Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21  
    I guess I've been fortunate.
    All the included cables charge fine - Pc and Wall.
    I had a Car Charger from my moto q9h and it works fine also.
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #22  
    what's the total current output of the OEM wall charger? i bet it's about an amp or more right? usb ports only supply 500ma of current or half an amp. has anyone tried using the sync cable with a y cable like this....



    this allows you to draw power from two usb ports thereby augmenting the total power available at the phone's connector to 1amp.
  3. #23  
    The 800w is 2 amps from the wall wart so I'd assume the Pro is similar.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simsim View Post
    Lol. My laptops generally outlast my mobiles by a factor of 5:1. Only had this light and mobile lil Toshiba for a few months, so it propbably has a good 4 years life left.

    My mobiles, on the other hand, rarely last a year before I succumb to the urge and splash out on some shiny new bauble or other!
    Sounds like we both suffer from the same disorder........
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson19401 View Post
    what's the total current output of the OEM wall charger? i bet it's about an amp or more right?)
    The 800w wall charger is 1.2 amps output on full draw. you can test the output directly and this corresponds with a full drain unit off recharge rate as confirmation.

    if you use in vehcile wiht GPS running full time and all other radios on except wifi 500 ma will give you about 5% up per hour
  6. simsim's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
       #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ftwitty View Post
    I should point out that when I charge off my laptop or the USB hub, bother are hooked to wall transformers and not in any power saving modes. My laptop od HP and as far as I know it would supply rower to its USB ports when not connected to a wall transformer. The USB cable that came with my Treo Pro works with all power sources to include transformers while usaing a Motorola converting cable.

    I think there are laptops out there that never supply power to their USB ports.......
    I forgot to mention that my old HTC devices (several of them) charged perfectly well through the mini-USB ports on my laptop - even when the laptop was not plugged in - drawing from the laptop's battery.

    Can only surmise from the last few posts that the Treo Pro needs more power than the HTC's from the ports?
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
  7. simsim's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
       #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I guess I've been fortunate.
    All the included cables charge fine - Pc and Wall.
    I had a Car Charger from my moto q9h and it works fine also.
    Yeah, the included cables charge fine with me too. But the cable is left with my PC at home, as well as the wall charger. When I try to use the original or bought cables with my laptop when 'playing away' I fail to get a charge. Syncs fine though
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
  8. #28  
    I find it strange to give up on a great mobile phone, just because you can't charge it on your notebook. There are posts around here that explain what pins you need to solder on an usb-cable to get the microUSB charging functionality.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  9. simsim's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
       #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    I find it strange to give up on a great mobile phone, just because you can't charge it on your notebook. There are posts around here that explain what pins you need to solder on an usb-cable to get the microUSB charging functionality.

    Soldering? SOLDERING???

    My wife doesn't trust me to sort the washing between whites and er... the other thing.

    Soldering is about as likely for me as moon walking.

    But it's not only through the laptop, it is mainly through the car chargers as well that I tried (repeatedly) and failed. Several posts show I'm not alone. That and the free availability, and known functionality of mini-USB. That is what finally pursuaded me.

    And like I said, I'm keeping it as a back up, but I couldn't trust it as a main phone.

    Got the Touch Pro this morning, and... it maybe blasphemous to say so on this forum... but it looks like a winner
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simsim View Post
    ...clip...

    Got the Touch Pro this morning, and... it maybe blasphemous to say so on this forum... but it looks like a winner
    <banned>
    Just call me Berd.
  11. #31  
    Hi SIMSIM

    I ran into similar issue with the (original) cable not charging when connected via USB to a regular PC (at work). And it won't charge via my Macbook either.
    In both cases, the light is on and charging symbol showed up. But it wasn't really charging.

    I put in a thread earlier and somebody mention the feature where u need to get it connected to the PC via Activesync before it actually charge (if you don't use the supplied wall charger). Something to do with pin configuration.

    Anyway, I sort it out by running Parallel/WinXP/Activesync on my Macbook and it charges beautifully. Fast too.

    I just "discover" a recent feature. The wireless modem feature in the Palm Treo Pro works like a charm .... connected to my Macbook on BT for that internet surfing. Not required to buy any extra hardware. And at the same time, the Palm is being charged via the USB cable.
  12. simsim's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by scenicmmx View Post
    Hi SIMSIM

    I ran into similar issue with the (original) cable not charging when connected via USB to a regular PC (at work). And it won't charge via my Macbook either.
    In both cases, the light is on and charging symbol showed up. But it wasn't really charging.

    I put in a thread earlier and somebody mention the feature where u need to get it connected to the PC via Activesync before it actually charge (if you don't use the supplied wall charger). Something to do with pin configuration.

    Anyway, I sort it out by running Parallel/WinXP/Activesync on my Macbook and it charges beautifully. Fast too.

    I just "discover" a recent feature. The wireless modem feature in the Palm Treo Pro works like a charm .... connected to my Macbook on BT for that internet surfing. Not required to buy any extra hardware. And at the same time, the Palm is being charged via the USB cable.
    Thanks for that. As is often the case, I come back to phones after a period away just to 'remember' why I liked them and if I should come back or stay away. I'll keep track of this thread and see if those tips work for me.

    Already missing the always-there keyboard with MagiKB Lite (the MS version of KeyCaps)... But otherwise the learning curve for the Touch Pro was not too steep
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
  13. simsim's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
       #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    <banned>
    Lol.

    Reminds of of a spoof email in the early days of the internet. Something about be careful of this new virus which has no fix as yet... It will:

    - Delete your C Drive
    - Make the CD drive open and shut uncontrollably
    - Corrupt any CDs even if in a drawer near the computer
    - Turn the milk in your fridge sour
    - Take your girlfriend out for dinner and charge it to your credit card

    If I accuse the Touch Pro of doing that can I get past the ban??
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
  14. #34  
    Too bad that virus is still around.
    Sometimes my gf has it :P
  15. #35  
    This is why I so much love my Treo Pro:



    More than once, I went to leave my house, and had to check my pocket to make sure I had my Treo Pro on me. - It's so light and thin.
    I will never go back to a brick again.

    The 1st pic is a Treo Pro next to the Treo 800
    The lower pic is of a Touch Pro.
    Just call me Berd.
  16. simsim's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
       #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    This is why I so much love my Treo Pro:

    More than once, I went to leave my house, and had to check my pocket to make sure I had my Treo Pro on me. - It's so light and thin.
    I will never go back to a brick again.

    The 1st pic is a Treo Pro next to the Treo 800
    The lower pic is of a Touch Pro.
    Yes, it is certainly thicker. By a whole 4mm. Of course it is shorter by 11mm and narrower by 9mm. It feels much smaller in the hand, but not in a good way. Too fiddly. The Treo definitely wins out in the 'feel' stakes.

    But the keyboard is the best since the Universal! Of course that hardly makes up for the slider awkwardness, but once you open it, it is great to type on.

    And the 'reach' with one thumb all over the screen is also helped by the dimunitive length and breadth.

    I'm not a 'fan' of square screens, but to be honest, haven't had much cause to complain. They've served me ok. The 2.8" screen on the Touch has a 'wow' factor, but I don't utilise it so much that I can say I NEED it.

    In short, with one handed-use the Treo wins easily. With two hands the Touch edges it slightly.

    So far...
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simsim View Post
    Lol.

    Reminds of of a spoof email in the early days of the internet. Something about be careful of this new virus which has no fix as yet... It will:

    - Delete your C Drive
    - Make the CD drive open and shut uncontrollably
    - Corrupt any CDs even if in a drawer near the computer
    - Turn the milk in your fridge sour
    - Take your girlfriend out for dinner and charge it to your credit card

    If I accuse the Touch Pro of doing that can I get past the ban??
    For those too young to remember, Good Times was a virus hoax, from the 1990's. People would forward a warning message to everyone they knew warning of the virus, that didn't exist.

