Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by techfury90 View Post
    I highly recommend upgrading to 60650, because of one major change made to the PRL's header: you cannot accidentally roam on systems not in the PRL. In Raleigh, NC for example, I've noticed that Sprint phones would accidentally pick up Kiwi PCS (a local "unlimited" carrier) when losing Sprint signal, instead of Alltel or Verizon, and sometimes required a PRI reset to be able to ever pick up Sprint again. Installing 60650 now prevented the phone from landing on Kiwi, since it is now restricted to just Verizon and Alltel for roaming partners in that area. That's the main difference between 60614->60650, along with removing all NEG entries, since they were made unnecessary by the change to disallowing systems not in the PRL (you can notice this up at the top of the QPST roaming list editor, I believe the checkbox is labeled something like "preferred systems only").

Edit: I also noticed about 10-15 more SIDs for KDDI in Japan for international roaming purposes, but I haven't investigated further.
    There are many reasons why a PRL is in many areas very important and can end up
    • costing many people not on the newest plans lots of money
    • costing people on plans that include unlimited roaming time calling sprint because the system sometimes bills people with unlimited roaming for roaming anyway
    • getting your service terminated (happens quite a bit according to many sprint users forum members),
    • getting frozen out of EVDO,
    • your GPS not working optimally,
    • Your phone unnecessarily missing calls because you are on non evdo data
    • suboptimal call quailty
    • Required PRI resets in some roaming situations without the latest PRL
    • etc
    There's also picking up a carrier that Sprint has no roaming agreement with (such as in my case) as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    So the long and the short of it is that it's the same as when I worked for Sprint.
    Lol I did miss that. Now a lot is clear.

One correction: The long and short of it is it has changed three or for times in the past few years and it still depends entirely on what plan you have and where you live.

What I said is the latest PRL is not iportant and means nothing to most people, It crucial and very important to 10 or 20% of the people who live in areas with a lot of carreir agreements with Sprint or marginal coverage. They can end up going from zero roaming charges one month to $20, $50 or hundreds of dolalrs in roamaing charges the next month when doing nothing to change their own habits or use areas.
    So what is the trick to get the phone to update? I called customer care today and they flagged my account. I perform the *2 and the update starts and after a short while the voice starts the press 1 for this, press 2 for that. I restart the phone and it still says 60614.

I called customer care again and they said it shows the update not completed. They said to try it several more times and to make sure I have good signal. Still no update. However it did perform a power vision update when I did the first restart.

Is there a way to make it work other then the hack?
    Thanks for any help!!!
    Its the hack or nothing. The 800w cannot update using *2.
    Can it be done in the store?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Don't all Sprint plans include free roaming? I've had it ever since I've signed up with Sprint in 2000. My last plan, the Fair & Flexible 450, had it too.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by dewdiehl View Post
    Is there a way to make it work other then the hack?
    Apparently some phones are being updated automatically. If you *REALLY* don't want to do the workaround, then you can just wait.

Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Don't all Sprint plans include free roaming? I've had it ever since I've signed up with Sprint in 2000. My last plan, the Fair & Flexible 450, had it too.
    Yup.

The debate was over how much roaming you can use, and whether you'd get terminated or charged. But lets not go there as that's a thread derail.

If you want to know how much you can use, go ask Sprint. I'd be willing to be dollars to doughnuts that the rep will tell you "as much as you want".

Make a record of that (easy to do if it's an eCare online chat), and if you ever happened to use a ridiculous number of roaming minutes, and got a charge or a letter, you could forward on what the rep told you and get it dropped.

I've yet to see or hear of anyone getting charged or a termination notice for using too much roaming. Sprint did go through a while back and terminate people who were abusing their network, but IIRC those were people who did things like call in about their account everyday, get tons of credits, etc.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    What is the exchange rate for dollars to doughnuts?
    What is the exchange rate for dollars to doughnuts?
    Heheh, yeah it depends... are you talking Krispy Kreme or Dunkin?
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Heheh, yeah it depends... are you talking Krispy Kreme or Dunkin?
    Dunkin's like the Canadian dollar to Krispy's US dollar.
    No they don't. You have to remember that the majority of sprint customers are not even on the plans you see on the site today. Sprint changes plans and terms over and over.

In fact on your plan and Ebaggs current Simply everything if it has limited minutes and on his former Fair and flexible there is a direct loss of minutes from roaming that was not mentioned. All those, even new plans, remove m2m (mobile to mobile) free minutes benefits when roaming. So if you have 300 minutes and a plan with "free: roaming, while roaming you use minutes from your plan even if calling to a Sprint phone from a sprint phone! which would otherwsie not be deducted from your mintues.

Many Sprint customers today are billed between $0.25 to $0.69 per minute of roaming.

Someone tried to derail the thread by challenging the letters some people receive on getting terminated for using too much roaming due to sprint changing roaming agreements and people with old PRL's using more roaming as a result. This was minor citation of a single issue effecting a small number of people withing the larger issue of people harmed by old PRL's for other reasons.

That is minor in numbers compared to the other significant issues, like charges (often $100 roaming charges in a month), slower data, poor voice quality, missed calls while on data etc that can plague people in marginal areas with older PRLs.

Even more to the point, even people with roaming and data roaming included get erroneously charged because of old PRL! you can se that on the "Sprintusers.com" board. What do the experienced Sprint techs on that board say to that: "call to get the charges reversed and get the most recent PRL"

Also as some are unaware Sprint is resold by several small regional carriers. People are walking around with Sprint phones that are actually customers of smaller regional carriers that have pass though agreements with Sprint.

Lastly no one said everyone need the latest PRL the minute it is prmulgated. What I said was there are goups of epope for home it is very important because of objective loss of utility (call quality, dropped calls, slow data) and money (lost m2m for everyone, roaming charges for some) in some arfeas of the country.

Because of a few people insisting that since they don't have a problem or need, that means they reject others who objectively do the thread was derailed.

The most up to date PRL are absolutely important for some people. Sprint pushes PRL to those people regionally. You can bet there are areas of the country where everyone but 800w got pushed PRL and the only reason why the 800w was removed from the automatic pushed PRL list is because Sprint knows it has a bug in intercepting the PRL.
    Last edited by aero; 01/10/2009 at 11:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If you want to know how much you can use, go ask Sprint. I'd be willing to be dollars to doughnuts that the rep will tell you "as much as you want".
    And the fact that the Sprint rep in your "ecare" cut and paste did not say you will in fact on roaming use your minutes even while you are on supposedly non plan minute using mobile to mobile call, means they don't care about your dollars or donuts!
  14.    #54  
    Can we please stop the thread derails and keep this thread on topic?
    Yes I dont know why you took it off topic.

Or why some people insist an issue that costs money and reduces plan minutes for many people isn't an issue?

Why say PRL's are unimportant when anyone in a marginal area knows it costs them minutes, call quality, text messaging problems if they are not as up to date as possible.

Some people are posting their plan specifics with question to ecare -- when they are on plans that are the minority and claiming that therefore there isn't an important PRL issue for others That is "derailing."
    Let's try to simplify.

Everyone needs the most up to date PRL even if they roam free.

Why? Because without the most up to date PRL, you may not be able to access the network on which you would roam and wind up with no signal at all.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Let's try to simplify.

Everyone needs the most up to date PRL even if they roam free.

Why? Because without the most up to date PRL, you may not be able to access the network on which you would roam and wind up with no signal at all.
    Not always true. Sometimes the most up to date PRL removes roaming towers/partners, which is why some people prefer an old PRL, to let them roam where they wouldn't otherwise.

The great thing about this method is you can use whatever PRL you want.
    So a Sprint repairs store can not update the prl?
  19.    #59  
    Not unless they're using tools that I doubt they have access too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I have not had my 800w flagged thru tech support and have PRL 60650
    Me, too... No hacks and I have 60650.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast