1.    #1  
    From Malatesta's 1/6 WM Experts article:
    Looks like Palm has re-vamped their website recently and left a little bit of info confirming that upcoming Sprint Treo Pro.

Specifically, when you go to their site and hit "Shop" and then "Compare Details" you may notice how under the Treo Pro they have it listed as "3g" and "CDMA + EvDO".
    True at the time. Now, as of 1/10, the "CDMA + EvDO" row has disappeared from the Treo Pro column.

I had pretty much given up on my speculation that the Pre is being released on the 25th instead of the Pro, but now I'm starting to wonder again, especially since the Pre is on Sprint's website and the Pro isn't. It's possible that Elevation's $100M booster shot was meant to accelerate the Pre's finalization, and that the Pro was actually slated for 1/25, but has been canceled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doesn't mean much that Pre is on there and Pro isn't.

Palm wouldn't commit to anything more than "first half of 2009". That gives us a 6 month range. (Now they did imply that it'd be sooner rather than later....soo....)

Palm isn't going to do much to reduce any impact of the Pre. It wouldn't surprise me if they would have preferred to not release the Pro at all, or perhaps release it after the Pre. Releasing the Pro before the Pre will likely have some negative impact on Palm's sales of the Pre, as some users may upgrade to the Pro when they really want the Pre (but can't wait, funny how that works).

Anyway, there's been a somewhat curious lack of info on a CDMA Pro. Perhaps it's just Sprint/Palm being particularly quiet not wanting to take away focus from the Pre, perhaps it's something else. We won't know one way or the other until the 25th comes and goes.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Doesn't mean much that Pre is on there and Pro isn't.
    But it's interesting that it Pro was there only days ago (see screenshot in WME article) but has been "disappeared." Granted, the site's content has been in flux since its redesign.

Palm wouldn't commit to anything more than "first half of 2009". That gives us a 6 month range. (Now they did imply that it'd be sooner rather than later....soo....)
    Wishful thinking aside, I agree with your later observation. It's very uncharacteristic of Palm, or any company, to suggest a sooner-than-later release rather than leave the entire stated launch window open.

Palm isn't going to do much to reduce any impact of the Pre. It wouldn't surprise me if they would have preferred to not release the Pro at all, or perhaps release it after the Pre. Releasing the Pro before the Pre will likely have some negative impact on Palm's sales of the Pre, as some users may upgrade to the Pro when they really want the Pre (but can't wait, funny how that works).
    I would be far more concerned about the Pre's negative impact on the Pro rather than the reverse -- the so-called Osborne Effect.

Anyway, there's been a somewhat curious lack of info on a CDMA Pro. Perhaps it's just Sprint/Palm being particularly quiet not wanting to take away focus from the Pre, perhaps it's something else. We won't know one way or the other until the 25th comes and goes.
    You might be right. I'm not totally convinced that the Pro has been canceled. The leaked BestBuy POs with the Treo Pro are from late last month. On the other hand, shipping palettes of Treo Pros to Sprint after the Pre announcement wouldn't just take the focus off the Pre; it would just create an inventory glut, like the 800w. Who would buy the Treo Pro now, with the Pre on the horizon?

If Sprint canceled their order for the TP, Elevation's $100 mil might have covered Palm's loss in order to maintain momentum on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    But it's interesting that it Pro was there only days ago (see screenshot in WME article) but has been "disappeared." Granted, the site's content has been in flux since its redesign.
    But the CDMA Pro on the site was never really there...it was simply a mistake, and thus not to be treated the same as more concrete proof.

If Sprint canceled their order for the TP, Elevation's $100 mil might have covered Palm's loss in order to maintain momentum on the Pre.
    That's a distinct possibility.

After all, it happened with the 800w and Verizon, not just once, but twice.
    As Palm and Sprint say the Pro is aimed at serious business and professional use and world. The Pre is aimed in Palms words at "the fat middle." Two different animals. (fat middle does not mean ***** demographics, but fat middle of the market)

I think any decision on the Pro has to do with inventory of the 800w. For all we know at current sales numbers they have enough until August.
    Last edited by aero; 01/11/2009 at 02:55 AM.
    Who would buy the Treo Pro now, with the Pre on the horizon?
    It might not have the bleeding-edge cachet of the Pre, but the Pro does hold its own pretty well among its contemporary-generation of WM devices.
  7.    #7  
    But the CDMA Pro on the site was never really there...it was simply a mistake, and thus not to be treated the same as more concrete proof.
    The "CDMA + EvDO" listing was never acknowledged as a mistake. You're speculating as much as I am. I want to stress that I'm not asserting concrete proof of anything, just ruminating circumstantial evidence. I know as little as you do. To me, there's a difference between simply not marketing the Pro to keep the focus on the Pre, and proactively removing the one "official" hint at the STP's very existence.

On the other hand, it's possible that removing the CDMA/EVDO listing was done to prevent the Osborne Effect from affecting the 800w. I just don't see the business case for launching a new product whose audience is now transfixed by an even newer product. Sure, it can be argued that the Pro is a "business" phone and the Pre is a "prosumer" phone, but those distinctions are increasingly irrelevant. iPhones are now quite common in business circles, even if they're not the best tool for the job.

Sprint needs new subscribers more than they need more device sales. The Pre is better positioned to do this.
    The "CDMA + EvDO" listing was never acknowledged as a mistake. You're speculating as much as I am.
    Of course I am.

But given that everything else said it was GSM (not two lines away!) what's easier to believe, that someone used the wrong image, or that Palm let it slip about a CDMA Pro?

Given that there was zero other CDMA comments on there, and that Palm fixed it rather quickly, I tend to believe it was simply a web dev's goof.

And given that very few other blogs picked it up, I think that's the general consensus.

Now had the pic said: "GSM & CDMA", then I'd be pretty convinced.
    On the other hand, it's possible that removing the CDMA/EVDO listing was done to prevent the Osborne Effect from affecting the 800w..
    Certainly the case. The way this works is the site is update with the upcoming information and some of the information in the drafts that is not supposed to be there until a certain date gets leaked.

The Pro will be coming on Sprint we all know on the 25th, and the concensu on the early realse of info is that it would kill kill the ongoing 800w sales if people knew.
  10.    #10  
    I give up, especially since the STP just got FCC approval
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The Pro will be coming on Sprint we all know on the 25th, and the concensu on the early realse of info is that it would kill kill the ongoing 800w sales if people knew.
    Many people don't care.

I know several people who have gotten new phones right before a big release. (IE: 700wx before 800w, Mogul right before that went away, etc)

The people who do care you can find right here on this site.
    I know several people who have gotten new phones right before a big release. (IE: 700wx before 800w, Mogul right before that went away, etc)
    Well you are right, probably lots of people would get an 800w now since you trade it no questions for a pro in a couple of weeks, especially if it turns out to have the bugs fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    since you trade it no questions for a pro in a couple of weeks
    That's generally how a 30 day trial works, for any phone.
    That's generally how a 30 day trial works, for any phone.
    But that is not the reason why someone would buy an 700wx with the 800w out in the example you cited.

Is that a nah nah nah smiley? you could be horrendously ribbed for your predictions to the release of this Pro on Sprint.