    Someone became so tired of the constant warnings, they wrote the Good Times Spoof e-mail.

    The original, the only, "Good Times" Spoof

    Subject: "Very dangerous" computer virus

    Goodtimes will re-write your hard drive. Not only that, but
    it will scramble any disks that are even close to your computer. It
    will recalibrate your refrigerator's coolness setting so all your ice
    cream goes melty. It will demagnetize the strips on all your credit
    cards, screw up the tracking on your television and use subspace field
    harmonics to scratch any CD's you try to play.

    It will give your ex-girlfriend your new phone number. It
    will mix Kool-aid into your fishtank. It will drink all your beer and
    leave its socks out on the coffee table when there's company coming
    over. It will put a dead kitten in the back pocket of your good suit
    pants and hide your car keys when you are late for work.

    Goodtimes will make you fall in love with a penguin. It will
    give you nightmares about circus midgets. It will pour sugar in your
    gas tank and shave off both your eyebrows while dating your
    girlfriend behind your back and billing the dinner and hotel room to
    your Discover card.

    It will seduce your grandmother. It does not matter if she
    is dead, such is the power of Goodtimes, it reaches out beyond the
    grave to sully those things we hold most dear.

    It moves your car randomly around parking lots so you can't
    find it. It will kick your dog. It will leave libidinous messages on
    your boss's voice mail in your voice! It is insidious and subtle. It
    is dangerous and terrifying to behold. It is also a rather
    interesting shade of mauve.

    Goodtimes will give you Dutch Elm disease. It will leave the
    toilet seat up. It will make a batch of Methanphedime in your bathtub
    and then leave bacon cooking on the stove while it goes out to chase
    gradeschoolers with your new snowblower.

    Listen to me. Goodtimes does not exist.

    It cannot do anything to you. But I can. I am sending this
    message to everyone in the world. Tell your friends, tell your
    family. If anyone else sends me another E-mail about this fake
    Goodtimes Virus, I will turn hating them into a religion. I will do
    things to them that would make a horsehead in your bed look like
    Easter Sunday brunch.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simsim View Post
    Yes, it is certainly thicker. By a whole 4mm. Of course it is shorter by 11mm and narrower by 9mm. It feels much smaller in the hand, but not in a good way. Too fiddly. The Treo definitely wins out in the 'feel' stakes.
    ...clip...
    I held one the other day.
    That's actually when I noticed it was thicker than I thought.
    The pics I saw before didn't give me the impression that it was thick.
    The pic I included above was one I found after I held it that gave the appearance of how it felt in my hand.

    I don't know, for me, after owning the 8525, then the 750, and now the Pro, I guess I'm spoiled by the Treo Pro.
    Even my 750 feels too big now.
    Just call me Berd.
  19. simsim's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
       #39  
    A quick 9 or 10 day update.

    Ease of use of Treo Pro is still being missed.

    Funny thing is, when I've got serious work to do on the device, the Touch gets it done more professionally and with less mistakes. Especially when a lot of keyboard work is needed.

    But the casual, quick glance, run-of-the-mill stuff... you do that one-handed on the Treo almost without looking. On the Touch it seems more laboured.
    Last edited by Simsim; 02/27/2009 at 10:43 AM.
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
  20. simsim's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
       #40  
    OK, two month update. The Touch Pro is certainly an all-round powerhouse, but I guess I am not enough of a power-user to need one.

    Hold-up, I just re-read what I wrote above and it sounded like I was saying I am not man enough to own one!!!

    Well, anyway... moving on quickly, I am now looking at an i-Mate 8502. Same form-factor/features/size as GSM Treo Pro.

    Will let you know how I got on when I get my hands on it.

    Meanwhile, I am back to the Treo
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions