Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The 800w, stock, seems to have a bug where OTA (Other The Air) PRL updates fail. Normally to update the PRL you call Sprint, ask them to flag your account, hang up, call *2 back, wait for the update, hang up, soft reset, and you got the new PRL list.

With this method you load the PRL list to the phone, write to the phone, and soft reset.

Curiously, my phone had the 60614 PRL list on it, when it came with the 60613 PRL list on it originally. At no point had I asked Sprint to flag my account for a PRL update, so at some point it was updated on it's own. It's possible that one of the couple times I called Sprint a rep flagged my account without my knowing about it (or asking), though this is doubtful.

This likely means if you wait long enough you'll might get the updated PRL list.

For those who aren't sure what a PRL is, the Preferred Roaming List is what controls how and when your phone roams. Since towers change hands, get built, get turned off, etc, that list is always changing. Periodically Sprint updates their PRL list, and pushes it out to all phones.

This is not an easy hack, so for those who aren't phone savvy, be aware that you will be using some incredibly powerful tools that can literally destroy your phone beyond repair.

That being said, if you follow the simple instructions, then you should be just fine.

This involves several tools, none of which are mine. (There's a change!)

Tools Needed:
    • beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver
    • QPST -- As this is a Qualcomm program, I will not post or link to it here. I used QPST 2.7.264 (or QPST 2.7 version 264 as it is sometimes called) for this). (Hint: Google is your friend.)
    • Your SPC/MSL code. Since the 800w uses an MESID, the normal tools won't work for this. I simply called Sprint, selected the option for tech support, kept drilling down until I got a tech, and asked for it. I told him that I needed to do a factory (also known as an RTN) reset. He happily provided it to me. If they question you about it, you can tell them that you need to reset it and have all the instructions in front of you, you just need the MSL.
    • A normal MiniUSB sync cable.
    • Your 800w.
    • The PRL file you wish to load. (See note below!)

That's an intimidating list I know, but it's really much simpler than the list might imply.

On the PRL list: The PRL list controls a lot more than you might think. If you load the wrong PRL list, you may cause serious issues with your phone. I cannot tell you which PRL to use (as it always changes). Searching Google should net some PRL pages/results.

I can tell you that the 800w came with 60613, and mine was updated to 60614 manually.

One location for PRL's is the Corolada PRL Page. The 800w falls under EvDO w/ Data Triangle on that page.

To apply the hack:
    • Install QPST.
    • Connect your phone to your PC, make sure you have a good connection.
    • On your phone, go into the dialpad and dial ##DIAG# (##3424#).
    • Select Diag passthru. (Note: You do not need to click OK. Simple select the radio button for Diag Passthru. Clicking OK makes this window go away, but you can get back to it at any point by dialing ##DIAG#.)
    • You should be prompted for several (three) hardware installs. All three times point the installer to the location where you placed beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver.
    • Once installed, run QPST Configuration.
    • Click Add New Port...
    • Here you will see a list of comm ports. Don't worry about most of these, the one we want is labeled USB/QC Diagnostic. If you see more than one, that's okay, just add all of them (I had two).
    • One of the comm ports will list a phone. Mine displayed SURF6800. Simply make a mental note of the comm port number for this one.
    • From the QPST tools, launch QPST Service Programming. (Warning: This is an incredibly powerful tool, and it has the capabilities to completely brick your phone, rendering it useless. If you do not know what something does, don't touch it!)
    • Make sure that your phone is selected, and click OK.
    • Click the Read from Phone button. This is where you will enter your MSL/SPC code.
    • Browse to the Roam tab.
    • In the Preferred Roaming box, click browse. Choose your PRL file. (Note: While this shows the 60650 version, this version may or may not work for you, and this may not be the latest version.)
    • Double check that you didn't change anything you weren't supposed to!
    • Click the Write to Phone button. (Note: You may be promoted for your MSL/SPC code again.)
    • Soft reset your phone.
    • Enjoy!
    Last edited by Ebag333; 01/07/2009 at 04:57 PM.
    damn it...I was going to do this! You found my 60650 post at ppcgeeks...lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    /me adds another notch to his Fixed-Another-800w-Complaint belt

I didn't actually. I don't go to PPC Geeks unless someone pokes me and tells me to go there....

I have too many forums I visit as it is.

Anyway, someone had complained that I was (somehow) "abusing" the bug list by "refusing" to add the PRL bug to the list (despite no one mentioning it in the thread). So I figured that since it had been pointed out to me, I would update the bug list and also post a new thread for the workaround.

Mal, did you notice if your phone got updated to 60614?
    no, still at 60613 but there is a 60650 prl file which came out recently...dunno what "changes" there are either.

huh, guess I'll finally get around and do this now.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5.    #5  
    Interesting. I wonder how my phone got to *14 then, given I never asked for an update or did anything that would have triggered one.

And I specifically did not link the PRL file so I could be lazy and not worry about needed to update it.
    Nice, will do this when I get to my PC, thanks again Ebag333!

8.    #8  
    My PRL is 60651.
    lol, dang...

but I heard that one switches your phone's sexual persuasion, ahem.

Edit: Who's phone number in the graphic above? (Directory #)

10.    #10  
    Not mine. (Though it's fairly close to mine...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It's only been a bit - but how is it working for you?
    well, the phone hasn't caught fire and I can make calls, so...pretty good!

lol, i have low standards

I'll post more later tonight/tomorrow if I notice anything

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Anyway, someone had complained that I was (somehow) "abusing" the bug list by "refusing" to add the PRL bug to the list (despite no one mentioning it in the thread). So I figured that since it had been pointed out to me, I would update the bug list and also post a new thread for the workaround.
    That was me. We went over the PRL bug in October following the first new PRL that failed in September.

Since then there was a second new PRL (about a week ago) and people reporting that also would not update. That is why I brought it up.

I am glad the workaround found and discussed in October is now as of today on the new bug list.

Also, the following is not precise,
    OTA PRL updates do not work when you ask Sprint to flag your account. The update does trigger, but it never completes successfully.
    Note: It appears that when Sprint pushes out a mass OTA PRL update the phone will update properly. This bug only seems to happen with the flagged OTA updates. This may indicate that the problem is on the Sprint side, and not with the 800w.
    I spoke at length about this with Sprint in October. The 800w is flagged by sprint not able to accept PRL and therefore no mass updates are sent. So, respectfully it is not that we don't have updates scheduled that we would have have received in a mass OTA (there were two) -- It is that Sprint, as of October, knows there is a bug and can't send them.

Again, and this is not to belittle your good work in now recounting, and putting in a clearer and helpful way instructions for the QPST fix method but QPST, as you note, is not something 99% of Treo owners should be messing with. These are mass marketed devices nowadays.

As far as the bug list is concerned, as I mentioned some time ago a soft reset does not repair the map sorting bug
    In Palm's Maps program (Programs->Maps), if you search for a multiple instance item, eg "usps", "fedex", "citibank" the first couple of times you execute a search the results are sorted by distance order. After that they are random, often returning very great distances and place closer instances further down or not reporting them at all.
    Workaround: Soft reset.
    Also, since you already have notations as to why some items are bugs and some are not, you really may wish to note that the rainbow lines does occur as a incipient hardware failure sometimes. Bug by narrow definition no, but since you mention it and a soft reset fix, you should mention that if after soft and hard reset, users see it stock setup it indicates a problem.

Lastly, for the record, I strongly disagree with the way you describe and characterize the Standalone GPS bug on that list.
    These hacks are getting easier than pie, thanks...all done here! I just wish my home brew would be as fast and easy
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I have not had my 800w flagged thru tech support and have PRL 60650
    The PRL update made my life grand. I was getting an "American Roaming Network" error when trying to make a call from my work basement (terrible service). Now I can make calls/data sessions. Everything is great. Thanks, everybody.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I spoke at length about this with Sprint in October. The 800w is flagged by sprint not able to accept PRL and therefore no mass updates are sent. So, respectfully it is not that we don't have updates scheduled that we would have have received in a mass OTA (there were two) -- It is that Sprint, as of October, knows there is a bug and can't send them.
    The automated system does trigger a download to the phone. I've had phones previously which could not receive a download from Sprints system, and am familiar with what happens in those cases.

The download of the PRL starts (it says as much), but either the download never finishes or the update never gets triggered to install. I don't know which of the two is the problem, and frankly it doesn't much matter.

As far as the mass update goes:

Interesting. I wonder how my phone got to *14 then, given I never asked for an update or did anything that would have triggered one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I have not had my 800w flagged thru tech support and have PRL 60650
    Some (certainly not all, or perhaps even most) 800w's are getting the PRL updates. Why they install on those phones and not others is unknown. Again, for the purposes of this thread it doesn't really matter.

The primary purpose of this thread is the instructions on how to do a PRL update manually, and the additional comments regarding the PRL updates are purely informational.
    Continued from another thread (didn't want to continue to derail...)
    However, I do have a question Mal. I'm looking at the 60650 PRL list, and it's listing not only whats's assigned but if data is allowed.

Isn't it possible for certain roaming networks that data is not allowed in one PRL, but is in another? Or even that certain bands/channels change that may or may not open up EVDO?

/me edits

Ack, huge pic. Sorry. Click through to see it.
    In short, what I think you are asking is: Can PRL lists be hacked?

Answer: yes

To what extent and what are the ramifications of doing so, I don't know, but there are people who do this around the 'nets.

19.    #19  
    It was more of....can a PRL effect data, which towers you get, 1x vs EVDO, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    JMO, but most anecdotal reports of improvements from PRL updates are wishful. I mean, people report better digital signals, faster EvDO speeds, etc. which is all not possible.
    From what I'm seeing, it appears very possible indeed (though not very likely to happen, which is another topic for another day).
    It was more of....can a PRL effect data, which towers you get, 1x vs EVDO, etc?
    I believe so, but if Sprint doesn't have an agreement with that company, you could be charged data roaming.
    From what I'm seeing, it appears very possible indeed (though not very likely to happen, which is another topic for another day).
    it's a long debate with no clear consensus--I'll just leave it at that, as I've typed a lot on the issue in 5 years. lol

Poor battery life & PRL threads: found in every WM discussion forum

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast