Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Maybe I don't understand 'cloud' properly, but couldn't the Palm 'desktop' be replaced with a Palm 'Cloud' on our Personal Computer so that the info from the cell phone would be 'stored' on your own PC within the 'Cloud' software?

That would effectively ensure an ability to 'sync' to the PC, do backups, and also to 'restore' data when the need arose.

???? Am I in left field on this?
    RJuhl
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    ???? Am I in left field on this?
    Cloud is a network (Internet) based application/storage. It comes from the cloud symbol that typically represents the Internet in network diagrams. You could think of it like comparing Microsoft Office to Google Docs; Google Docs is a Cloud app, MS Office is not.

So instead of syncing to your "desktop" (a computer that is in your physical control) the Pre saves your info to a cloud-based service -- from an extreme perspective the Pre sends your data to somebody else's computer accessible via the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    Maybe I don't understand 'cloud' properly, but couldn't the Palm 'desktop' be replaced with a Palm 'Cloud' on our Personal Computer so that the info from the cell phone would be 'stored' on your own PC within the 'Cloud' software?
    Theoretically it could and should (e.g. redundant copies of your data: phone, local computer, and web-based service), but that is not the picture Palm is painting. Further if the "cloud" is on your local machine, it is not a cloud. In the discussion from the link I provided (LINK), it does not appear that your local computer is an option for saving (Synergy in Palm speak), unless again theoretically, you run some server software, accessible from the Internet, on your local computer.

I mean, stretching here... perhaps the Pre knows you want to save everything on your local machine (easily done with a configuration setting), knows about your home network (the wireless carrier's network is separated from yours via a firewall, so cannot use that), and will hold your data from when you push the save button until the Pre magically senses you are home (or you have wifi turned on... ummm again battery?), and then tries to connect to the computer that has the necessary server software for synchronization (which may be turned off -- yet more magic to know it is on without excessive polling).

Not trying to be sarcastic here.. but I doubt it; too much magic. Perhaps though, Palm has some other trick for ensuring that my data stays on my machines only... but that certainly is not the impression they are giving.
    I do understand the 'cloud' concept, but was hoping that a creative 3rd party developer could/would develope a PC based 'cloud' that would enable the Pre to copy all data to it.

Guess the usb port might be capable of that tho, right? Anyway, don't like having all my data out there in the Cloud. Have several friends and relatives who would also be unhappy if they thought the data I kept on them was being 'saved' in the cloud, possibly accessible to hackers.

Will wait for the release. Am sure most of this will be cleared up by then, or shortly thereafter.

Thanks for the reply,

Roger
    RJuhl
    1. Data is saved in the device, locally.
    2. The Palm Pre acted as its own webserver to display those "cards". So it is a server and a client for the web apps. See screenshots of Mojo on BoyGeniusReport. Web apps is used just to display your data.
    3. All data is in an SQLite database.
    4. I believe there will be a sync solution for desktop/notebook. Else why bring Chapura as a partner?
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    4. I believe there will be a sync solution for desktop/notebook. Else why bring Chapura as a partner?
    I mentioned this in a couple of other threads - if Chapura aren't doing desktop sync, what are they in there for...

Let's see what they offer for the iphone..

The KeyTasks synchronization is provided through your MyChapura Account. A MyChapura account is included with your yearly subscription of KeyTasks. MyChapura is an online service that provides "cloud" synchronization of Microsoft Outlook Tasks and KeyTasks on the iPhone or iPod touch.

MyChapura stores your information on our Web servers. This is commonly referred to as the "cloud." When you make a change in Outlook or on your device and synchronize, that change is sent up to the cloud.

Your iPhone or iPod touch will receive this change when you synchronize and your PC can be configured to manually or automatically synchronize. This allows you to keep your information current in multiple places no matter where you are.
    So Chapura have developed the infrastructure for cloud computing and already have a subscription model in place. The more people they push onto the cloud, the cheaper it becomes for them...
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So Chapura have developed the infrastructure for cloud computing and already have a subscription model in place. The more people they push onto the cloud, the cheaper it becomes for them...
    So your data is getting shipped off to Chapura? They act as the proxy for your desktop, for your phone, for your other devices... Sounds like it.

I know a lot of people don't mind giving their data to some provider; who, if they aren't charging you outright (and perhaps even if they are), will have to find "some" way to make money... I just don't like it.
    Last edited by insol; 01/15/2009 at 12:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    1. Data is saved in the device, locally.
    2. The Palm Pre acted as its own webserver to display those "cards". So it is a server and a client for the web apps. See screenshots of Mojo on BoyGeniusReport. Web apps is used just to display your data.
    3. All data is in an SQLite database.
    Although as you suggest, if the Pre has its own webserver, perhaps the PC would "PULL" from the phone rather than push/pull... and is there really a USB port (with data lines -- not just power) on the device? If so then why not sync? Just seems weird the way Palm is talking "around" traditional syncing.

BTW is anyone else concerned with an embedded webserver on your phone that is connected to the Internet??? (I'm thinking #7) Does WebOS have a firewall? Localhost only access would not allow the PC to request from the Pre's webserver without some access control...

Hmmm could be kinda cool... but def not for the general consumer. And I certainly don't trust the carriers to ensure security, esp Sprint. See my thread here for why I would be nervous:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=168807

Combine the issue in that thread with uneducated end users, a known always-running webserver, a popular device (read: lots of devices to compromise), a published SDK, and an OSS OS base.... seems to be asking for trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    Although as you suggest, if the Pre has its own webserver, perhaps the PC would "PULL" from the phone rather than push/pull... and is there really a USB port (with data lines -- not just power) on the device? If so then why not sync? Just seems weird the way Palm is talking "around" traditional syncing.

BTW is anyone else concerned with an embedded webserver on your phone that is connected to the Internet??? (I'm thinking #7) Does WebOS have a firewall? Localhost only access would not allow the PC to request from the Pre's webserver without some access control...
    I don't know anything about Javascript or CSS & HTML programming, but check this out yourself:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/galle...00#picture_nav

By the way, it seems that Palm's browser is named LUNA or is "luna" some kind of command in javascript??
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post

Hmmm could be kinda cool... but def not for the general consumer. And I certainly don't trust the carriers to ensure security, esp Sprint. See my thread here for why I would be nervous:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=168807

Combine the issue in that thread with uneducated end users, a known always-running webserver, a popular device (read: lots of devices to compromise), a published SDK, and an OSS OS base.... seems to be asking for trouble.
    I think he means webserver in that locally it renders the cards not that it's acting as a full blown webserver.
    In keeping with the thread intention, I love the look of the Pre and I love what it looks like it will offer, however, the Treo Pro is the choice for me due to form factor. I need my traditional form factor on the current Treos. I like the simplicity and the ability of having a set hard case, etc. I could change one day but I don't see it happening. I have had the current form factor for 5-6 years now? I have no need for a larger screen as well. Who knows?? I do know I LOVE my TP though!! Good luck Pre... we need you to be huge to ensure Palm survives and keeps giving us the Treo line!!!!
    I would like to try a different layout, it seems i like this one a lot I just wish palm made this with WM
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I am uncertain about whether a slider is better than the FF KB. For me, probably not. My past experiences with sliders (samsung i730 and HTC Tilt) and Touch only (HTC Touch) have been miserable. I suspect WebOS interfaces (like the iPhone interfaces) will start to turn up on WM soon enough... prolly by the time WebOS has a nice stable of native apps. So that wont be a big differentiator. Battery life I think will be the big wildcard and that will make/break the Pre (maybe security too for those that actually care).

The Pro is just a known solid device... kinda like the old Blackberrys -- they didn't have a lot of flash and dazzle but they were solid and did their job optimally. To me the Pro is in the same boat but on a platform that will allow some retrofitting of flash and dazzle (unlike RIM's Blackberry OS).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12