Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I just purchased the phone on Saturday...
    I have not dont any updates, downloads, etc..

Phone works great.
    I have not played around with it enough yet to get the full potential though.
    Sync to work email is about it.

My question, I have 1.03 version.

Do I need an update?
    If yes, why?
    Nothing is wrong so far, par se, but I dont want to update and have problems all of a sudden...

Just want some thoughts on this really.

Thanks.
    There are several small updates I would suggest getting which can be found via the stickied thread at the top of this forum...

Other then that, there are no ROM updates so you will remain @ 1.03.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by UCFgrad05 View Post
    I just purchased the phone on Saturday...
    Did you know it's possible that Sprint will release a version of the Treo Pro on 1/25/2009?

Given you just made your purchase on Saturday, the 25th will be well within your 30 day time frame to return the 800w and get a Treo Pro if they release as speculated and you want one.
    and since it is an HTC device, it may well be worth considering. I went through 3 800W devices and just gave up - migrated to a Touch Pro. I gave up one-handed operation and a real comfort level for a device that is much more stable with fewer issues.
    As Darnell said, it may be worth trying the Treo Pro if/when it's released.

For what it's worth, the majority of people are quite happy with their 800w. If you like it and it works for you, stick with it.

But definitely look at the stickied thread at the top of the forum, there are a lot of great fixes in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    and since it is an HTC device, it may well be worth considering. I went through 3 800W devices and just gave up - migrated to a Touch Pro. I gave up one-handed operation and a real comfort level for a device that is much more stable with fewer issues.
    Maybe it's because I'm left handed or something, but I thought I'd have issues with the Touch Pro and one handed typing. But with the full soft qwerty I'm doing one handed typing with no problems. The full soft qwerty has bigger buttons than I had on my 800w's hard keyboard. But it seems my ease of use one handed with the full soft qwerty is an exception.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I had to make a move.
    I purchased a Centro on 12/27
    It wouldnt sync with work email (Palm OS issue)...
    So I needed to act fast - I only have the 30 days.

Wait until 1/25 and get a Pro? What if they all sold out and I was stuck with the Centro? I wouldnt be able to use it for work.

So I made a call and got the 800w.

Now, I guess a better question is this, can I do multiple exchanges in the 30 day cycle?

Thanks.
    I would try to anyway. I am not sure what the limit is. I'm sure there is one because some ***** who probably traded up every 29 days and ruined it for everyone.

I would be pissed if I signed a 2 year contract on a device that is discontinued 30 days later. I would use that line on Sprint.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I would be pissed if I signed a 2 year contract on a device that is discontinued 30 days later. I would use that line on Sprint.
    Try using that line at the dealership.

"I bought a 2008 model and got a 5 year loan on it, and it wasn't being made in 2009! You should give me a 2009 model, for free!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

"I bought a 2008 model and got a 5 year loan on it, and it wasn't being made in 2009! You should give me a 2009 model, for free!"
    Here is some non-discontinued advice. Quit buying "Fiero" type products. First the 800 and now your 2008 vehicle. If they are being discontinued you may want to run.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    [QUOTE=VibrantRedGT;1543607If they are being discontinued you may want to run.[/QUOTE]

So I guess buying a Touch Pro is out the the question then. They're getting discontinued.... (eventually )

If you don't know the situation of what you're buying when you buy it, it's no ones fault but your own. I have a friend who loves Fiero's (and they ARE fun to drive). The trade-off of working on it all the time is worth it to him to drive it.

Not what I'd choose, but I can't said he didn't get into it with his eyes screwed shut.
    I had a friend who owned an 86 Fiero. In my younger days I was an ASE certified Service Tech for Chevy. I worked on that thing a lot. This is why if something is peice of crap then gets cancelled I call it a Fiero.

Yes, the Touch Pro will eventually be discontinued but for me I'm usually long gone before then. In the OP's case I wouldn't sign up for a 2 year contract right now with an 800. In two weeks he can have the Treo Pro which is a better device.

And pay 3-5 times the price.

If the 800w works just fine for someone, then why not take advantage of the excellent price?

If Sprint is completely dumping the 800w like you and so many others claim, then assuming I have insurance on my 800w, I should be able to get upgraded to a Pro for no charge. (Heck, Darnell and others are saying that you can get upgraded to a Pro for no charge anyway.)

