Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have the OEM battery in my 800w (1150mAh). I am planning on buying the Treo Pro (not the Pre). If i buy the Seidio extended battery for the Pro (which is 1650mAh, this equals = 500 mAh increase.

If every 200mAh = 15% increase (based on what Seidio claims), this means i would see approximately 37.5% increase in talk time!?

Which calculates out to about 100 extra minutes of talk time!

The only real complaint i have with the 800w is the battery life. So this SHOULD solve my problem! Is my math correct?
    Couple of things....

1) Different phones have different requirements. The Pro is not as battery efficient as the 800w.

2) There are more ways of measuring power usage than simply talk time and standby time.

3) Comparing the CDMA 800w to GSM Pro, there is a 30% increase in battery capacity.

4) Comparing the CDMA 800w to GSM Pro, there is only a 10% increase in talk time. (4.5 hours to 5 hours)

5) Comparing the CDMA 800w to GSM Pro, there is only a 25% increase in standby time. (200 hours to 250 hours)

6) We don't know all the times and details yet for the CDMA Pro, so we'd just be guessing at the differences between the GSM Pro, and the CDMA Pro.

Long story short? You can't use one phone to estimate the battery time of a different phone.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Couple of things....

1) Different phones have different requirements. The Pro is not as battery efficient as the 800w.

2) There are more ways of measuring power usage than simply talk time and standby time.

3) Comparing the CDMA 800w to GSM Pro, there is a 30% increase in battery capacity.

4) Comparing the CDMA 800w to GSM Pro, there is only a 10% increase in talk time. (4.5 hours to 5 hours)

5) Comparing the CDMA 800w to GSM Pro, there is only a 25% increase in standby time. (200 hours to 250 hours)

6) We don't know all the times and details yet for the CDMA Pro, so we'd just be guessing at the differences between the GSM Pro, and the CDMA Pro.

Long story short? You can't use one phone to estimate the battery time of a different phone.
    Interesting.. And just for future reference, I am talking about the CDMA Pro. Not planning on getting the GSM version.

But with the Seidio extended battery in the Pro vs. the oem battery in the 800w, should i notice a considerable difference?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    Interesting.. And just for future reference, I am talking about the CDMA Pro. Not planning on getting the GSM version.
    Right, but the CDMA Pro isn't released and there aren't any specs to go by.
    I have the OEM battery in my 800w (1150mAh). I am planning on buying the Treo Pro (not the Pre). If i buy the Seidio extended battery for the Pro (which is 1650mAh, this equals = 500 mAh increase.

If every 200mAh = 15% increase (based on what Seidio claims), this means i would see approximately 37.5% increase in talk time!?

Which calculates out to about 100 extra minutes of talk time!

The only real complaint i have with the 800w is the battery life. So this

SHOULD solve my problem! Is my math correct?
    First, your first premise has incorrect numbers in that the pro comes with a stock 1500ma. so you are only getting 150 mah increase with a 1650 battery, if neither siedio not palm are over or underestimating the mah.

Second because it is a smartphone, most of the draw you are using may not be talk and standby time. for example a dumb phone with that size battery could last 7-10 days.

presumably the screen, irda, bluetooth, mp3 playback, video playback, data use while on the web or using email, the camera, etc would have little difference between the two models. the gps has some differences but this could be slightly more or less efficient in between the models depending on how you use it. The processor on the Pro probably has an ever so slightly higher draw but maybe not. You are left with some efficiency differences.

It is possible the pro in CDMA is going to be as efficient or slightly more efficient ten the 800w though simply because newer technology with the same is more efficient, we just don't know yet. higher efficiency would have little impact on talk and standby time though since the average use draws in polls show hugely lower real life results than the standby/talk times which are often not a reality in themselves anyway.

Battery life on the 800w has been a huge complaint. Even users here reported they could get though a business day on the poll and reported going the longest have posted they purchased extra batteries or extended batteries!

an actual 150 ma increase from 1500 to 1650 is, if the battery is the same manufacture quality going to give you between 10 to 13% more usable life before you hit low battery warning and the difference will increase slightly the more you use the battery because under capacity batteries drop their max capacity faster..

For a 150 ma difference I would recommend the following:

1) if you are away from your own power sources a lot get the battery or a second 1500 based on price, but use it as a swappable spare.
    2) if you are near power sources a lot (commute by car vs train etc) invest instead in usb to micro cables everywhere you have a pc, a good car charger (oem motorola from a reputable ebay seller), a wall charger for work, etc.
  6.    #6  
    First, your first premise has incorrect numbers in that the pro comes with a stock 1500ma. so you are only getting 150 mah increase with a 1650 battery, if neither siedio not palm are over or underestimating the mah.
    I never said anything about the stock Pro battery. I said that when I buy the Pro, I will go ahead and buy the Seidio Extended battery. So I am comparing the stock 800w battery (1150mAh) to the Seidio Extended battery (1650mAh) for the Pro.

1650 minus 1150 = 500mAh

Based on what we know so far about the Treo Pro, shouldn't i see a noticeable difference with the EXTENDED battery in the Pro vs. the STANDARD battery in the 800w?

But with the Seidio extended battery in the Pro vs. the oem battery in the 800w, should i notice a considerable difference?
    When we know the numbers for the CDMA Treo Pro, then we can answer your question. Not a minute before.
  8.    #8  
    When we know the numbers for the CDMA Treo Pro, then we can answer your question. Not a minute before.
    All I can say is, i REALLY hope the stock battery in the CDMA Pro has better life than the stock battery in the 800w.. That would truly be a shame if it were the same or worse...
    I never said anything about the stock Pro battery. I said that when I buy the Pro, I will go ahead and buy the Seidio Extended battery. So I am comparing the stock 800w battery (1150mAh) to the Seidio Extended battery (1650mAh) for the Pro.

1650 minus 1150 = 500mAh

Based on what we know so far about the Treo Pro, shouldn't i see a noticeable difference with the EXTENDED battery in the Pro vs. the STANDARD battery in the 800w?
    Yes and my point is that you are comparing two different phones. Since you are asking about the advisably of buying a sedei extended for the pro, I was saying that your real calculation is what will the pro be like with a 10% larger battery. It will be 10% more or less better of that seido battery is good quality (not a certainty).

I think both of us responding to you are trying to give the best advice.

It is very very likely you will see in the range of between 10% to 50% better battery life on the the Pro CDMA vs the 800w CDMA, but we don't know, and even after it comes out it is going to depend on what your mix of phone and standby vs the other 20 functions and features are. Some of these maybe more efficient and some less efficient.

If your decision is about whether to buy the seideio battery for the Pro. I tis doubtful whether the Seidio battery are going to go up in price in the interim, and whether spending $56 for that battery is wiser than than buying a spare stock or more charger options can wait.

"doing the math" is a difficult premise because there are a score of variables in hardware, the carrier technology, and most importantly usage.
    All I can say is, i REALLY hope the stock battery in the CDMA Pro has better life than the stock battery in the 800w.. That would truly be a shame if it were the same or worse...
    You can count on that. With the Seidio battery, the 500mAh difference in capacity equates to a increase of nearly 45%!

Remember though that Palm crippled the brightness of the screen on the 800w to try to compensate for the poor battery capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You can count on that. With the Seidio battery, the 500mAh difference in capacity equates to a increase of nearly 45%!
    And if only that 45% battery capacity increase resulted in a 45% increase in talk/standby/etc times. Unfortunately it doesn't.

Remember though that Palm crippled the brightness of the screen on the 800w to try to compensate for the poor battery capacity.
    Additionally HTC did not provide as many tweaks to improve battery life as Palm did. There are several settings in the NV that are set that will use more battery, heartbeat for exchange/activesync is not as efficient, the Pro has a faster CPU (but actually runs slower) which means there's more power use there.....

There's a lot of different factors at play that cause one phone to be more (or less) power efficient than another.
    I'm glad that HTC didn't feel the need to "tweak" the LCD or earpiece volume levels like Palm was forced to with the 800w. Yuck.
    lol, did you just say "yuck"?

HTC doesn't tweak their stuff, they outsource their tweaking to the customers. Icky.

rotflmao

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

HTC doesn't tweak their stuff, they outsource their tweaking to the customers. Icky.

rotflmao
    You are correct. That's why XDA is around. Someone has to 'tweak' the HTC products.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

rotflmao
    Aren't you a mod on ppcgeeks? LOL

Looks like the Treo Pro's talk and standby times crush the 800w's. Love it.

I wouldn't say 10% more "crushes" the 800w, especially given that the battery is 30% larger.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    You are correct. That's why XDA is around. Someone has to 'tweak' the HTC products.
    And the 800w does not have its share of tweaks made by people other than Palm?

I think most 800w owners would enjoy having the kind of 3rd party support XDA provides for HTC devices.

The Treo 800w and Treo Pro are PALM DEVICES. If HTC is to carry the blame for anything negative regarding the Treo Pro, than Inventec gets credit for anything good in the 800w. But the Pro and 800w are Palm devices, so credit and blame fall on Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The Treo 800w and Treo Pro are PALM DEVICES. If HTC is to carry the blame for anything negative regarding the Treo Pro, than Inventec gets credit for anything good in the 800w. But the Pro and 800w are Palm devices, so credit and blame fall on Palm.
    That's not quite true.

The 800w is a completely in-house designed and setup phone.

The Pro is almost entirely done by HTC.

Just comparing the two ROM's makes it abundantly clear that Palm was very deep into the 800w, but had very little to do with the Pro's ROM.

The 800w is a phone where Palm said "build me this" to Inventec. The Pro is more of a "build us a phone with these sort of specs and general design, but you handle pretty much everything."
    The 800w is a phone where Palm said "build me this" to Inventec. The Pro is more of a "build us a phone with these sort of specs and general design, but you handle pretty much everything."
    I was not in the room when those decisions were made so I can't say.

But no matter what occurred behind closed doors, the bottom line is that both are PALM devices. Palm accepted what PALM paid ODMs to do and PALM released them with PALM's brand. Palm had the option to do with the devices as they pleased prior to release. All credit and all blame falls on Palm. If the Touch Pro lacks anything it is because PALM failed to address it prior to releasing THEIR product. If the 800w excels in anything than PALM did well to address it prior to releasing THEIR product.

Palm had the option to address issues themselves through their own team of developers or toss it back to the ODM and tell the ODM the device is unacceptable as delivered.
    Treo Pro is overwhelmingly an HTC device. It was their design and Palm just puts their name on it. It's actually 90% HTC/10% Palm, but same diff. It's cheaper for Palm to outsource which is what they decided when Elevation started calling shots. The 800w was a Palm design and Inventec was just sourced to make it. No one has to believe me on those statements but I stand behind them--this is me being serious for a second.

Still, I agree that Palm takes responsibility for what is released, regardless of who makes it. But they are only as good as their ODM.

Actually, I helped ppcgeeks get started w/ Mike and I'm a global moderator hippity ;-) but what has that to do with anything here? It's a volunteer position--no pay, no glory.

I'm shocked that the apparent lack of standalone GPS on the Sprint Treo Pro has not phased you at all. Certainly a surprising turn around! rotflmao
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/16/2009 at 01:29 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast