Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I had/have a problem with my new email notification. I can't find where anyone has had a similar issue.

    My "new email notification" stopped working today. I haven't installed anything new. The bubble that usually comes up stopped working and no sound or vibrations. I did a soft reset twice and it didn't fix the problem. I verified the setting under "sounds and notifications" and all seems fine there. Finally, frustrated, I did a third soft reset and the notifications (sound/vibrate/bubble) are back.

    I can't imagine what might've caused this.
    Anyone else have this kind of problem? Or anyone know what might've happened?

    Thanks,
    Shannon
  2. #2  
    Check the 800w FAQ thread (stickied). There's a fix for alarm/notifications linked there.

    It's in the 800w section, but will work for any WM phone.

    This *COULD* be your problem, if you have too many alarms/notifications.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Check the 800w FAQ thread (stickied). There's a fix for alarm/notifications linked there.

    It's in the 800w section, but will work for any WM phone.

    This *COULD* be your problem, if you have too many alarms/notifications.
    Thank you very much for the quick reply.
    I went to the sticky you mentioned and changed the default values (mine were 5) to avoid problems in the future with this type of thing.

    Having said that, I don't believe that is my issue.

    Since my first posting I have noticed this:
    I have a couple of pop3 email accounts that I check manually and an Exchange Server account that I have the TP get mail on "as items arrive".
    So, if I exit Pocket Outlook with one of my pop3 accounts on the screen then I get no notification when I receive a mail message that comes to the exchange account. If, however, I exit Pocket Outlook with the exchange account on the screen I get all notifications as I should.

    This, of course, doesn't seem right but I've sent myself tons of test messages and that is the way that it is working for me. I seem to remember an old device of mine working this way a long time ago.

    Can anyone else confirm this? Anyone know of a fix as I'd like to get my notification regardless of what was on the screen when I exited Pocket Outlook last.

    Thanks folks,
    Shannon
  4.    #4  
    Ok, after more experimentation I'm not sure what I wrote above it right.
    It also seems that after I receive an email and open it the close that application the following messages that come in will not trigger any notification of any kind. This is without changing to another email account at all. I've stricly been in my exchange account.
    So, the bottom line for me is once I get an email notification and then read that email - I won't get any other notifications of new email.
    Strange... it appears that turning the phone off/on will reset it somehow and then I'll get notification again. Until I open Pocket Outlook and then it starts all over again...
    I have no idea what else to check.
    Any ideas?
    Thank,
    Shannon
    Last edited by scollins; 01/11/2009 at 05:35 PM.
  5. #5  
    It appears that the application captures the email.
    This explain why you get a notification of the first email. On this notification you open your email app. Further mail bypasses the system and goes directly into the app.
    Hitting the 'X' does not close the app generally.

    Maybe you can change something in pocket outlook?
  6.    #6  
    I have my device set so that tapping the "x" closes apps.
    I've also checked the task manager to be sure that P.O. isn't remaining open.
    I can't find any setting inside of P.O. that I might change to make any sort of difference with this, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.
    I've tried everything I know except for a hard reset. uggh.
  7.    #7  
    I just completed a hard reset. With nothing on the device at all. I had the same exact results.

    Can someone else let me know if they have problems with this? Or am I the only one?

    Thanks,
    Shannon
  8. #8  
    Can you walk us through what you did, step by step, after you hard reset?

    I'm not sure I'm following exactly what the problem is..
  9.    #9  
    Sure.
    After the hard reset I did nothing except for add the exchange server to activesync on the TP. It connected fine and downloaded my mail, contacts etc.

    Then I used my desktop to send myself a few test messages from a different account. The first message that popped up had the notifications that it should vibrate/text bubble/sound , but after I opened P.O. to check that message and the closed P.O. any following messages that came through had no notification whatsoever. The only indication I would have would be on the today plugin it would change from "no unread messages" to "1 unread message".
    Thanks very much for any ideas/help.
    Shannon
    Last edited by scollins; 01/11/2009 at 10:54 PM.
  10.    #10  
    UPDATE:

    I called Palm this morning about this. They were very nice and helpful.
    First, they had me add a pop3 account and test if it was happening with that as well. It's not. Pop3 seems to be fine. It apparently is only happening with an exchange account. I have exchange '07 and I didn't have this problem with my Treo 750 running winmo 6.0.

    Next they tested it themselves with a TP and duplicated the problem that I'm having. They agreed that it shouldn't be happening and said the issue hasn't been raised before. The tech did refer to it as a bug and said it would be escalated and they would call me back one week from today to discuss their findings.

    Hopefully they'll find a solution and it'll be quick and easy.
  11. #11  
    Ouch, that's a nasty bug.

    This doesn't happen on the 800w, so it's something specific to the Pro looks like.

    Hopefully Palm can get it resolved rather quickly.
  12. #12  
    I sent myself a test email, and my "new email notification" is working fine.The bubble pops up with sound (beep) just fine.

    I use 4smartphone.com (Exchange Service)

    I sent myself three emails, and they all worked fine.


    Just call me Berd.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    ...clip...

    Since my first posting I have noticed this:
    I have a couple of pop3 email accounts that I check manually and an Exchange Server account that I have the TP get mail on "as items arrive".
    So, if I exit Pocket Outlook with one of my pop3 accounts on the screen then I get no notification when I receive a mail message that comes to the exchange account. If, however, I exit Pocket Outlook with the exchange account on the screen I get all notifications as I should.

    ...clip...
    Sorry,

    After reading the above, I realize I haven't really done an appropriate test.
    I was just checking with exchange only.
    I don't have my Pro d/l pop accounts, I have all forwarded to 4smartphone.
    Just call me Berd.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Sorry,

    After reading the above, I realize I haven't really done an appropriate test.
    I was just checking with exchange only.
    I don't have my Pro d/l pop accounts, I have all forwarded to 4smartphone.

    First - thank you very much for testing.

    Maybe you did test correctly. It should go something like this:
    On your exchange account.
    Send yourself a test message from another computer.
    Receive the test message and hopefully get a notification/chime/vibration. Open and read the message.
    Close P.O.
    Immediately send yourself another test message.
    - No notification - at least for me and the folks at Palm.

    Could you verify that this is what you've done and either working or not?
    Thanks again,
    Shannon
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    First - thank you very much for testing.

    Maybe you did test correctly. It should go something like this:
    On your exchange account.
    Send yourself a test message from another computer.
    Receive the test message and hopefully get a notification/chime/vibration. Open and read the message.
    Close P.O.
    Immediately send yourself another test message.
    - No notification - at least for me and the folks at Palm.

    Could you verify that this is what you've done and either working or not?
    Thanks again,
    Shannon
    Mine seems to be working okay.

    I first Sent myself a test message from another computer.
    I receive the test message and get a notification and beep-beep.
    I immediately opened and read the message.
    Then I closed P.O.
    I immediately sent my self another message from my computer,
    and I again receive the test message and get a notification/beep-beep.

    It'd prolly be nice to get another Pro user to confirm.
    Just call me Berd.
  16. CDG
    CDG is offline
    CDG's Avatar
    Posts
    467 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    #16  
    Sorry I wish I could try but I only use POP3, we are not allowed to download from the Exchange Server.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Mine seems to be working okay.

    I first Sent myself a test message from another computer.
    I receive the test message and get a notification and beep-beep.
    I immediately opened and read the message.
    Then I closed P.O.
    I immediately sent my self another message from my computer,
    and I again receive the test message and get a notification/beep-beep.

    It'd prolly be nice to get another Pro user to confirm.
    That is exactly the procedure that is giving me problems, so yours does seem to be working ok. Strange since Palm also had the problem. Anyway, good for you! It is driving me crazy. I just can't think of anything else to try... Now I guess I'm stuck waiting on Palm.

    Well, I did think of one thing to try: Since Berd reported no problems using the 4smartphone exachange service I tried that also. I deleted my work exchange server and added the 4 smartphone exchage server. No change - I've still got the problem. I have had the 4smartphone service for a long time, but haven't used it in quite a while. It came in handy for testing, but still no luck. I just switched back to "work" exchange.

    I wonder if Berd and I have a setting different that could be causing the problem or if there is actually a difference in phones somehow? I can't think of which setting to check, but... oh well.
    Last edited by scollins; 01/12/2009 at 07:07 PM.
  18.    #18  
    A little more news:
    I called Palm back today because I've discovered a little more about the problem and because I wanted to see if they were working on it.

    It seems that if I get a "first" email then I get notification.
    Once I open outlook and close it again the I will not get a notification on the following email.
    If I do not open the first email then I will get a notifcation for the second (& following) emails.

    I hope that part made sense.

    Now today Palm wanted me to delete my exchange server account and add a "test" account that they gave me the settings for. It worked perfectly.
    I have two accounts - one through work and a 4smartphone acct - neither of which work. Both of my accounts worked on my old Treo 750.

    Still at a loss...
  19.    #19  
    Another piece of the puzzle:

    I've taken the SIM out of the Pro and switched back to my 750.

    Just as a test I tried connecting the Pro via wi-fi. The notifications work just fine when connecting this way, just not when I am connected with the cellular radio. What could this have to do with it?
  20. #20  
    I'm sorry,
    wish I could help.
    I just don't know.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions