Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Been VERY impressed with the Pro in the last coupla months I had. It. Form factor superb, features great, keyboard reliable and screen fantastic.

So why am I giving it up (actually holding on to it but shelving it in case the alternatives do not work out)? The damn micro-usb connection/charging nonsense.

I have, after numerous HTC and other devices, mini-USB chargers and cables in every country I visit and every friend's house I frequent, my laptop case and every car I drive/get driven in. Perfect!

I bought a coupla spare micro-USB cables, but they syncronize but fail to charge through my laptop. I have been left with a draining Pro too many times and unable to charge my phone and had to beg a spare phone from a colleague to stay connected (but without use of all my data on the Pro!).

Last straw was yesterday. We had a power problem at the house. Electric company disconnected the whole street for 6 hours. I took my laptop and went sat at my local coffee shop and kept on working. But the Pro battery was giving up and yet again could not get the cable to charge, only sync. And the electric company needed to get in touch with me to tell me the power was being restored! I switched my sim to my spare Nokia and took the call at 10pm.

I got home and immediately snapped-up an HTC Touch Pro online. Will be annoying to learn a new device/system all over again, but years of experience tells me I'll never have the charger/sync problem again, nor will I need any accessories for it!

Pity though, I still enjoy putting my hands in my coat pocket and reliving the hands-on feel of the Treo Pro...
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
    Have you thought of buying a USB hub that also supplies power to the USB devices? The Palm sync cables will do both if they are connected to computers or hubs that provide power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simsim View Post
    I have, after numerous HTC and other devices, mini-USB chargers and cables in every country I visit and every friend's house I frequent, my laptop case and every car I drive/get driven in. Perfect!
    Palm was part of all the major groups (which included HTC IIRC) that said that micro-usb was going to be the connection/charging standard moving forward.

So far that new "standard" seems to be more of "yeah we said that but we're still gonna do whatever the heck we want." Which really hurts people who are following what they agreed upon, such as Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Palm was part of all the major groups (which included HTC IIRC) that said that micro-usb was going to be the connection/charging standard moving forward.

So far that new "standard" seems to be more of "yeah we said that but we're still gonna do whatever the heck we want." Which really hurts people who are following what they agreed upon, such as Palm.
    HTC probably had product in the planning stages when the committment was made and decided to not change at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    HTC probably had product in the planning stages when the committment was made and decided to not change at this time.
    That's a possibility.

But given that the 800w met the new standard and was supposed to be released Q4 2007, I find it unlikely.

HTC most likely decided that all the Touch devices were Mini-USB, so they were going to stick with that for the rest of the line regardless of what they agreed to do. (It's certainly cheaper for them as they don't have to retool as much for a design change.)

It's just one of those cases where standards seem to be a good thing, but when there's nothing to back them up the companies who follow the standards get burnt by the companies who don't.
    I have had the charging problem.
    Plenty of mini-usb around.

Now I carry a couple of these:

Motorola skn6252 - mini female <> micro male
    Got 3 of them for $12 i think - now there's always one around.

Charges fine with my laptop though - slower yes, but it does.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ftwitty View Post
    Have you thought of buying a USB hub that also supplies power to the USB devices? The Palm sync cables will do both if they are connected to computers or hubs that provide power.
    Not sure if you mean a powered hub, plugged into an outlet? Can't do that at most places I travel to with my laptop (or in my car).

Or do you mean if I plug the cable through a standard hub (unpowered) it will charge where plugging direct to the laptop it won't?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Mini-USB is so ubiquitous that I hope they don't ever change. But then I said the same thing about SD cards.... then mini-SD cards...

Even Nokia made the most pointless change of charger connectors ever conceived!

I guess change (even for the worse) is inevitable, but I will always hold out and remain a dinosaur for as long as possible. Which is why I 'm still on XP!
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    I have had the charging problem.
    Plenty of mini-usb around.

Now I carry a couple of these:

Motorola skn6252 - mini female <> micro male
    Got 3 of them for $12 i think - now there's always one around.

Charges fine with my laptop though - slower yes, but it does.
    I got a couple of those and put one each in my, and my wife's car. But it wouldn't charge (though the indicator was on and the charging symbol displayed.

Must admit I never tried it on my laptop though. After that I resigned myself to only charging on my PC and the wall charger in the bedroom!
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I got a couple of those and put one each in my, and my wife's car. But it wouldn't charge (though the indicator was on and the charging symbol displayed.

Must admit I never tried it on my laptop though. After that I resigned myself to only charging on my PC and the wall charger in the bedroom!
    In my case i can charge my phone with the adapter but can't sync.
    One of my earlier phones (Razr 2) used a micro usb charger which is what I now use to charge the pro overnight without any problems.
    That's a possibility.

But given that the 800w met the new standard and was supposed to be released Q4 2007, I find it unlikely.
    Well, Motorola committed to Mini USB but is still issuing mixed product.

1) H700 - Mini USB around 2006
    2) S9 - Mini USB spring 2007
    3) H680 - Micro USB late late 2007?
    3) H710 - Micro USB 2007 or early 2008
    4) S9-HD - Mini USB fall 2008

HTC isn't the only ones who haven't fully committed. The explaination offered sounds quite likely to me.
    Not sure if you mean a powered hub, plugged into an outlet? Can't do that at most places I travel to with my laptop (or in my car).

Or do you mean if I plug the cable through a standard hub (unpowered) it will charge where plugging direct to the laptop it won't?
    I have a laptop that provides power to its 4 USB ports and a USB Hub that is powered with a wall transformer that provides power to the 7 USB ports it has. Both charge my Pro. I was refering to the type of hub I have. I noticed that someone was showing apicture of a Motorola converter cable. I've got a few of those and they work real well with the Pro.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I have a laptop that provides power to its 4 USB ports and a USB Hub that is powered with a wall transformer that provides power to the 7 USB ports it has. Both charge my Pro. I was refering to the type of hub I have. I noticed that someone was showing apicture of a Motorola converter cable. I've got a few of those and they work real well with the Pro.
    I see. Possibly my laptop does not provide power through its USB ports then? It's a dinky lil Toshiba Portege R500. The battery is good for over 4 hrs, so I assume it conserves power to only essential needs?

But I tried the Motorola converter cable (actually I snatched a couple off of eBay, and not certain they were genuine Motorola), and they did NOT charge my Pro in the car. Left on for hours and all the indicators were that it was charging, but no increase in power level (even after a soft reset).

But I got tired long ago with getting a new device and yielding to buying multiple accessories only to find I replace the device later and be stuck with a drawer full of obsolete cables/covers/car chargers...

I'm gonna stick to standard mini-USB only devices from now on
    Been VERY impressed with the Pro in the last coupla months I had. It. Form factor superb, features great, keyboard reliable and screen fantastic.

So why am I giving it up (actually holding on to it but shelving it in case the alternatives do not work out)? The damn micro-usb connection/charging nonsense.

Pity though, I still enjoy putting my hands in my coat pocket and reliving the hands-on feel of the Treo Pro...

That's not just with the Pro, I have the same problem with my 800 sometimes.
    I see. Possibly my laptop does not provide power through its USB ports then? It's a dinky lil Toshiba Portege R500. The battery is good for over 4 hrs, so I assume it conserves power to only essential needs?

But I tried the Motorola converter cable (actually I snatched a couple off of eBay, and not certain they were genuine Motorola), and they did NOT charge my Pro in the car. Left on for hours and all the indicators were that it was charging, but no increase in power level (even after a soft reset).

But I got tired long ago with getting a new device and yielding to buying multiple accessories only to find I replace the device later and be stuck with a drawer full of obsolete cables/covers/car chargers...

I should point out that when I charge off my laptop or the USB hub, bother are hooked to wall transformers and not in any power saving modes. My laptop od HP and as far as I know it would supply rower to its USB ports when not connected to a wall transformer. The USB cable that came with my Treo Pro works with all power sources to include transformers while usaing a Motorola converting cable.

I think there are laptops out there that never supply power to their USB ports.......
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Treonauts has a thread about why some usb car chargers don't work with the pro.

http://forum.treonauts.com/palm-smar...-chargers.html
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Treonauts has a thread about why some usb car chargers don't work with the pro.

http://forum.treonauts.com/palm-smar...-chargers.html
    Thanks.

Hmmm... Curiouser and curiouser... Definitely don't want to be playing hit-and-miss with numerous wall and car chargers, not knowing if they'll work.

Hope I get on well with the Touch Pro!
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I think there are laptops out there that never supply power to their USB ports.......
    Gotcha. That must be what I've got. Shame.
    Gotcha. That must be what I've got. Shame.
    Time for a new laptop.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Time for a new laptop.
    Lol. My laptops generally outlast my mobiles by a factor of 5:1. Only had this light and mobile lil Toshiba for a few months, so it propbably has a good 4 years life left.

My mobiles, on the other hand, rarely last a year before I succumb to the urge and splash out on some shiny new bauble or other!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast