Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think the FCC report is 100% false.

It is hoax hacked onto the FCC site because the name has an "E" in it and we have learned from "experts" in denying the prior sitightings of "850e", that Palm only names its phones with numbers and would never follow the number with an "E"

the 850eww is obviously a practical joke, although I expect some here certain the Pro is a downgrade from the 800w to point to the "eww" as proof.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lmao, no you right Darnell...there are other, more sinister reasons why they ordered it that way. In fact, I heard there was a top level meeting on this very subject just weeks ago at Palm. If you re-arrange the numbers found on the maps applications, I hear it is code for the release date of the Palm Pre and it spells out "Sorry darnell you did not like the 800w...better luck next time!"

Yes, yes...it all makes sense now!
    Oh so neat how some of us can always go personal.

But I've already received my apology from Palm.

Anyone unhappy with the 800w and wishing to get a refund, PM me or e-mail me at darnell2009 [put an at symbol here] hushmail.com
    Sorry darnell you did not like the 800w...better luck next time!"
    I think it was Sprint did not like the 800w.

We have heard everyuthing.

The changes in the site mean nothing: they did mean something
    The use of the "e" meant a hoax. Wrong
    Sprint would never pick up the Pro as six months was too early. wrong
    The drop down was meaningless: wrong
    Senior Sprint techs saying the Pro was coming was confusion wit the Touch PRo: wrong
    Photos photoshipped: wrong
    Palm being crazy and ill advised to release a CDMA Pro: wrong

We all had some doubts.

This is a good move by Sprint and by Palm. They were saddled with a device, that for whatever reason was the equivalent of a beta for a much better device
    It's a good thing actually because it allows those who don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone to get in on the mobile revolution.

If you care about consumers, you cheer on lower prices, not lament them. Who's side are you on anyways? And who buys phone for their re-sale value later on?
    Yup, I'm glad for it. At least 4 people I know are going to be getting an excellent phone for a ridiculously low price.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

This is a good move by Sprint and by Palm. They were saddled with a device, that for whatever reason was the equivalent of a beta for a much better device
    It seems like Palm gave Inventec and HTC general specs for a device and waited to see who would make the best. Looks like HTC won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Yup, I'm glad for it. At least 4 people I know are going to be getting an excellent phone for a ridiculously low price.
    Even better since they can trade up for free!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    It seems like Palm gave Inventec and HTC general specs for a device and waited to see who would make the best. Looks like HTC won.
    How do you know this? Are you asserting, without evidence, that Palm contracted out two companies to make the same device, developed those devices, released them to the public and are now pulling one based on one company "winning"? That's an expensive way to go about things. I don't suppose you can provide any hint of evidence for this, can you?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I don't think it's wise to go around an dictating Sprint policy on phone upgrades. I think it's irresponsible to get people's hopes up for such a trade in.

There is no evidence that there is a policy in place to "upgrade" 800w users to any newer phone on the Sprint network. Quite the contrary.

9.    #29  
    How do you know this? Are you asserting, without evidence, that Palm contracted out two companies to make the same device, developed those devices, released them to the public and are now pulling one based on one company "winning"? That's an expensive way to go about things. I don't suppose you can provide any hint of evidence for this, can you?

Malatesta, you have often made statements that you said were your opinion. But when I say something "seems like" you've gone off into an interrogation.

OK, let me try and make this really clear for you. My saying:
    Was nothing more than tongue in cheek opinion which could be fact. You've got nothing to disprove it any more than I've got anything more than opinion offered with a "seems like" because it was an observation of how much more attention the Treo Pro is getting. The Treo Pro is going to have Sprint, plus unlocked GSM, while the Treo 800w is to the far right of the page and probably will be the next device to disappear from Palm.com.

Never did I say Palm did it, I simply mentioned it "seems like" for a bit of satirical twist. Sorry you didn't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Malatesta, you have often made statements that you said were your opinion. But when I say something "seems like" you've gone off into an interrogation.
    Probably because when Mal makes statements such as that one, he generally has reasons to back them up.

Additionally, there have been a LOT of claims around here lately. Now while you did say that it seems like (and I have to give you credit for that) the majority of claims are touted as fact when there's nothing to back them up.

Perhaps Mal overreacted a bit on this particular post, but given the history of claims such as this one, I'm not sure I would have read it as your opinion and not another statement of fact.

Regardless, I am curious to know if you have any evidence to back up your belief, or if it's just a guess.
  11.    #31  
    Regardless, I am curious to know if you have any evidence to back up your belief, or if it's just a guess.
    Guys, you had your shot at a joke, claiming the Touch Dual was replacing the Touch Pro.

I've already said it was something I stated as opinion with tongue in cheek.

It was not stated as a belief or even a guess, but just a joke that is really funny to see some folks go break out the dark room and single light over .

You guys are hilarious!
    I don't think it's wise to go around an dictating Sprint policy on phone upgrades. I think it's irresponsible to get people's hopes up for such a trade in.

There is no evidence that there is a policy in place to "upgrade" 800w users to any newer phone on the Sprint network. Quite the contrary.
    Sprint has a 30 day no questions asked exchange for any other device with price differential from original purchase. I was discussing current buyers.

They have had had that policy for 10 years.
    Sprint has a 30 day no questions asked exchange for any other device with price differential from original purchase. I was discussing current buyers.

Thank you for clarifying and correcting your original post.

the majority of claims are touted as fact when there's nothing to back them up.
    Well some people given to incorrect statements claim the thread is "derailed" when facts show them otherwise. As with the claim that tests based on google maps fully show aGPS behavior, or claims that raoming has no effect on accounts anymore when in fact many people do have accounts with roaming charges, and that even people with new accounts lose bucket minutes on m2m if roaming.

If sprint's problems with losing so many business customers are made up by Sprint why are you arguing it here with us instead of telling there own experts why they were wrong, as you seem to be implying they were so wrong about replacing the 800w with the Pro?

No, I understand that part but thanks for the clarification.

What I meant was with the dropping price on the 800w, I don't see how one could "trade up for free" to a Treo Pro. I expect the 800w's price (at $199 right now at Sprint.com) to keep dropping, while the Treo Pro will probably be $249-$299.

Thank you for clarifying and correcting your original post.
    I was correcting the mischaracterization by another person,who you think did not know Sprint policy

If you buy the Treo 800w today you will qualify to apply that full $200 to the Treo Pro.

If you mention the GPS issue you maybe offered a Pro so Sprint can avoid the hassle.
    No, I understand that part but thanks for the clarification.

What I meant was with the dropping price on the 800w, I don't see how one could "trade up for free" to a Treo Pro. I expect the 800w's price (at $199 right now at Sprint.com) to keep dropping, while the Treo Pro will probably be $249-$299.
    I think mentioning the GPS would do it. They have offered people who have made a formal complaint some degree of discount above buying price on alternative models.

The first thing they offered me was $100 anything else, before a formal assertion of defect by me netted full trade in for Touch Pro or Treo Pro.
    I think mentioning the GPS would do it. They have offered people who have made a formal complaint some degree of discount above buying price on alternative models.

The first thing they offered me was $100 anything else, before a formal assertion of defect by me netted full trade in for Touch Pro or Treo Pro.
    Well, we're getting OT a bit here but I don't think you can buy a phone within 30 days, complain about a missing feature and get a $100 credit for a phone.

They'd just tell you to return the 800w, buy the Treo Pro and pay the difference.

You could wait more than 30 days and then try, but that's a gamble I would not sell people on.

Every "new" phone on any carrier is in tight supply for the first 4-6 weeks. There is a un-said policy of reserving any in-store available phones for new lines of service only and not for trade-in, upgrades, problems, etc. That's why it'd be very hard to do this when the Treo Pro finally hits.

btw, back on topic...

If Palm really did not like the 800w much, wanted to downplay it, get rid of it, forget it..etc. Why would they re-design their site with that phone even on it? Why take all the pics with it, the Treo Pro and Centro grouped together for those "family shots" if they were just ditching it within weeks?

Seems a lot easier than putting it up there for a short time if they were just throwing it away. That's why I think looking at ordering is just weird. The fact that it's still on there speaks volumes. They could have relegated it to the "back section" with the old PDAs and other Garnet Treos.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/12/2009 at 02:35 PM.

If Palm really did not like the 800w much, wanted to downplay it, get rid of it, forget it..etc. Why would they re-design their site with that phone even on it? Why take all the pics with it, the Treo Pro and Centro grouped together for those "family shots" if they were just ditching it within weeks?

Seems a lot easier than putting it up there for a short time if they were just throwing it away. That's why I think looking at ordering is just weird. The fact that it's still on there speaks volumes. They could have relegated it to the "back section" with the old PDAs and other Garnet Treos.
    Because it could harm Sprnt. We don't know how much backstock there is. Dropping the price $100 even on 5,000 units is a half a million bucks.

plus reardless of what epopel may do, the return issue has lots of costs. If it is a $50 differenc many people might opt pay $50 (or less people but still some if it is $100) to do that within 30 days and then you have more handsets you can't sell as new due to the time clock being over a threshold.

Let's say you are a typical customer who keeps a handset for two years. Lets averagfe a 70 and 100/month sep at $85. Lets put tax on and ssume also 50% have tep insurance. that is 85 puls $8 plus 3.50. over 24 moths that is is $2300.

That is not all customer but lest say it is $2000 paln and $199 phone and plan for a good deal of customers. $2200 vs $2300 is not a big differecne.

You know what? I think the 800w in spring or summer of 2008 is a breakthrough device. DElays resultred in a look that is date even for front face half screen qwerty, aside I think they were distracted and some quality issues suffered. But the difference remains.

I tmakes perfect sense to me that they wold not remove it now or certianly not declare eol even for many months.

We cant deny it was absent from many sprints promotions. Leaving a thing to its diinishing but needed sales vs touting it are different things serving different needs.

Web site advertsing is free.
    I think it was Sprint did not like the 800w.

Let's not forget about Verizon.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12