Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Long story short, I purchased a Centro three weeks ago.
    I had to get a WinMo phone for work email, so I had to make a decision to keep the phone and not have access to work email or get any type of WinMo
    phone - with Sprint.

Well, I need access to work email outside of work...

I wanted to wait for the Treo Pro, but didnt have enough time left on my 30 day exchange...

So I left the store with an 800w.

Will I regret this decision?
    I love the phone so far - but with the rumors of no support, discontinuing it, etc...did I just spend hundreds of dollars on something obsolete?

I am a little nervous here...
    There are a few people who are very vocal about their dislike of the 800w, and who take every opportunity to share that dislike.

The fact is that the majority of the people with the 800w are happy with it. A poll taken a while back suggested that over 75% of the people with 800w's were happy that they got it.

Since then there has been many fixes to the major issues that people complained about.

Check out the FAQ and you may want to look into applying some of those fixes. There are some things in there that really improve the quality of the device (such as the volume increase, and GPS fix).

Anyway, in the long run only you can decide if you are happy. Use the device yourself, and if you don't like it, get something else. If you do like it (as many of us do), then don't worry about what the self-proclaimed pundits say.
    I think it is great phone and don't see why you wont be very happy with it.

What matters is your experience with the device and not what others have experienced or claim to have experienced.

I have had a very positive experience with this phone just as the majority of users around here have.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Just try the Treo Pro when it comes out and see which one you like better.
    What is the limit to how many times a device can be exchanged in the 30 day trial period? 1 or 2? Like mentioned I would get the Pro. I had a GSM Treo Pro in my possession and played with it for a few days. It really is a much better device. Battery life and looks out of the box is better. Some will say we don't know if the same battery will be used in the CDMA version. I believe it is because Palm may be dumb but may not be dumb enough to make or buy another one.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by UCFgrad05 View Post

I love the phone so far - but with the rumors of no support, discontinuing it, etc...did I just spend hundreds of dollars on something obsolete?

I am a little nervous hethatre...
    There is no "discontinued support" as companies support their products for as long as it makes sense financially to do so. But unless Palm comes out and says "we're selling this unsupported" then you should ignore such misinformation. Also, the Treo Pro in fact doesn't bring anything ground breaking to the table--it is merely a refinement on the 800w, nothing more and it could be argued very easily that the Treo Pro is itself "yesterdays news".

Truth be told: most phones don't get many updates, if at all in, in their product life. In fact, don't ever buy a phone expecting some nagging issue to be fixed. If you don't like it now, you probably won't like it later. Judge it by today.

Finally, if you "love the phone so far" than that is your answer. Don't sit around worrying all the time what is around the corner. Such technology obsession will be detrimental to your mental health and wallet with little return in happiness

Also for the record, I plan on sticking with the 800w for now. I'll buy the Treo Pro for a 20 day test run/review but unless it is a huge difference for my needs, it'll go back. I'm wanting the Pre right now.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I am a business/exchange user and have owned many pda/phones and so far the 800w is the best phone that suits my needs. I need a good keyboard and like really like this one. The phone needs some tweaking like every other phone I have owned. I do a soft reset every couple of months and use memmaid regularly when the phone gets sluggish.

I haven't tried the Pro yet and the complaints about the keyboard make me cautious, but I am going to see how it compares with the 800w plus I'm sure I will also try the Pre when it comes out. I am very satisfied with the 800w having come from the 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I am a business/exchange user and have owned many pda/phones and so far the 800w is the best phone that suits my needs. I need a good keyboard and like really like this one. The phone needs some tweaking like every other phone I have owned. I do a soft reset every couple of months and use memmaid regularly when the phone gets sluggish.

Almost exactly what I was going to say!!! I do agree and have to add that the experience with the phone is what you make of it and not what others say. I upgraded from a Treo 700p and wasn't sure at first if I'd like WinMo but liked the treo form factor so I tried the 800w out. After a couple of tweaks and installed patches from Palm my phone has surpassed all my expectations and I am more than willing to hold on to it till I'm ready to upgrade in a couple years. Very happy with the 800w.
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    I used the 700wx for 18months, gave it to my son and bought a Touch by HTC. Used the Touch for two months, hated all the lockups and crashes. HTC crapware is a mem hog..(Treo Pro is Touch with keyboard for most part has same HTC crapware)
    The beloved HTC task manager is a joke, WM doesn't free the ram very welll any way plus the 800W can do the same thing with out even touching the screen. Just hold down the ok button. I got the Touch exchanged for an 800W and after about 6 weeks I like it very much. The 400mah bigger battery would not make much difference for me as I use it heavy and would still need to charge during the day.

800W is a good phone, hope it stays around for a while.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by UCFgrad05 View Post
    So I left the store with an 800w.

I am a little nervous here...
    Only you can tell if you'll regret the decision.

But consider this, the Sprint HTC Touch Pro IS a superior device and is selling faster than Sprint can keep them in stock.

I can only speak for myself in saying I found the 800w to be highly defective and moved to the Touch Pro.

Since you asked, I recommend you return that 800w fast and get a Touch Pro.
    This is why you need to test any phone to see if it works for you. I couldn't return the Touch Pro fast enough, but I am not on the Touch Pro forums bashing it. If the Touch works for ya, great.
    I agree with Darnell. I did the same thing. The Touch Pro runs circles around the 800w.
    Buying a device is never about having one that is "superior" (a subjective, personal judgment) or based on specs alone.

High specs do not make a good device. What works for you makes a good device. If it were the other way around, then the majority of people would have high-end smartphones--instead, they are in the minority (WM perhaps the smallest of that minority).

This is why you try a device for 30 days. If you like it during those 30 days, good chance you'll like it in 60, 90, 360.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    This is why you need to test any phone to see if it works for you. I couldn't return the Touch Pro fast enough, but I am not on the Touch Pro forums bashing it. If the Touch works for ya, great.
    Totally agree. A colleague of mine got a Touch Pro and really liked it. It was his first Smartphone. I decided I would give it a try since I really like the looks. I had it nearly a week before I took it back. From my use, I couldn't tell any performance difference in my 800W, plus I really like the keyboard on the 800w much better than the Touch Pro.

As stated by others, it's all a matter of personal preference. But my no means is the 800w 'crippled' of anything of the such.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I wholeheartedly agree with the comments below. The 800w has a great keyboard for texting, shorter emails, etc. I love the huge amount of available memory. (I came from the HTC Mogul, where memory was scarce.)

The only thing I find somewhat lacking is battery life. I bought a Seidio 2600 maH extended battery and couldn't be happier now -- both with the battery and with the 800w.

I haven't tried the Pro yet and the complaints about the keyboard make me cautious, but I am going to see how it compares with the 800w plus I'm sure I will also try the Pre when it comes out. I am very satisfied with the 800w having come from the 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Totally agree. A colleague of mine got a Touch Pro and really liked it. It was his first Smartphone. I decided I would give it a try since I really like the looks. I had it nearly a week before I took it back. From my use, I couldn't tell any performance difference in my 800W, plus I really like the keyboard on the 800w much better than the Touch Pro.

As stated by others, it's all a matter of personal preference. But my no means is the 800w 'crippled' of anything of the such.
    I had the Touch Pro for a month and took it back and am now very happy with the 800W. I don't think I can use a phone without the front facing keyboard, much better for one handed use (I think I can even type faster with 2 hands on the 800W if there aren't too many numbers involved).

To me the 800W is much better for getting things done, while the Touch Pro is better for multi media. So it depends on what your main usage is.

But like the others have said, it's personal preference, not that one's better than the other.
    Honestly at first I was disappointed. I mean look around at the Touch Pro 3D animations, the iPhones internet, The new Skinny LG Phone on ATT (No idea what its called). At the end of the day though the 800w might no be cool to look at or fun to use, but IT SURE AS HELL GETS THE JOB DONE and I can dropped without worrying.

I am not really sure how to describe it lacks the frills and you will wish you had those cool new features, but it works and it does what its designed to do period.

to me the only advantge the Treo Pro has it ever comes is its looks better and it has 3.5mm jack.

Little story of my own, I had the 700wx and the Mogul came out everyone remember that phone it was the coolest phone to at that time. I traded it up and after few months later and the frills were gone I missed the 700wx.