off, so it couldn't be that anymore. I had all applications closed, but the system processes revealed that shell32.exe was sitting at a steady 20% cpu load. WTF!!!
    So I was thinking to myself, "Self, maybe it's because you have the process manager open and it needs 20% cpu power to display the constantly updating process usage."

So to investigate further, I did a soft reset and found that shell32.exe was idling at a lovely 0-2% I noticed that my battery would only drop by about 1-2% for the REST OF THE DAY.

Could this be the cause of all of these battery life complaints? Some days I can leave my radio on all day and my battery will last me from morning to night while making short phone calls. I have a habit of checking shell32.exe and I am very confident that this is the root of my battery woes.

Any help? A simple, "Just set up a schedule to reset your phone every so X often." is not a solution. This is a problem with the operating system. I have also noticed that it happens after a hard reset. Have fun!

Plz help
    Last edited by kaptainchump; 01/18/2009 at 03:01 PM.
    Dunno what to say really. It's not normal.

Did you go through Ebag's trouble shooting guide in the FAQ? Have you tried the same scenario after a hard-reset to server as a control?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Did you ever figure this one out?

As near as I can tell, there is no such thing on WM6.1; I don't have a system32.exe running, nor is it present in the file system.

A quick search on google shows this to be a Windows (desktop) virus, were you looking at your PC?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Did you ever figure this one out?

As near as I can tell, there is no such thing on WM6.1; I don't have a system32.exe running, nor is it present in the file system.

A quick search on google shows this to be a Windows (desktop) virus, were you looking at your PC?
    No i didn't figure it out.

Try this,
    Open up the default task manager that came with the treo 800w,
    click menu -> view -> processes

aww crap...i just realized i made a typo.
    I meant to say shell32.exe
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    No i didn't figure it out.

Try this,
    Open up the default task manager that came with the treo 800w,
    click menu -> view -> processes

aww crap...i just realized i made a typo.
    I meant to say shell32.exe
    Okay, that makes ALOT more sense.

shell32.exe is the today screen manager and is responsible for servicing today plugins. If it's gone haywire, chances are you have a misbehaving today plugin. If it happens again, try to selectively disable your today plugins one-by-one to see if you can narrow it down.
    weatherpanel?
  7.    #7  
    The only today screen plugins i have enabled are:
    date,tasks,birthdays (by david andr), and calendar. So pretty much the only third party app is the birthdays application. I tried increasing the amount of time between refreshes from 30 seconds to 300 seconds to see if that helps. Maybe the application is scanning all of my contacts every 30 seconds to see if there are new birthdays? idk