If the differences between the Pro and 800w aren't an issue for a user, then why tell people to buy the more expensive phone, just because Sprint's not selling it anymore?

I wouldn't tell someone who wants to buy a new car to get a 2009 when you can buy a 2008 that's nearly identicle for 20% less.

As I always say, try 'em both, and if they both work equally well for you, go with the cheaper one. If one works better for you, than go with that.

I steer people away from WM devices all the time (my mom asked me if she should get a Touch Pro.....now *THAT* would be a bad match). I steered her away from the 800w because the battery doesn't last long enough for her (she kills her 700wx's battery in half a day).

The user should pick the phone, and while there are some truly BAD phones out there, the 800w isn't one. The majority of the big issues for it have been resolved (either by Palm, or by us). Most of the remaining issues (such as GPS) are non-issues for most people.

*shrug*
    He signed up for a new contract so it won't cost him 3-5 times more in price for the Treo Pro. If the 800 is $249 with a 2 year contract then we all know the Treo Pro will right around there. Hell he can get a new one off Ebay for less without signing a contract. If he is buying it outright then yes he can save some dough. He is still under the 30 day trial. However he did exchange for the Centro so it's unclear if he can switch to the Treo Pro.

The user should pick the phone, and while there are some truly BAD phones out there, the 800w isn't one. The majority of the big issues for it have been resolved (either by Palm, or by us). Most of the remaining issues (such as GPS) are non-issues for most people.

*shrug*

True, to the point and cannot be any clearer...
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    I don't see why you can't do multiple exchanges. Ebag has mentioned Sprint has let his mom do it.

What does a dealership have to do with it? It is the least analogous transaction.

As far as I know dealerships do not -- in order to entice buyers of 24 months of service 10 times the cost of the appliance through which the service is delivered, offer 30 day no question asked return policies.

Sprint has this 30 day policy for their own good, so people don't just say after 29 days: "I want neither the phone nor the service" This would cost Sprint $300 (by its estimates), for zero return. Sprint needs this especially since it has been losing market share and need to tell people that at least trying is low risk.

The 800w has been a nightmare for Sprint and many of the buyers. With credible long time sprint employees saying they steer people away it is no accident

It was superseded by the more advanced model because those problems.

Your analogy may be kinda out there, but I agree. Saying they quit making them is also like me going into Best Buy and buying a Samsung Blu Ray player. Do I really expect the exact model will be there in 6 months? Do I really care? All I care about is if the unit does what I want it to do and will they honor the warranty if something happens to it.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 800W will do what 'most' need/want it to do. There's no need for the continuing bashing of any of these products. If they serve the purpose for an individual then they do what they are needed to do. People come here and ask a simple question and instantly you get "stay away from the 800W" (or something to that). The problem is, this is mainly from one, two, maybe three people (notice how I left names off). The 'vast' majority of us have not complained to the point of banishing the device. Yes, we have all had issues/concerns. There's not an electronic device yet that I have bought that I wished wouldn't do something different, or better once I got it home and started learning it.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

The 800w has been a nightmare for Sprint and many of the buyers. With credible long time sprint employees saying they steer people away it is no accident

It was superseded by the more advanced model because those problems.
    Interesting. In our area, the 800W sells as fast as Sprint can get them and very few are returned. The Touch Pro does sell out fast as well, but according to the stores, they don't get as many Touch Pro's as they do 800W's.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by UCFgrad05 View Post

Now, I guess a better question is this, can I do multiple exchanges in the 30 day cycle?

Thanks.
    If Sprint will allow someone to do the following, I don't see why not:

Sprint let my mom use 5 devices (yes, 5 ) at the same time. She could only have one activated at a time, but she had them all so she could play with them.

Even without the phones being activated you can get a real good feel for how they work, and it's relatively quick (usually an hour tops) to activate a phone if you want to use it for a while.
    UCFgrad05, if you ask, what's the worst they can say? No? Just be nice about it and ask. So long as you're within 30 days, you've got them at YOUR mercy.

And for the discussion about 800w sales, Best Buy pulled it way back. If it was a national hot seller, Best Buy would still sell it. Either the 800w really is not a hot national seller, or all the retailers are insane.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast