Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If order means anything, than Palm has placed the 800w last on their list. I at least expected the 800w would be placed to the left of the Centro, but the 800w is on the far right. Palm Pre, then Treo Pro, then Centro, then 800w. I REALLY don't take that as a sign Palm thinks highly of the 800w.

I mean that on top of never making accessories like a 3.5mm headset adapter and other issues we've talked about here. I just don't get the feeling Palm cared for the 800w after the last update in August. But with the redesign, all the 800w updates are listed as having been released on 1/2/2009 in the "Downloads and Updates" listing. The charging update which was the last and came out in August is dated 10/28/2008 . In one place it's dated 1/2/2009 and 10/28/2008 in another. Neither date is correct.
    I doubt order means that much.

Pre is obviously first for many reasons. Pro is second, because it's a consumer oriented device, and is "sexy".

Centro beats out the 800w because they sell a bajillion Centro's, while the 800w is primarily business oriented on a single carrier.

Trust me, they'd much rather sell an 800w than a Centro, Palm makes very little on a Centro but a killing on an 800w. They just know they're going to sell far more Centro's, as the Centro is consumer oriented and has a killer price point, as well as being widely available (GMS and CDMA both).

That's simply business, and has nothing to do with how highly they think of anything.
    Sounds like the 800w is being discontinued. I wonder how much more Palm makes on the Treo Pro than the 800w?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If order means anything, than Palm has placed the 800w last on their list. .
    Good notice.

The reason why Sprint much rather sail the Centro a fact demonstrated by their decision to spend more on advertising it even during the 800ws heyday , despite sales tapering is it makes a TON of money for Sprint, while the 800w probably loses money. It is sold at low entry and introduces people to data.The 800w was not designed to seduce people to data plans like the Centro, Instinct and "big fat middle" Pre

Palm and Sprint are easily are making more per unit for Centro than ever and than the 800w. Huge economies of scale stamping out such a hugely successful product with that fat user base, much less support issues. Palms licensing costs on the Centro are lower as well. The biggest costs are all up front, R&D, testing, launch marketing and adverting, that initial high level of support costs, higher per unit hardware costs in the beginning, and all the risks of those costs being multiplied if you have a "problem child" like the 800

Don't worry about people attempting to derail your post. Nothing in marketing is done without a reason. Some people thought 800w being dropped from almost all the Sprint advertising and all the mailings a couple of months ago meant nothing either
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Don't worry about people attempting to derail your post. Nothing in marketing is done without a reason. Some people thought 800w being dropped from almost all the Sprint advertising and all the mailings a couple of months ago meant nothing either
    Great point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I doubt order means that much.

Pre is obviously first for many reasons. Pro is second, because it's a consumer oriented device, and is "sexy".

Centro beats out the 800w because they sell a bajillion Centro's, while the 800w is primarily business oriented on a single carrier.

Trust me, they'd much rather sell an 800w than a Centro, Palm makes very little on a Centro but a killing on an 800w. They just know they're going to sell far more Centro's, as the Centro is consumer oriented and has a killer price point, as well as being widely available (GMS and CDMA both).

That's simply business, and has nothing to do with how highly they think of anything.

I was going to say "They saved the best for last..." but I'm sure that would stir up more messages I can't read because a certain few are on my ignore list...lol.

EBag's answer was good.
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
  7.    #7  
    Does anyone have precedent for an IT related company listing products outside of the norms of ascending or descending order in left to right listings? That is, left to right listings where there is only a single row of products listed. Some company's put their best to the far left and show lesser versions in order of lesser after that. And some companies put the least to the far left and show greater versions in order of greater than that, such as Intuit with Quickbooks, where they list the lesser free version first, then the greater version to the right which is greater and sold for a price.

Palm already said themselves in their earnings conference, that their WM devices are all specifically targeted for the business market, Treo Pro included. So if Palm is ordering based on markets, the Pro and 800w should have been sit right next to each other but were not.
    Palm already said themselves in their earnings conference, that their WM devices are all specifically targeted for the business market, Treo Pro included. So if Palm is ordering based on markets, the Pro and 800w should have been sit right next to each other but were not.
    Pro and 800w are (currently) different networks (GSM vs CDMA). GSM has a much wider user base than CDMA.

It's probably in order of how much money they expect to make off them.

Pre, because they have to make webOS succeed.

Pro, because it's unlocked GSM (meaning they make a boatload of money per sale), and because they hope that more carriers will pick it up.

Centro, because it's hugely distributed (they won't make much money per sale, but they'll move a crapton of product and make money off the brand name getting out there).

800w because it's sold on a single carrier. They still make a boatload of money on it as it's a quite expensive phone, but a single carrier (even one as big as Sprint) can't compete with the Centro (dozens of carrier options) or the Pro (unlocked GSM and evidentially soon to be CDMA as well).

The marketing types will argue back and forth over the best way to list product, I get to hear that debate occasionally when I work with our e-commerce team.....
  9.    #9  
    It's probably in order of how much money they expect to make off them.
    Yes, and the one that brings the least returns is the one many companies will dump first.

If the 800w was a great hit, GSM carriers would have sought and released a version as with the Centro.

Palm knows Sprint has the 800w's replacement (Treo Pro) queued up and near release. So they know the 800w is on the way out.
    Wait...this thread is serious? We are now making judgments on devices by their ordering on a website...huh, thought I had seen it all.

Must be a slow day.

BTW, what is this near obsession of trying to determine how poor or well the 800w is doing? What's the point again?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/11/2009 at 10:19 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yes, and the one that brings the least returns is the one many companies will dump first.

If the 800w was a great hit, GSM carriers would have sought and released a version as with the Centro.

Palm knows Sprint has the 800w's replacement (Treo Pro) queued up and near release. So they know the 800w is on the way out.
    Correct. With the 800w confirmed to be EOL and being sold for only $99 brand new from Sprint, it sure looks like the ordering on the website was done on purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Correct. With the 800w confirmed to be EOL and being sold for only $99 brand new from Sprint, it sure looks like the ordering on the website was done on purpose.
    Yup confirmed.

Hey, I heard from someone that works for Sprint that the Touch Pro is being blown out at $199 next month to make room for the Touch Dual (which is listed on Sprint's site). That's why it's out of stock, they're not carrying it anymore.

Good to have that confirmed as EOL too.
    Wow, thanks for the inside scoop! ROTFLMAO

Lmfao!!!
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
  15.    #15  
    Yup confirmed.

Hey, I heard from someone that works for Sprint that the Touch Pro is being blown out at $199 next month to make room for the Touch Dual (which is listed on Sprint's site). That's why it's out of stock, they're not carrying it anymore.

Good to have that confirmed as EOL too.
    I have to HIGHLY doubt the credibility of your source. Or perhaps you were just kidding?

The HTC Touch Dual is an older HTC device and anyone that cares to look at the specs of the Touch Dual versus the specs for the Touch Pro can see the Touch Pro is superior.

Touch Pro has:
    • Much faster processor
    • Way more on board memory.
    • GPS (no the Touch Dual does not even have GPS)
    • True VGA resolution (Touch Dual only has 240 x 320 resolution, QVGA). Although some people prefer smaller screens.
    • Better camera

I suspect the Touch Dual will be carried by Sprint because it's external body style has one near striking similarity to the upcoming Palm Pre. A slide down front facing keyboard. Although the Touch Dual's is a Slide-out 20-key QWERTY keyboard or Slide-out 16-key keypad.

Dumping the fast selling and superior Touch Pro for the inferior Touch Dual has no basis in logic. But if you get a copy of a leaked Sprint sheet mentioning the OLDER Touch Dual will replace the NEWER Touch Pro I'd like to see it.

We do have the leaked sheet from Sprint that shows the 800w is being replaced and Palm now has the 800w listed after the Centro on their site. I totally agree, it's because Palm is not getting enough 800w sales to put it further to the left in their list.
    darnell, he was clearly joking

this thread is too much

later, I'm breaking out my Tarot cards. Anyone have any questions that they want asked?

(and btw, seriously: when Palm launched the new site they had 3 phones. One was the Centro which means "center", so that had to go in the center. Then you had a 50/50 shot of a Treo being on either side. There is no mystery here. But if you want to read the stars next too, I'd be interested)

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

(and btw, seriously: when Palm launched the new site they had 3 phones. One was the Centro which means "center", so that had to go in the center. Then you had a 50/50 shot of a Treo being on either side.
    And how long was the Centro in the "center" of the redesigned site? I highly doubt that was the reason, given it was like that for a VERY short period of time. Clearly the idea was always to have things as they are now. With the 800w farthest to the right and all that Palm intends to sell more of to the left of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Wow, thanks for the inside scoop! ROTFLMAO
    You're welcome. Say goodbye to what little resale value there was for our used 800w's. Good thing that I'm getting mine upgraded for free.
    The fact remains, despite some doubt and doubters, that the text was meant to be there in a couple of weeks. that it is going to be there, and that correct info was placed on the Palm site early and removed because Palm released the info too early.

Those who thought it was just a typo were wrong, and those who guessed it probably was correct information were right.

If it had been reversed there would be no end of hazing by those claiming it was a typo of no meaning. As some seem to still imply!?!

We now know for a fact the pulldown in the software, the sprint timeline, the photos of the unit -- and the note on the Palm website that was removed were all actually real indicators of fact.
    You're welcome. Say goodbye to what little resale value there was for our used 800w's. Good thing that I'm getting mine upgraded for free.
    I'm not sure you're aware of this trend in capitalism, but when new technology comes out, older technology decreases in re-sale value. In fact it decrease when you open that box--like how Vibrant's friend lost ~$100 on a brand new Treo Pro by selling it for $435. New cars also depreciate by 25% when you drive it off the lot.

It's a good thing actually because it allows those who don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone to get in on the mobile revolution.

If you care about consumers, you cheer on lower prices, not lament them. Who's side are you on anyways? And who buys phone for their re-sale value later on?

Finally, since I still have a 6700, Moto Q, Treo 650, etc. kicking around here, re-sale value is of no consequence to myself.
    And how long was the Centro in the "center" of the redesigned site? I highly doubt that was the reason, given it was like that for a VERY short period of time.
    I'm not sure, where is the middle with 4 objects?

lmao, no you right Darnell...there are other, more sinister reasons why they ordered it that way. In fact, I heard there was a top level meeting on this very subject just weeks ago at Palm. If you re-arrange the numbers found on the maps applications, I hear it is code for the release date of the Palm Pre and it spells out "Sorry darnell you did not like the 800w...better luck next time!"

Yes, yes...it all makes sense now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast